Any opinions about Bang and Olufsen stuff? Looking for opinions on the BeoSound 2000

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fjhuerta, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

I agree completely. When I sold hi fi, I had a good rapport with another store that sold completely different (and very good) products. I was happy to send business their way because they treated our customer with respect and a happy customer does remember where he was given good service.

2. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

A B&O/Bose type of person doesn't even necessarily want even a midline Pioneer or Onkyo receiver and components, nor do they want to add a DJ mixer to a minisystem, and buy components after that either.

3. John B

Bradley,

You've hit the nail on the head. Most people want something that appears like advanced technology. It's much more appealing than an old tube rig. The best sounding equipment looks dull.

4. BradOlson

I looked at B&O's website and they appear, IMO, to have "devolved" into fashionable mid-fi gear for overprivileged yuppies.

5. BradOlson

True, although I have a minisystem that most people buy at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. but I only use the AUX and once in a the radio so the minisystem and DJ mixer are the equivalent of a receiver, linestage, and phono stage to me and it's for the sound and is why I have a wall devoted to sound equipment in my bedroom which is not what most people want.

6. John B

I hear you. Most people want to hide it.

7. BradOlson

But not me, because I really know what good sound is and don't necessarily come from something small and it ain't from hidden speakers or equipment at all.

8. BradOlson

I looked at B&O's website online for the pricing and yes, their stuff is way overpriced for what you get, IMO. The same with Bose.

9. b&w

b&w Forum Resident

Well I would agree with the merits of value of sound quality vs other products however keep in mind no one is making anything that comes close to the design and manufacturing quality that B&O does. When you have no real competition you can set your own price. That coupled with the fact most people in the higher income brackets equate quality with higher prices leads B&O to be priced like it is. I know I am singing the same song here on my posts, but B&O has it's place in audio. The same way in wall speakers, all in one systems and cost no object hi-end audio does. They all serve specific purposes and classes of buyers and in the end anything that helps people listen to music..is a good thing..

10. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

Very interesting discussion on the apparent / real value of B&O, comparisons to other brands, etc. Thank you very much.

Here's how the story ends.

I went today to my father's house. The B&O was pretty dirty, so I told him I'd give it a clean-up, and give it back to him. He told me to keep it, since I'd definitely never get one of those for myself (not at $2K, dad. You are right!).

I cleaned it pretty well. Installed its old pedestal. The thing looks phenomenal, stunning, beautiful. I passed my hand in front of it - wow, what a smooth gliding system... the CD tray opens as if a motorized servant was working for you. I loaded up the Norah Jones SACD, and prepared for the worst.

Guys and girls - you do bash B&O far too much. :) Sure, it's WAY overpriced. WAAAAAY overpriced. BUT- guess what? The damn thing sounds GREAT! It doesn't have any real [sub-100 Hz] bass to speak of, lacks a bit of dynamics and overall SPL's, and soundstaging is virtually non-existent, with the integral speakers, but it definitely does the job well. The little system has incredible midrange - real and seductive, and clear highs. To be quite honest, I'd consider it a $600 - $700 system, but I was pleasantly surprised with it. I can honestly say I have never heard an off-the-shelf minisystem sounding as good as this one (though I'd think a custom minisystem based on the smallest B&W 600's would probably beat this one).

Considering the speakers on my "serious" listening system cost exactly the same as the little B&O (my Margules A3.2), I'd say the mini is doing something right.

And the thing is 10 years' old by now... *still* looks out of this world.

I love it... I hope this doesn't mean I'm an overprivileged yuppie with fashionable mid-fi gear, though (or was that dude my dad?) ;)

11. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

No, actually...only if you shop at this uppity local mall that our local B&O shack is located at. :D The whole mall (pretensiously named "The Somerset Collection"...you can't even walk in without sticking your pinky out and your nose in the air ;) ) just reeks of BMWs, $20 hamburgers, expensive espresso, and the overpriveleged disposing of their disposable income on basic clothing that cost more than most of us earn in a month. B&O strangely seems to fit into that mall. :laugh:

I just prefer to buy my audio gear at a store that specializes in carrying more than one brand. Just something about the atmosphere of it, being able to compare, perhaps even make a deal if I'm a good repeat customer. A single-brand store (especially a pricey one) just has an air of beauty, utility and prestige that puts the sound quality dead last on the list. Not really knocking anyone who owns it, since it's not really BAD gear (there is better sounding stuff for the money, of course, but you're also not buying junk made in China), but the opening of our local B&O store in its present location just put it in a whole new light for me.

Now, if you WANT to be overpriveleged, a yuppie, or gain an eye for fashion, maybe there's a class somewhere for it... ;) And actually, if your dad likes Martin Logan gear, that's really a whole new definition of "coolness" in my book. :D (M-L made one of the best speakers I'd ever heard, which I couldn't afford. ;) )

12. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

Rudy... actually, the whole B&O thing started because I gave my MartinLogans (their smallest model, actually) to my dad. He later told me he had wanted to own those speakers since he first saw them :)

13. cho

cho New Member

B & O are cool sexy, for yuppies and all those other good and not so good things. I have a B & O TV for 11 years (28 inches screen) and the pricing then was equailvalent to a 34 inches Sony TV. 11 years later, all my friends had dumped their 34 inches japanese TVs long ago while my B & O still delivers stunning and "analogue" picture PLUS a stunning appearance. The emporer new clothes are worth something.

By the way, I have a good hi-end stereo system (not B & O) but I find the B & O music system delivers decent sound.

It's the same with cars. City dwellers do not need SUVs but Americans can't live without them. As far as I know, most SUVs go off-road only in accidents.

Let the consumers decide. :laugh:

14. MARKM

MARKM Member

B&O really did make "proper" Hifi once - the "golden" period being 1960 to 1975, i.e. Beomaster 900 / Beolab 5000 / Beomaster 5000 / Beogram 3000 etc.

So - vintage is always an option.

PS - my Mother has a B&O tv which is 13 years old and is still going strong, looking great and has a great picture.

MarkM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.