Any new music releases on the way in Dolby Atmos?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by maxwell2323, Oct 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am aware of INXK's KICK, and REM's Automatic for the People. Anything else out there now that I have missed? Or anything new on it's way?

KEENLY1 and SinnerSaint like this.
  2. Ogre

Ogre Active Member

What's the resolution on these? Was not even aware they did music releases in this format.

fluffskul likes this.
  3. maxwell2323

maxwell2323 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I do not know.

4. Glen Mulder

Glen Mulder HD Movie Source

Karajan has a 2 disc Blu Ray Audio Beethoven Atmos

5. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Doesn't need to be any specific resolution, Atmos is just a method of encoding spatial information, it'd be a bit like saying what resolution is Quad?

I believe the two titles mentioned are available in lossless 24bit on those Blu-ray discs, and are backwards compatible with standard 5.1

Being from the 80s/90s however, those original recordings are a product of the standard resolution digital age

maxwell2323 and Uncle Ernie like this.
  6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Kraftwerk's "3-D The Catalogue"offers a Dolby Atmos mix. The surround mix is already mind-blowing in 5.1 (that's all I have), but it's supposed to be even better in Atmos.

[​IMG]

7. Glen Mulder

Nice will look out for Kraftwerk

wolfram likes this.
  8. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Love this release. The Atmos mix is stunning. Sound flies at you from all around.

wolfram likes this.
  9. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

2L is a Norwegian classical/avant-garde label that's done a lot of releases in a combo SACD/BD-Audio pack with Dolby Atmos. Some of it is pretty out there, but this one is very accessible repertoire: REFLECTIONS (2L-125-SABD) TrondheimSolistene . It was nominated for 3 Grammy awards, fwiw.

[​IMG]

10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Forum Resident

The live blu-ray of Hans Zimmer sounds amazing in Atmos. Very well mixed IMO.

11. wolfram

I would love to hear it in Atmos one day.

KEENLY1 and Pizza like this.
  12. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I believe I saw 128 Kb/S when streaming through netflix

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm hoping my next A/V receiver will offer Atmos, even if I'm not anywhere near prepared to venture into it yet.

(Speaking of the Karajan Beethoven, Naxos really let us down by taking that 42-mic project Skywalker Studios did with the Colorado Symphony a few short years ago, finally taking the initiantive of a potential immersive mix on Beethoven's 9th. When it finally came out, the hard copy was only on CD, so no surround. Maybe the iTunes and/or Amazon Music releases were surround, but I see no proof of it. I can only hope the potential interest for Atmos product could give this recording the shot it deserves in a proper multichannel application)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  14. Pizza

Thank you. Ordered.

15. wolfram

If you are looking for a really immersive mix of the 9th, I can only (again) recommend this TACET release:

[​IMG]

It may only be in 5.1, but it makes heavy use of all of these channels.

[​IMG]

hiterss, lbangs, KEENLY1 and 6 others like this.
  16. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

That's kind of amazing.

wolfram likes this.
  17. wolfram

They have released all 9 symphonies like this. They come on 5 separate SACDs or on a 3 Blu-ray set. All sound great imo.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Was particularly interested in the Colorado, as I know the orchestra, and the Hall. Also Leslie Jones from Skywalker produced it, with all-Neumann products...and there was such a strong backlash from conservative listeners about the "mustache-on-the-Mona-Lisa" heresy of straying from the God-intended 2-point mic system. So I'm not above repeatedly shaming Naxos for disappointing. ;)

I do know the Tacets by reputation, of course.

wolfram likes this.
  19. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

It's not particularly immersive.

20. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

"Automatic For The People", the Atmos mix(or however you'd say it), sounds simply incredible in regular stereo...so I would imagine someone with an "Atmos" speaker system would be in for a real treat!

Joel1963 likes this.
  21. Glen Mulder

They should bring out a stand alone Blu Ray for the Atmos and stereo REM: Automatic for the people

Pizza and Vinyl Socks like this.
  22. Pizza

I agree. I've grown tired in general of surround discs being locked into box sets.

The Revealer, scobb and wolfram like this.
  23. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Just upgraded my AVR to an Atmos capable one and added in a pair of Onkyo upfiring speakers for height handling. I’ve plenty of Atmos films via iTunes purchases, most of which are audibly better than the material via my older 5.1 setup.

Played INXS’ Atmos Mix Of Kick through it and was blown away by the cavernous sound, which still maintained its musicality. Michael’s vocals sit well above the stings, punctuated by the guitars and percussion. Fabulous stuff.

Also did the concert film of Roger Waters’ The Wall which also improved with the addition of the height channels and improved imaging around the sound field in general that Atmos seems to be offering.

I’m tempted to splurge on REM Automatic for the People, based on opinions offered on here. The album was always a favourite and I can imagine the sparse arrangements around Michael vocals could work well in Atmos, giving everything space to breathe.

ceddy10165, Vinyl Socks and Pizza like this.
  24. Wired4Fun

Wired4Fun Forum Resident

25. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Wired4Fun likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.