Any "Missing" Rolling Stones Songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dolstein, Jun 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolstein

dolstein Senior Member Thread Starter

I read in another post that ABKCO is in fact adding three bonus tracks to the More Hot Rocks collection. But has anybody figured out whether there are any officially released Rolling Stones songs from the London era that will NOT be on ANY of the upcoming reissues? If memory serves, there were one or two tracks from the UK Got Live if You Want It EP (not to be confused with the US LP of the same name) that never appeared on LP, so I presume that those are still MIA.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes.

Everybody Needs Somebody To Love/Pain In My Heart (essentially a medley) is not on any of the other CDs. There are also some otherwise unreleased tracks that showed up on a German box set that are not included: "Con le Mie Lacrime", "Tell Me Baby, How Many More Times", "Memphis Tennessee", "Da Doo Ron Ron" and "********er Blues".

With the release of Metamorphis (the UK version, no less) on CD, *most* of the stuff is taken care of...

3. dolstein

So do you think ABKCO is unaware of this one missing track (the German tracks don't really count, since I don't believe their release was completely legit), are are they simply hoping nobody else notices?

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, I'm just about sure ABKCO is aware of the track, as they were given a copy of the FAQ, which mentions it.

I suppose the issue is, "how do you reissue a *live* EP?" It's *technically* possible to stick that song on More Hot Rocks, but I do think it would be a bit out of place - one live medley complete with introduction, all by itself.

I suppose the "ideal" solution would be to do a "Deluxe Edition" of GLIYWI (both EP and LP), but where do you start? There are two distinctly different versions of the LP out there (the original stereo mix and the ABKCO CD version), and even if you ignore the vocal overdubs, it's not clear that the songs are even live. As has been noted before, Satisfaction has a piano, Under My Thumb has a marimba, and I'm Alright has the same backing track as the EP version.

Ok, so this is going a bit off course. But yeah...what's really a good solution?

5. dolstein

Luke -- I think the proper solution would have been to either add all the EP tracks as bonus tracks on the Got Live if You Want it LP, or add them as bonus tracks to one or both of the Out of Our Heads CD (if I'm not mistaken, one of the live tracks already appears on the U.S. version). Of course, adding the single live track to More Hot Rocks is certainly better than simply ignoring it, which is what ABKCO appears to have done. With 22 albums in the reissue series, it's criminal that they couldn't find room for every officially released song/performance from the London era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.