Any opinions about Rogue Audio Ares vs. Mcintosh MP100?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by amgradmd, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amgradmd

amgradmd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking to upgrade my phono preamp from PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter and am looking at the Rogue Audio Ares and the Mcintosh MP100. I'm thinking I'll probably keep the PS Audio unit for it's ADC capabilities including double DSD, which is pretty sweet, if I get the Ares. If I go for the Mac, I'll compare and contrast the Mac vs. the PS Audio in terms of ripping. I know the Mac only rips up to 24/96 in PCM, which is definitely a strike against it, in my book. I could port the Mac into the "analog in" into the PSA unit and rip DSD 128. Really though, I'm looking for a little "tube" sound in my setup which includes my Anthem AVM60 pre and Mcintosh MC205, both solid state gear. I've heard the MP100 which is a pretty special phono pre, I must say. Granted, it was hooked up to a pretty sweet all tube Mcintosh system including their new monoblocks, so it's hard to separate the tube sound of the phono pre from the rest of the amazing system. It was still dead quiet and dynamic with great top to bottom balance. I forgot to add that the table was the amazing ClearAudio Innovation TT with CA Maestro MM cart with Sonus Faber Il Cremonese speakers. Like I said, a pretty sweet system, and the MP100 seemed up to the task. I haven't heard the Ares, though. Has anyone heard both of these supposedly lovely phono pres? A friend swears by the Rogue unit, but I haven't had a chance to audition his unit. So any opinions out there?

2. amgradmd

Bump. Surely someone has an opinion here?

3. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I gave an Ares paired with a VN TD150 with a SMEvarm and Grado Reference Sonata. It plays dead silent and has a very liquid sound. I really like the setup but I still listen to 75% digital.

amgradmd likes this.
  4. amgradmd

Would love to hear that setup! Up until recently I've been 75% digital as well, more or less. I've recently upgraded my speakers (B&W 804 Diamond) and TT (Fern and Roby Montrose with Soundsmith Zephyr cart) and am now enjoying a renaissance in vinyl listening! I have an Ares coming in for an audition and am excited to give it a listen. I still wonder about that Mcintosh, though...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.