Any love for TOTEM speakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chris C, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

Not to offend anyone who cannot hear the difference with the Beaks, I do hear a difference on my Hawks. When I place the beaks on the outside rear corner, my soundstage expands and the highs are slightly cleaner. I do not hear a whole world of difference. Whether the beaks are on the speaker or not, they do sound wonderful. Whether the beaks are worth the extra money only you can decide.

2. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

I've had Model 1s for 12 years, in three rooms of various sizes.

I've used several types of transistor and tube amps and they have never sounded bad. I added a Storm sub last year (bought from Audio Alternative, BTW) replacing a Hsu Research sub. They blended quite nicely and that took care of the lower registers once and for all. I think Model 1 Signatures with a Storm sub might be an overall better purchase than a pair of Forrests...more choices for placement and the sound should be comparable. Maybe even a little less money, too.

They'll rock with the proper input and they image like nobody's bidnezz...

3. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

I utilize Model 1s as mains in a multi channel HT setup. Although I only have DVD-A in there right now, they work nicely in two or multi channel. I never liked loud setups so like Chris, I appreciate the clarity and imaging the Totems offer.

My main listening area is in a loft area of the house and I still use my Snell Model J's there. The Totems would probably need some lower end help because it's too open of an area there.

4. StereoFanOregon

StereoFanOregon Forum Resident

I own the Dreamcatcher's and the Mites, and have the Rainmakers on extended review. I like all three, but to my ears the best value for the buck are the Mites. Unlike any other Totem's they are 8 Ohm and can be driven nicely by a lower wattage amp.

The Rainmakers require a bit of work in finding the proper position, otherwise the bottom end gets a bit lost. I do think they are a hair bright in my room, but that is more due to the hard walls and no curtains. But like all Totems, they have outstanding imaging. I believe that's due to Vince Bruzzese endless hours of "ear" tuning.

You can find the Rainmakers used for between $550-$700 on Audiogon, the Mites for $400, and the Arro's for $700-800.

5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last! Thread Starter

Thanks for the continued input on this thread. I'm still debating the TOTEM line and I've started listening to a few others, that are often praised.
    (NOTE: Please keep in mind that I'm looking for an alternative to my PARADIGM STUDIO 100's, v2)

So far, I've listened to these...

B&W (800 and CM series) I just don't hear what some others are hearing and they left me unsatisfied.

DEFINITIVE TECHNOLOGY (Mythos) These speakers really kick some butt and are out of reach of my spending limits, at $1799 each, but, as a previous owner of built-in sub Definitive Tech speakers, I did and still do, believe that there's "something" just short of sterile, with their imaging. These speakers really rock, but they don't have anywhere near the soft acoustics, that the TOTEM line delivers. If I were looking for a "rocking" speaker, this might do the job!

KLIPSCH (RF-82) I often read about the greatness of the KLIPSCH line on this forum and all I can say is, NEXT. Two minutes into Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams" (Their choice, not mine, for the demo) and I was ready to move on. Please know that I'm very familiar with the RUMOURS album and I've never heard "Dreams", sound so flat and empty EVER. I figured that these speakers would rock, but they were just boomy, with terrible mids, IMO.

I'd love to hear other speakers, but living here in Ohio, my limited dealers of "boutique"-type speakers are VERY rare and all that I'm left with, is the same speaker lines, at the top end guys. I live in such a "WALMART" world, with WALMART buying people and I don't need to tell you how much that matters, when you want to be an "individual", standing away from the masses...

Chris C

6. Chris C

One more thought that I'd like to add...

Is it wrong to not want a "ROCKING" speaker, but to still want a speaker that rocks, but with more acoustics and great highs, mids and lows? I'm starting to wonder because I can't seem to find "THAT" speaker...

Do I really have to fall into the "listen only to Diana Krall or Norah Jones-like artists", just to find a speaker that will play well acoustically? I mean those artists are alright (I'm a HUGE Sinatra fanatic), BUT, I also want to be able to crank it up a little when playing the likes of Pink Floyd, The Beatles and Steely Dan.

Chris C

7. hukkfinn

hukkfinn Senior Member

You are fully within your rights! My Vienna Acoustics Beethovens sell for around $1900 used and give me all the window-rattling rock-tacular pounding I'll ever need with my Beatles, Steely Dan, Eagles etc LPs . . . as well as allowing the music to get emotional and touchy-feely quiet when it's Norah Jones' or Diana Krall's turn. They are also imaging champions.

However to get the head pounding factor, I think you need to power the hell out of them -- even 200 watts per channel is probably not enough for my demands. This statement may apply to any speaker you eventually want to rock the house with.

Hukk

8. ducatirider

ducatirider Member

I have had my Mani-2s for about 10 years now and I love them. They take a lot of juice to drive them properly. The floorstanders and the moniors don't sound alike at all to me though. I feel the floorstanders sound a bit darker and not as lively.

9. Chris C

I'll have to investigate those VIENNA ACOUSTICS! Loved the "window-rattling rock-tacular pounding" line

:laugh:

Chris C

10. Chris C

Again, yet another in the fantastic TOTEM line that I must hear, but sadly, no dealer nearby with them on display.

Thanks...
    Chris C

11. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I don't believe most floor standers reach down to 20Hz unless they have built-in powered subwoofers.

12. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I just bought another pair of Totem speakers.
    I got a pair of Mani-2s this time and am really getting to like them.
    Right now I have them on some Target R4s but am waiting for the Totem T4L stands to come in, they have a bigger top plate and larger pillars.

I originally had the Model 1, first generation, but sold them, regretfully. I think I will get another pair in the future. Maybe The One, their 20th Anny model.

For a while I owned the Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SEs, which are great speakers, but decided to go back to Totems.

While the Mani-2s are a bear to drive, my Pass Labs, Aleph 5 seems to be up to the task. The people up at Totem's Tech support felt that Class A amps, particularly the Pass I have, are a great match.

Just thought I'd add this post after doing a search, and finding little here on the SH forum.

13. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

Congrats on the find. As if I needed reminding, the 1s are the one constant in my ever changing system.

Have you tried Totem monitors on 28-inch stands? I had my 1s on 24-inch Targets for ten years and, after raising them up a bit, the sound improved greatly. I suppose the reason is it put my head and the speakers on a more even plane.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I bought Totem Arro floorstanders in 2003 and love them. They don't look like much, but they sound great.

15. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I was actually leaning towards 20 inch Target R2 stands, but after talking to Tech Support up north, I decided to buy the stands Totem pair with the Mani-2. I am not tall and my seating position would put the tweeters well above my ears with 28" stands, I think. And I think 20 inch stands would put the Man-2s too close to the floor, they really are powerful in the low end.

I am going to keep my 24 inch Target R4 stands and I am seriously considering buying another pair of the Model 1 Signatures. I don't know if The One, the 20th Anniversary model is more expensive or better than the normal model 1, so I will have to find out before I buy, but I am with you, the Model 1 is a great speaker, to these ears, and I think I should want to keep a pair as a reference.

I'd really like to hear those in my listening room. I am very sold on Totem and smaller, two-way speakers in general.

And now that my LP12 has a Lyra Helikon SL hanging on the Ittok LVIII/2, I am really satisfied with the sound, for now.

16. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

How do the Rainmaker's sound setup along a long wall in a room that is only 17x12 feet?

Pat

17. simplefi

simplefi New Member

I demoed a pair of Model 1 signatures against a pair of Aerial 5B with both musical fidelity SS and ARC tube amps. The ARC/model1 was the most memorable combo and sounded great. Vinylmatters, do you have any experience on how the model 1's would fare with lower powered (~30 wpc) tube amps such as primaluna?

18. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I am running my Mani-2s with 60wpc and they sound fine, in my room.
    I think you could get away with 30wpc on the 1s, as long as the room isn't big and you don't play at very loud levels.

19. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I heard a pair of Totem Earth speakers last night and was quite impressed so I'm now hoping to upgrade from my jmLab 820s. For a little more money I could get the Totem Wind speakers with their slightly older technology. Anyone compared those two Totem models?

20. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Hey jkm, were you at HiFi Center last night?

Indeed those Earths sounded good for a small box! Pretty good bass extension.

21. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Totem to me is a style premium product which IMO means that they are focused on the attractiveness of the speaker and while they sound good I often find better sound from significantly less expensive loudspeakers. And I find I only like certain models in their line-up. And they require a lot more power than most speakers which severely limits your choices of future amplifiers - for example maybe one day down the line you want to try a SET amplifier or other low powered tube amps - with Totem - you can't. Many a SET amp owner came from 200Watt SS - so perhaps one day you want to explore why.

My advice is to try and find a higher efficiency speakers with gentle impedance as you can AND that has the fuller range sound you want. Higher efficiency (not necessarily horns) will present (generally) a more open lively presentation and a less boxy presentation or deader sound that is often what I hear with Totem. years back I auditioned the model 1 directly against the B&W CDM 2 which was 2/3 the price. The B&W was more engaging dynamic open and lively sounding - indeed I like it better than B&W's more expensive tweeter on top CDM1 NT (which is now the 705). B&W isn't particularly my favorite either.

If you're more of a tone guy over pinpoint imaging guy I would look at some classic speakers from Tannoy and certain Klipsch models - The Tannoy Canterburry for example. If new I would try and find something like (not specifically) the Audio Note AZ Three floorstanding speaker which retails for $2k. [​IMG]

I am not specifically saying go with this because to be blunt the brand is often hard to find - but I would definitely try to audition speakers somewhat similar in terns of High Efficiency and are relatively simple two way designs - the AZ Three for example is good to 25hz in room at 94dB sensitive from the 8 inch HEMP woofers and non bright silk dome tweeters. 7 watts is ample to get them going. I would suggest others but off hand I can;t think of similarly speced speakers that are not horns. But as you can see you are not going to get the pretty wood you will get from Totem.

Here is the Tannoy Canterburry which used can be had for about $2,000 - $2,500

[​IMG]

pierre168 likes this.
  22. Electric

Yes, indeed I was! Did you get to talk to Vince Bruzzese, the president of Totem? He had me at "You are a hip guy." ; )

I have to make a quick decision on which Totems to get.

23. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Yes I did speak to him. Classy guy. Very much enjoyed the demo and the chat. Great to talk to a no-nonsense and personable fellow... Definitely goes a long way towards customer appreciation for the brand.

Good luck with the purchase if you go ahead! I'm sure they'll bring years of joy with good music :).

Electric likes this.
  24. Electric

Did you happen to get his card? I'd like to email him. If not, I'll call their office when they open tomorrow. I hear they have great customer service.

I have an in-home demo lined up. I am so excited!

25. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Does Vince still have that gravity defying hairdo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.