Any other universal Blu-Ray players like the Oppo UDP-205?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KeithH, Oct 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

As my collection of Blu-Ray audio discs has grown, I am thinking of upgrading to a nice universal player. I have not kept up with developments in this area in recent years, but it seems there is not much competition now for the Oppo UDP-205. This I guess is not so surprising given the popularity of streaming.

The Oppo '205 runs about $1300, and reviews I've read are largely positive (audio and video). It seems that Denon no longer makes universal Blu-Ray players, and the current Sony ES and Yamaha models do not look like a competitor for the '205.

Are there any other universal Blu-Ray players in the realm of the '205 (e.g., price, performance, build quality)?

Thanks!

tmtomh likes this.
  2. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Cambridge Audio CXU Blu Ray is a universal player. Price is around the Oppo 205.

tmtomh likes this.
  3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip!

4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

The CXU isn’t 4K, the 205 is. If that matters to you.
    The CXU is also discontinued so finding one may be tough.
    Their new model is a transport only, no internal DACs.

I recently bought a CXU, so far I’m happy with it

tmtomh likes this.
  5. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Music Direct is selling them for $799.99

Fritz Fernow and Doc Young like this.
  6. moops

moops Senior Member

I have one of these and so far have been very happy with it.
    I doubt it has the build quality of an Oppo ..... but it's not priced like an Oppo either.
    Plays everything I want and it also decodes HDCD ..... which isn't listed in the specs on the site but is listed in the manual and is confirmed in the display when you load a disc.

CD Mode is a nice playback feature ....... it basically shuts down everything in the player not needed for CD Playback.

BD-S681 - Overview - Yamaha - United States

7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They have the model listed as "no longer available".

8. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

High Fidelity likes this.
  9. MuSid

MuSid New Member

Cambridge Audio has just launched a new player CXUHD that is 4K it supports UHD discs, HDR and Dolby Vision

I am thinking of buying it; but haven’t done so. I think it should be very good given their history.

Bear in mind the cxuhd does not have a DAC so you will need a AVR or similar for taking in digital sound. I do have the CXR200 AVR. Incredible sound quality - in line with their musical heritage. My 2c is they have made a smart move by salving money on the dac as most people. Using a kit this price will probably have a AVR.

tmtomh likes this.
  10. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The only deal breaker seems to be that it doesn't play "full resolution" DVD-A, if I'm using the right terminology.

I'd like to hear about other alternatives to the Oppo 205 that are in the $500-$1000 range. My requirements are SACD, DVD-A and at least 4k upscaling. I'm happy with my Onyx HDCD CD player. Oh yes, RCA outs are mandatory.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Do you mean........apart from the obvious OPPO UDP-203...:confused:

OPPO Digital - Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Players - Buy Direct from the Manufacturer

chili555 likes this.
  12. Jerry

13. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

Best value ,but no analogue outs is the Sony X800

PhantomStranger likes this.
  14. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

You can download November 2017 Stereophile, Free pdf , not suprisingly Kal says the 205 sounds best with the expensive exaSound e 32 Dac only $3499

15. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Cambridge 752BD / CXU (see if you can find NOS for either)
    Yamaha BD-A1060 (or earlier 1040)

Don't think there are any other manufacturers currently doing all the "main" physical disc formats, including HDCD. And even that's going!

16. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

I am also looking for a new player. Don’t know what to get. The Sony X1000 has dropped in price to the same price as the Oppo 203.

17. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Marantz UD7007. $1200. Between similar Oppo and Marantz models, I went with the Marantz because I found the audio a bit more natural. That being said, Oppo does video a tad better, IMO. I listen more than I view, but love my Marantz for both audio and video.

18. Brother_Rael

I'll caveat this by saying, having owned the 7007 for a year that it isn't - IMO - Marantz finest hour. A very sluggish interface, slow load times and reasonable but not exceptional build and a sound that while very good, didn't for me make up for the operational issues.

My 2c only and these aren't going to be issues for everyone. Enough for me to ship it out for the (also IMO, better) Cambridge ultimately.

ianhilluk and KeninDC like this.
  19. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Really?

20. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

I have both the Oppo 203 and 205. You'd be surprised how good the sound is from the analogs. It doesn't have the full resolution of the 205 but it comes uncomfortably close when you consider the price difference. It can easily be set up for stereo. I probably wouldn't recommend the 205 unless you use the balanced in/outs.
    The Cambridge players are effectively Oppos with electronic upgrading done by Cambridge. The newer player mentioned above does not have analog outs, unfortunately.

I also had a chance to compare the Oppo 203 to the Sony X1000es for about a week. The Oppo had a lot more detail and soundstaging on CD's than the Sony, but the Sony was exceptional on SACD's. It had a fuller, deeper bass and more detailed highs than the Oppo. If the remote didn't suck so much, I would have considered getting one. The front display on the Sony was also fairly useless.

Unfortunately, between the popularity of the Oppos, and streaming, the market for upscale players is drying up in this price range.

21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

See the post above.

PTgraphics likes this.
  22. Brother_Rael

It is probably more accurate to say that Cambridge and Oppo use the same Mediatek decoding platform as the basis for their machines. The CXU used the MTK8580. The similarities, I think maybe the menus aside, end there.

23. Jerry

I primarily want a new hi res player to replace my Pioneer 563A (for SACDs and DVD-A) and my basic $75 Panasonic BluRay player. I don't need streaming or WiFi or SACD burning, nor pure 4k video playback. Nor deal with upgrades and fixes. I also want to keep it at $600 or under. That way I can upgrade my turntable or replace it. I'll have to check out that Sony, thanks!

ti-triodes likes this.
  24. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Is there a player (or transport) like the Oppo, with network capability, that would allow dsd files pass thru for use with separate dac? Can Cambridge CXUHD do dsd files?

25. moops

moops Senior Member

Well ...... I guess you can count it out if you need DVD-A.
    Good luck with the search.

:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.