Any Paul Revere and the Raiders fans on the forum??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Oct 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

Just starting to really get into the later '60s Paul Revere and the Raiders stuff. Anybody else listen to this?

2. Bill

Bill Senior Member

Great '60s stuff, but, to me, sticking to the classic rock evolutionary script, they essentially lost it, around the time of Hungry, when Management brought in the session boys and essentially sacked the band, less Paul and Mark. What a waste! Try Sundazed's "Mojo Workout" for the real band live in its prime. An amazing performance.

3. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Big time. Love their work. Have seen Mark Lindsay solo several times over the years as well.

4. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Mark has a website where he is selling a CD he made recently. He even has both an analog and a digital version available. He had 2 tape machines running at the sessions.

5. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Love 'em. So happens that I made a needle-drop of the 2-lp All Time Greatest Hits a few weeks ago. I hadn't listened to it for about 10 years. I really love "Him or Me", "Cinderella Sunshine", and "Just Seventeen". They sound great in the car!

6. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

They rock!!! I have most of the Sundazed CD's and some of their original Columbia stuff on vinyl. A very underrated rock band and Terry Melcher their producer was also very underrated. However, I think their stage antics didn't help them to be considered more seriously as a band with a driving force in the sixties.

7. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Who?:confused:

ED:cool:

8. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Is the this the shortest Ed post on the forum ... ? :)

BTW, I'm a Paul Revere & The Raiders fan ... "Kicks" is my favorite ...

9. James RD

James RD Senior Member

I've always enjoyed the songs. I remember that it was NOT cool back then to admit to liking them. The silly costumes and the band name (see Herman's Hermits). But the music holds up well. :)

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agreed. They had some success though, and probably did OK financially for a limited period. They were not popular outside the US though - understandably with their costumes etc.

Regards,
    Geoff

11. :agree:
    I have The Legend Of Paul Revere 2 disc set along with some of the original Columbia mono vinyls. Saw Mark Lindsay at the Hard Rock Cafe here in the mid 90s. It was a fun show. The hits do hold up well. Kicks, Just Like Me, Him Or Me. :thumbsup: I also like their Eleanor Rigby homage "Undecided Man".

Attached Files:

12. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

They may not have been a band with "serious" aspirations, but they have nonetheless had some real classics. How can anyone deny the validity of "Good Thing," "Hungry" or "Kicks?" I recently saw Revere and the "updated" version of the Raiders (which unfortunately does not include Mark Lindsay). They sounded surprisingly good, and Revere has aged quite well for a dude in his sixties. If they had taken a tougher, possibly more political stance in the 60s, they would have been taken more seriously.

13. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"Indian Reservation" was fairly "political"; but too little too late.

Jim W.

14. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

All they had to do was get rid of those stupid costumes. That would have been enough. They also suffered from over exposure hosting "Where The Action Is." You could see them everyday.

mud-

15. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

True enough, Mud. But the problem was, they were a good-looking band, so naturally the network wanted to take advantage of their image, and unfortunately turned them into a kind of teenybopper heartthrob band. Too bad, 'cos they really could rock.

16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Which reminds me of the Monkees, another group that the network attempted to groom as a teenybopper heartthrob band, but one which would, over the years, undergo a critical reassessment of their place in 60's pop music, something that never happened to PR&R.

Jim W.

17. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I agree. Mark Lindsay could certainly belt out a tune.

Anyone know who were the session players for their studio tunes? I believe Hal Blaine played drums. Since it was a Melcher produced group can I assume he used the same players he used for the Byrds early stuff?

mud-

18. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

I believe that was because each of the Monkees had an identity. The Raiders were pretty faceless and nameless, IMO.

mud-

19. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

I like that song "Him Or Me; What's It Gonna Be?"
    That mug rocks.
    Costumes did suck though
    Peace-
    Norm

20. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

Good point, but when I was a kid watching the Monkees TV shows, the opening credits segment that ran during the opening theme always confused me as to who was who. :laugh:

Jim W.

21. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

:laugh: I'm still confused!!!!!!

mud-:D

22. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Count me in as a fan, a bit more casual of one, but nevertheless, a fan.

23. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The really only good way to hear Paul Revere And The Raiders songs are on the original Columbia 45's, or the Columbia "Hall Of Fame" 45 reissues. Everything else really lays there, especially some of those modern CD remixes. Trust me on this....

24. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I like Paul Revere & The Raiders music as well. Great stuff.

25. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I do! I do have a couple of the mono mixes on CD and they smoke the stereo cuts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.