Any Midlake fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian Gupton, Oct 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was listening to my Rdio stream last night while I was dozing off to sleep. These guys came on and it sounded so good that I actually woke up and bought an album off Amazon right then and there.

Been listening to them this morning and love the sound. Any Midlake fans here?

What should I know about this band?

2. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

You should own the last 3 albums at all costs.

The Trials of Van Occupanther
    The Courage of Others
    Antiphon

Antiphon is when they changed their style from folk to more of a psychedelic/progressive rock type. The lead singer left and the band kind of changed up their material.

Gaslight and Brian Gupton like this.
  3. Brian Gupton

Brian Gupton Forum Resident Thread Starter

Adding to my list. :)

4. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Antiphon is my favorite of the bunch, but very different than the others.

Machiventa likes this.
  5. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

"The Courage of Others" is, I think, an acquired taste for some people, but I think it's brilliantly recorded, produced, and the songs and vocals are fantastic.
    I like "Antiphon", but I find they've lost the magic without Tim Smith.

6. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

I'd say out of the bunch 'Trials' is the best, but 'Courage' is up there as well if you're into stuff Druids would listen to.

JimC and James Bennett like this.
  7. katywu

katywu Forum Resident

Have the the last three albums, all good. Antiphon is definitely more accessible than the others and a grower. The change might actually prove very successful for them, be interesting to see what comes next.

8. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

I love The Trials of Van Occupanther and The Courage of Others, but lost interest when Tim left.

Mother likes this.
  9. izaboo

izaboo Forum Resident

The Trials of Van Occupanther continues to freak me out in the best possible way. I think I'll spend the rest of my days sorting out that very dense, astonishing album. The other releases for some reason, never clicked with me, but there's magic for me in The Trials of Van Occupanther - can't explain it. Suppose that's what we all love about music - sometimes there's a way in and if you step through, the music will be with you forever!

Stefano G. and Davey like this.
  10. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

I like em all but Antiphon is the one I play the most, but yeah it's entirely different from their earlier material.

GodShifter likes this.
  11. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I've enjoyed their last three, but as mentioned they are all different (in particular the last one with the lead singer replacement).

12. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Agree about the debut, pretty unique sound. They backed John Grant a few years ago on his great debut The Queen of Denmark too, probably a bunch of mentions in the vault if you don't know it already ...

13. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Antiphone is fantastic ! For me the best album they did so far.
    Saw them live in Germany in February and they were such an incredible talented and friendly bunch of guys.
    They managed to deliver nearly every detail of the records on stage. Their vocal harmonies are simply stunning.
    Love 'em !

Machiventa likes this.
  14. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

I dig those first 2 pretty well, but I agree with others that Antiphon is a switch-up.

15. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

There are several existing Midlake threads you may be interested in.

16. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

^ Wow, I didn't know that! I like John Grant. Been a casual fan from way back with The Czars.

17. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

18. James Bennett

James Bennett Forum Resident

Not only did they back John Grant, they also engineered and recorded the album, as they do all of their albums I believe.

The album I believe Q Magazine's album of the year, and it's great.

I remember reading something saying they would work on John Grant's album during the day, and "Courage" at night; which would explain its dreary nature.

Davey likes this.
  19. Davey

Davey NP: Portishead ~ Portishead (1997)

Probably so, there are similarities and they are all pretty loud on CD, but seem to open up a lot on vinyl, which would likely be Brian's preference. Kind of a shame the CDs aren't a little more dynamic since they do seem more in control than most bands, but also kind of a lost cause at this point.

southamorican likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.