Any Paul Heaton fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Aug 12, 2018.

1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I was a huge fan of the Housemartins. Not quite as hot on the Beautiful South, but I borrowed their cds and boiled it down to one long cdr that I listen to often.

Has Heaton produced any really good solo records? I'm certainly not looking for any Housemartin/BSouth re-treads, but has he written any of those catchy records with well thought out lyrics that I admire?

Anyone still follow him? His voice was pretty awesome back them.

2. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

He is good in U2. :yikes:

3. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Paul has one essential solo album: The Cross Eyed Rambler. Don't forget his collaborations with Jacqui Abbott, which are tremendously entertaining.

Paul Heaton - The Cross Eyed Rambler

Paul Heaton + Jacqui Abbott

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Many thanks. will look into that one

5. Albiegator

Albiegator Forum Resident

Haven't really kept up with his most recent stuff but always thought he was a good songwriter. Beautiful South had a great run of singles in the late 80's to early 90's and what a fantastic record 'A Little Time' was.

DiBosco, Jarleboy and Lance LaSalle like this.
  6. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

A greatest hits comp, due out next month - single:

Jarleboy likes this.
  7. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I like him, loved the Housemartins and really like quite a lot of The Beautiful South. There is something about his singing style that puts me off, but his melodies and lyrics are good enough to keep me listening.

Jarleboy and Sordel like this.
  8. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

I've dipped into his solo albums but never really gave them the time they probably deserve.

Loved the Housemartins. Great lyrics. Shame they called it a day so early. Still listen to them today. Be nice if there was ever an expanded release of The people who grinned themselves to death like there was with London 0 Hull 4.

The Beautiful South splitting over "musical similarities" make me chuckle back in the day as well.

9. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

The solo stuff hasn't grabbed me yet, but the 3 albums he's made with Jacqui Abbott are all really good, with plenty of those great lyrics you're looking for.

I put him in the top 3 British songwriters of the last 40 years, with Paul Weller and Noel Gallagher.

10. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

As a denizen of the East Riding it pains me to say that this most famous resident of Hull is actually the second best songwriter to emerge from the Wirral.

Timjosephuk, OobuJoobu and Jarleboy like this.
  11. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

Good question......I always thought that he was up there with Elvis Costello and Ray Davis as a lyricist, perhaps a bit too quintessentially British for major popular acclaim.
    Before his recent `comeback`, he seems to have been content just hanging out in the pub that he owns and doing occasional performances there.
    Many years ago I used to have a stall at the Record fairs at Hull City Hall, and the `Housemartins` were regular customers, mainly seeking out `Soul` records.

"From Meccano to Legoland,
    Here they come with a brick in their hand,
    Men with heads filled up with sand,
    It's build.
    It's build a house where we can stay,
    Add a new bit everyday.
    It's build a road for us to cross,
    Build us lots and lots and lots and lots.
    Whistling men in yellow vans
    They came and drew us diagrams.
    Showed us how it all worked out
    And wrote it down in case of doubt."

12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

New anthology from Paul just released which includes "hits from his days in the Housemartins, through his time in the multi-platinum pop co-operative The Beautiful South, his solo years, and up to the present day in his long-standing collaboration with former Beautiful South singer Jacqui Abbott."

Paul Heaton Crowned ‘The Last King Of Pop’ With New Anthology

[​IMG]

1. I Gotta Praise - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott
    2. Don't Marry Her - The Beautiful South
    3. Poems - Paul Heaton
    4. Happy Hour - The Housemartins
    5. Moulding Of A Fool - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott
    6. Prettiest Eyes - The Beautiful South
    7. Me & The Farmer - The Housemartins
    8. Good As Gold (Stupid As Mud) - The Beautiful South
    9. Real Hope - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott
    10. You Keep It All In - The Beautiful South
    11. The Austerity Of Love - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott
    12. Build - The Housemartins
    13. Rotterdam (Or Anywhere) - The Beautiful South
    14. She Got The Garden - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott
    15. Old Red Eyes Is Back - The Beautiful South
    16. Flag Day - The Housemartins
    17. Manchester - The Beautiful South
    18. D.I.Y. - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott
    19. Perfect 10 - The Beautiful South
    20. I Don't See Them - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott
    21. Song For Whoever - The Beautiful South
    22. A Little Time (2018 version) - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott
    23. 7" Singles - Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott

13. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

I'm really digging this new version of "A Little Time." I like "7" Singles" too. I may have to get this.

14. Wildgift

Wildgift This is the modern world that I've heard about...

Freakin' LOVED the Housemartins and keenly regret that they never came to where I lived in USA

15. mrjinks

Just got the signed 2LP version of the compilation. Instead of getting an actual signed LP, it looks like they had Heaton sign a flat and then pasted it to the regular album cover.

May not have an opportunity to listen to this for a few days...

Jarleboy likes this.
  16. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

Yes, I absolutely love him and his songwriting, which is 1st-rate. (Having said that, I haven't listened to his solo albums yet.)

His lyrics and style have never seemed overly British to me, the way Ray Davies' or Damon Albarn's do. I can totally get into his worldview, which I can't with those guys.

As a songwriter, I'd rate him above Noel-3-chord-Dad-rock-Gallagher and Paul-nobody-cares-about-me-except-Brits-Weller. Those guys are boring and humorless, by comparison. Heaton's stuff is hilarious, witty, sharp, pointed, and purposeful. Very accessible, too, as I mentioned.

I think the best album so far was Welcome to the Beautiful South. But everyone needs that Housemartins compilation with the blue sleeve.

17. mrjinks

Ok so I finally had some time to look at this, and have to say it’s one of the stupider packaging ideas I’ve seen. The other day I noticed the still shrink-wrapped 2LP wasn’t signed on the cover, but instead had an album flat/slick that was signed and stuck on the cover and then shrink-wrapped. So I take the shrink off and now I see they affixed the signed slick to the ALREADY SEALED gatefold album. What’s the point in that? If I want to look at the inner gatefold I have to remove the shrink and then I no longer have a signed album. :wtf:

Jarleboy likes this.
  18. mrjinks

Wow, that’s a crazy remake - not what I was expecting...

arob71 likes this.
  19. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

My reaction too...I was expecting the usual remake...slightly modern sounding but pretty much the same song....that wasn't what they did at all. I don't know if I like it yet but I do think it was a cool thing to try.

Jarleboy and mrjinks like this.
  20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

He’s a genius :edthumbs::cheers:

21. mrjinks

22. mrjinks

Wish I could see this - hope you Brits enjoy(ed?) it:

daveflossy76, Jarleboy and fitzrik like this.
  23. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Cheers for the heads up. Missed it but just set my sky box to download it on catch up.

24. Kernow Boy

Kernow Boy I don't like it

I thought that it was really good. Saw Heaton backing Madness a few years back and he was excellent - Caravan of Love was stunning live, and I am really only a casual fan of his - talented bloke.

25. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Interesting insight into the world of Paul Heaton. Never realised that their were underlying tensions in the Housemartins!

Wondered why Stan Cullimore wasn't featured?

Rafael Housemartins and Jarleboy like this.