Any one with experience of MQA CD

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Whay, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whay

Whay Forum Resident Thread Starter

It seems more legit than blu spec since you need a specific DAC and all, but I dunno. I don't mind spending extra for some new releases to sound better, but I want to know if it actually sounds better than CD.

2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

No

SteveKr likes this.
  3. art

art Senior Member

Sound worse to me. Processed.

SteveKr, The Beave and McLover like this.
  4. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Yes - for two weeks or a bit more, along with a couple of friends. The discs are all from CD Japan. I’m getting ready to post the results of listening sessions. All of the MQA CDs we used were compared to their non-MQA versions during the listening sessions.

5. Whay

Nice

6. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Since they are JDM (Japanese domestic market) only for now, I’m guessing you’ll get very limited 1st hand experience on an American forum.

7. JMCIII

JMCIII Music lover first, audiophile second.

Cheskey has an MQA encoded CD available right here in the US. Be warned however, that not all DAC's can accept MQA coding from co-ax or optical, only from USB. In order for me to hear the full unfolding of the Cheskey, I have to play it back through my MacBook Pro via USB to my DAC. That said, I do hear an improvement. But to each ear their own....

LeeS likes this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

LeeS and Whay like this.
  9. harby

harby Forum Resident

The Japanese are more receptive to electronics as trendy or stylish, and will buy in to new technology even when it is far from the best on its technical merits. See Minidisc. Probably a calculated move to find some suckers.

SteveKr likes this.
  10. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Pretty quiet topic, is this going to be the next quick death formats?
    Very little discussion on them.

11. Whay

I think so, like the blu spec CD, this is just gonna be another Japan only reattempt at the compact disc.

The Beave and Rick Bartlett like this.
  12. Rick Bartlett

maybe Techmoan's video might spark some interest:

13. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Except . . . Techmoan never got it to work properly. The video has been posted in other threads before, several times.

goodiesguy, wgriel, Kyhl and 3 others like this.
  14. One can hope. In this day and age, I can’t see the need for a new lossy format, particularly as it’s now being pressed on CD which - obviously - has the capacity to house a non-lossy signal.

goodiesguy, Kyhl, Dave and 2 others like this.
  15. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Agreed Shawn, my money won't be investing in this...

16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Please stop with these Techmoan videos. I have home improvement work to do today!

Just...one..more...video....

17. Rick Bartlett

Ah, get to work then and make some big $$$!!
    Can't you see i'm trying to entice you into this expensive format?
    :evil:

Whay and Gaslight like this.
  18. harby

harby Forum Resident

19. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Not really.
    There are three cheap samplers that have an mqa CD and it's regular CD counterpart available for $10 each at cdjapan.
    I used those on my OPPO 205 and concluded that the mqa version, although different, did NOT make for a better sounding experience over the CD version.
    Just different, mostly a slight forwardness in the 1-2k range.
    But ymmv.
    Me, I'm done with it, as it didn't impress me.
    Beave

art, Whay and Shawn like this.
  20. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Did they come from the same masters? If not, the comparison is flawed.

showtaper and Akapaz like this.
  21. Joint Attention

Joint Attention Forum Resident

I have a DAC that will decode MQA, but really no interest in this. Would much rather just download lossless hi-res, for less money.

Shiver, eric777 and Whay like this.
  22. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Who knows and who on Earth cares? We never planned on making note-for-note comparisons of the two Getz/Giberto release, Blind Faith releases, Aja releases, Mozart Requiem releases, etc.. The point of the comparison was not to undermine MQA or support MQA or do anything other than try to determine, as reasonably as possible, which release listeners preferred.

Should the masters be identical? Ideally, yes. But because none of the MQA group reveal the source of the ‘masters’ used to create their so-called “Master Quality Authenticated” version, it is functionally impossible to match masters in the context of an effort intended to culminate in an comparison review on an audio forum.

Of course my comparisons may be flawed, but until @Carl Swanson comes up with a way of matching masters, I’m just going to have to bungle along in my amateurish effort to continue trying to figure out why all of the home listening sessions I’ve done or conducted so far with MQA files fail to live up to the carefully prepped and structured show demos conducted the the MQA group itself.

Even the act of using the exact same master as the one used to produced an LP release in 1963 and a CD release in 1992 and an MQA-CD or streaming file in 2018 is bound to reveal sources differences because of the aging of the original tape and because every re-use of the tape causes minute deterioration and associated changes all on its own. Using material produced with the same master is always preferable when doing a direct comparison, no question about it. But we all have to suck it up and admit that a few more masters or master copies or master backups that were available or usable just ten years ago, aren’t viable today. That means alternative sources are supposedly being used in some cases by the MQA group. That means, also, any hint that it is even vaguely reasonable to suggest that only identical source master comparisions are valid is a completely unrealistic.

I am also sure, based on the audible results of listening to hundreds of MQA files/streams (and now UHQ-MQA-CDs too) that it seems certain that some of the masters that the MQA group may be using are digital masters. I haven’t yet taken the time to try to find out (if it’s actually possible to do so) the master source for the Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers UHQ-MQA-CD release, but I’d bet real money it was the master used to help produce fifty year old LP I own or the twnety-two year old CD I own. Anybody else want to kibitz in here and help me out?

Which brings up yet another sore point about MQA. The MQA group seems to have been largely completely silent, as far as I can tell, about which “masters” they’re using to create all the MQA files being supplied to TIDAL HiFi, among others. If MQA was legit to begin with, one would think that the MQA group would be detailing its master sources (at least every so often) rather than remaining completely silent on the matter.

It all makes absolute comparisons exceedingly difficult. So is the MQA group just short-handed and therefore unable to spare anyone one in the marketing department to pander to audiophiles by providing a list of master sources every so often? Or would the MQA group just prefer that we all shut up and let them get on with whatever actual business plan they’re up to with the labels and some of the streaming services?

23. Whay

well said

24. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

I watched Techmoan's video that was cited above. Since there was a malfunction involved in the comparison (either the music file or the DAC or both), I wasn't persuaded by the presenter's final assessment that the MQA sounded better. Perhaps when the DAC switched back and forth between MQA and CD quality, the CD quality bit was not played correctly. But what I heard was that the MQA sounded louder, so maybe the gentleman was subject to the "louder = better" mistake. Dunno, but the more I hear, the less interested in this "new technology" I am.

goodiesguy, siveld, wgriel and 3 others like this.
  25. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I choose Door Number Two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.