Any news of a stand-alone release of The Monkees Head remastered DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiodrome, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I’ve tried looking for some new info regarding the remastered DVD of the remastered “Head” but everything I came across just pointed back to its inclusion in The Monkees Season 2 DVD box set.

I already have the original DVD box sets of The Monkees Seasons 1 & 2 so I’m not really interested in buying the shows again on DVD.

Has there been any word of the remastered “Head” DVD with bonus material ever being released as a stand-alone version ?

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I suppose it's possible but I wouldn't expect to see it. It's more of a "for hardcore fans" kind of thing that they throw into box sets as an incentive item.

3. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Did you mean the 1969 TV special 33 1/3 revolutions per Monkee? That is on the season 2 DVD box, Head however was NOT included
    in any of the Rhino DVD sets.

There was a standalone 1998 DVD of Head which is a full-frame remaster (I have not seen it other than the special features on a bootleg), so for all I
    know it's a VHS transfer ? Andrew Sandoval would know the answer and did do an interview a few years back ( I'll have to google).

Head is included in the BRD (Blu-Ray disc) 2016 box set from Rhino and a BBS 2011 DVD and BRD box. The Rhino BRD is the same as
    the 2011 one which was remastered by Criterion and in widescreen and new extra feature.

I see the standalone go for sale on ebay, or you could probably find a bootleg somewhere.

4. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member Thread Starter

I have the original 1998 “unmastered” DVD but I was hoping that there might be a plan to reissue the version that was included in the 2016 Complete TV Series box set as a stand-alone Blu Ray/DVD release. This was newly remastered from the original negative and included never-before-seen bonus footage.

I wasn’t aware of a 2011 standalone DVD release with bonus footage. I was under the impression that the new remaster had been done along with the TV episodes for the 2016 box set.

Here’s the info for the 2011 BBS box set edition:
    Head

and here’s the info for 2016 Seasons 1 & 2 box set edition:
    The Monkees - Complete TV Series Blu-ray

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  5. Eobard Thawne

Eobard Thawne Forum Resident

Andrew Sandoval said the 1998 DVD is NOT a VHS transfer , but a new restoration he supervised. And it's more true to the film
    as it's full-frame and shot in it.

There was no standalone 2011 DVD , it was only part of the BBS box. What I meant was collectors were selling the disc from the box set separately on ebay (minus the other movies).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.