Any online stores that still have brand new Technics SL-1200 mkII turntables?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Phono Groove, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Five years from now when Stanton's are not made anymore THEY will be going for stupid prices. I find it hard to believe, when these were new, that they were held in as high regard as they are now. Not saying they are junk, just that the were probably thought of as just another turntable.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Well-Known Member

Find another turntable that spins a record as accurately as a 1200...

It's no surprise the 1200 series is by far the most popular turntable model in history.

3. ceebee

ceebee Active Member

Found a NOS 1210 about a year ago for somewhat north of the going rate for well-used copies, considered it a great purchase, fitted it with a new AT-440MLa - and it's fabulous.

4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

:cool::thumbsup:

5. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

Yep...I found one at Guitar Center last year...if someone is really jonesing for one, I suggest they look there. Hopefully the jerks...er....capitalists ignore this and don't buy them just to jack up the price on it and sell it at a profit on eBay. It'd be nice for folks to be able to find one at MSRP still new in box. At the time, GC had four of them :)

6. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I never though much of the 1200mkII but I was looking at a MK5 at Guitar Center and it had me salivating.

7. googlymoogly

googlymoogly Forum Resident

Now that they're not manufacturing these anymore, I would hesitate buying one. I got one for a great price some years ago, have modded it to my satisfaction, and have no intentions of getting rid of mine...but the very low starting price made that a feasible path. Now that even used Technics 'tables are going for several hundred bucks, I'd look into something else. The Technics has some great features, and is reliable as all get out, but there are other fish in the sea. In addition, back when you could buy fairly cheaply, you could have KAB modify the table and you could start with a solid performer. Now getting there costs so much more.

8. motorcitydave

I see your point, but the Technics offers a lot even for around a grand. Plus, why not have a rare piece? They're just gonna go up in value, really.

9. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I got a 1200mk2 for £100 ($150) on eBay last month. Fitted it with a new lid (spares of pretty much every component are readily available), and it looks and sounds great.

10. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

The only problem is, these turntables really aren't that rare, they've been on the market for decades and use to be a staple among DJs and really didn't have much competition until the last decade or so. I owned two back in the 90s (which I sold in 2000 to fund college) and four years ago bought a new 1210 M5G and recently another 1200 dedicated to 45s. Maybe finding new ones in the box might be rare but used ones can be found quite easily in the $300 range in decent enough condition.

11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

The Stanton ST line Direct Drive is acceptable but nowhere near the Technics in build quality or in longevity. The STR8 tonearm models are best avoided.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Do you have any pics of it? That's the sparkle/fleck paint, right? :thumbsup:

13. motorcitydave

Right, I hear ya. I meant having one new in the box or one that's been very carefully used ie just playing records, not DJ work. And the the M5G, Mk. 4, or Mk. 6 models. Sorry for not making this clear...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.