Any Love Here for John Hiatt

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rck60s, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Well-Known Member

2. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Bring The Family was out on SACD and DVD Audio, that is certain.

3. eelkiller

Please fill out your profile. Thanks.

4. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

My bad....it was Master of Disaster that was released as a SACD. That MOFI Gold is the way to go!

eelkiller likes this.
  5. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Been a big John Hiatt fan for many years. I think he ranks behind John Prine in the pantheon of singer/songwriters who have never quite received their due. The fact that many of Hiatt's songs have become hits (for others) demonstrates just how good a songwriter he is.

6. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I was at his label A&M his whole career there and the closest we ever got was Bring The Family and Slow Turning......The problem was that in order for you to get Gold you have to had netted 500,000 after returns were accounted for..He got close but after returns he never stayed over the criteria.....

7. rck60s

rck60s Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I will be with him on 9/12 and will mention that idea to him....

mrjinks likes this.
  8. Mike Marshall

Done. Happy?

eelkiller likes this.
  9. Wonder if he ever reached that goal in Europe?

10. Yeah I had Bring The Family on SACD. It wasn't bad as I recall but prefer the MoFi.

11. No.

Lol

Mike Marshall likes this.
  12. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

I bought Walking On Thin Ice when it came out. It was one of the last LPs I purchased before buying a CD player and didn't keep up with him (other than his songs when covered) until I heard Bring The Family, which I loved, especially Memphis In The Meantime. Then, when I first heard Buffalo River Home on a sampler disc I ran out and bought the CD... and everything else I could find by him.

13. eelkiller

:D

Mike Marshall likes this.
  14. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

He's everything complimentary everyone has stated.

IMO, aside from being a kick ass songwriter, he is an incredibly fun and humorous performer.

He also always attracts GREAT musicians and he loves to play LOUD. You will be blown away how he takes a pretty mellow song and cranks it up loud live. I've seem him play shows with Bonnie and he often is second act and sits in with her for a couple of tunes. He's like an Energizer Bunny

I've seen numerous gigs where he's played with bassist Davey Farrager. Just a nod to a side man that's not to be missed.

I love me lots of Hiatt!

By the way, Bring the Family is a top 50 rock record, IMO

JoelWat likes this.
  15. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

[​IMG]
    His style really evolved after that album. And the sex change/name change...

16. bearman16

bearman16 Senior Member

Drive South is one of my all time favorites.

Skydogg likes this.
  17. eelkiller

Is this now a Beatles related thread. :goodie:

18. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

And I can tel you that the Mofi CD comes very close to the sound of the original Sterling Mastered A&M vinyl. I've never heard the MoFi vinyl though.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes! favorite is Slow Turning...

20. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

I love the guys songwriting and enjoy reading his lyrics, I put him in the same category as John Prine.

But I don't care for his albums. They are just not musically very interesting. I have borrowed his CDs from the libarary just to read the lyrics on the tray booklets. But just never got much out of listening to the CDs.

21. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I became a John Hiatt fan with Bring the Family and saw him on tour for that as an opening act for Robert Cray, then at the height of his notoriety for "Strong Persuader. I later saw him again touring for "Stolen Moments" at the first seat center stage at New York's famed The Bottom Line. When you get sweated upon by the act it doesn't get any closer!

I lost touch with Hiatt's music after Little Head, but returned with "Mystic Pinball" which I like quite a lot. I've also been picking up vinyl copies of most of his early work, usually in pristine shape for just a few dollars each. It's funny to see how he kept being marketed differently, the record companies tried hard to lump him in with the new wave music prevalent at the time. I first saw him during that period of "Radio Girl" as an opening act for whom I don't recall at The Bottom Line. I do remember I liked him and that he put on a high energy performance.

22. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

John Hiatt is very underrated. Considering his current age and relative lack of recognition during the 1980s, I would say he does very well as an artist. John has written more hits for other artists than Lucinda Williams, so maybe she's even more overlooked than he is...

23. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

He's been making good to great records for years but doesn't repeat himself and I think that prevents a connection with the mainstream...that said I think he's really just starting to come into his own the last few years as he's had a steady excellent band that inspires him as a performer and composer...

24. Mike Marshall

What a great, complex, simple performance, production and instrumentation. One of my all-time favorites.

25. botley

botley Forum Resident

Yes, I saw him live a couple years ago backed by the same band that appears on the new CD/Live DVD package. A fine showman as well as a songwriter, although sometimes I prefer to hear other people sing his songs. Aaron Neville's note-perfect rendition of "Feels Like Rain" is a particular favorite, though Buddy Guy's arrangement is also choice.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
    BluesOvertookMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.