Any Nancy (comic strip) lovers here?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulB, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulB

PaulB Forum Resident Thread Starter

I know this was a pretty dumb strip, but I used to love it as a kid and always was the first I'd read. The original author of it was the best. Why aren't there any Nancy books on sale!!! :realmad:

2. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

3. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

You know, I just read Nancy again for the first time in about 10 years! The last time I had read the strip it was just as lame as it was when I was a kid (IMO) - sometimes funny, sometimes not. I noticed this past week that the new artists have updated Aunt Frizzi (sp?). She's kinda hot now!

4. PaulB

That's kinda what I liked about it, that it was dumb and kinda lame. It was relaxing to read, no need to think a lot to understand it and wasn't belly laugh enducing.

5. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

It's "Fritzi", and original artist Ernie Bushmiller drew her pretty easy on the eyes as well. Here's a vintage strip from the '40s:

[​IMG]

Bushmiller was very smart to make Nancy's aunt a hottie, because people had to have *some* reason to check out his strip apart from the largely non-existant humor! :D (Only Carl Anderson's "Henry", with the completely bald little boy or midget or whatever the hell he was, was less comic among comic strips.)

6. stereoptic

Wow! Strips like that would make me want to read it everyday!

here's a panel from a few Sundays ago

Attached Files:

7. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I wish I remember where I saw it, but it was a lesbian publication that lauded Nancy as one of their own that they all secretly recognized as girls. It had a number of humorous clues. I'm surprised that Sluggo wasn't hailed similarly by punks as "punk before punk".

8. PaulB

I always thought it was funny that Aunt Fritzi was so glamerous and beautiful while Nancy was so dorky looking. I also used to think, there are parents that look like Aunt Fritzi!?!

9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Always my favorite as a kid too.

Joe L.

10. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

This is only one of several books Kitchen Sink published. All out of print I believe, but they are around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3952&item=2272866902&rd=1

11. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

I liked some of the old Bushmiller stuff, but I can't stand anything about the strip in the last 25 years or so.

Underground artist Howard Cruse did a must-read four-pager about 'Raising Nancies'. Here is a link.

12. bob g.

bob g. Senior Member

Porkopolis? ;)

Attached Files:

13. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I agree...sometimes she is, but to me in some frames she looks like she's been popping steroids - look at this coloured panel. I think I preferred the Bushmiller way. :sigh:

I kind of liked this music themed one. Corny, but rare that you see a comic strip with musical humour. :D

Attached Files:

14. PaulB

I can't get into the new Nancy. The art is just not right. Even if the joke was really bad, I got enjoyment just by looking at the frames of the classic Bushmiller strip.

15. stereoptic

Based on the attachments in this thread, I gotta agree with ya! I never realized

It appears that Guy and Brad Gilchrist are country music fans (from Hank WIlliams to Travis Tritt) - Nancy Artwork

16. Wufnpoof

Wufnpoof Well-Known Member

Looking at the frames posted here from the original strip, I realize I liked this comic more than I remembered. I wonder if I'd also enjoy "Little Lulu" and the Casper strips now?

Hey thanks for the Howard Cruse link, Michael - I've got "Stuck Rubber Baby, " and some collections of his other work, but hadn't thought to look him up on line. Glad he's still keeping busy! :thumbsup:

(Warning - Howard Cruse's comic universe has little in common with Ernie Bushmiller's)

17. Ready Steady Go

Ready Steady Go Active Member

My dad recalls the NANCY comic strip from the early 40's, particularly a sequence during World War II: seems after Pearl Harbor, Nancy went around smashing all of Aunt Fritzi's vases and ceramics that were labeled, "Made In Japan." One wonders how soon before the "new" Nancy is setting fire to all the Persian rugs in the house...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.