Any Paul Revere and the Raiders fans on the forum??

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audio, Oct 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrawberryFields

StrawberryFields Active Member

Absolutely. The original mixes, to be fair, were never the greatest, but they get across the grit and genuine energy of the band in a way that all the remixes and remasterings on CD have failed. Even the "Essential Ride '63-'67" CD which features remixing from Vic Anesini falls very short of the mark here. "Good Thing," still IMO one of the most powerful singles ever in its original 45 form, sounds castrated on every stereo remix. (The song was also remixed prior to the "Essential Ride" CD on a double box CD, and it still was lame). The Raiders are one of those bands that often sound better in mono, just as the DC5 and many others with a raw sound did. Still, a great remastering could solve many problems here!

2. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Paul Revere and The Raiders WERE taken seriously in their day. Keep in mind that bands The Kinks also wore flowery type costumes. It was the order of the day.

For a time around 1965/66 early 67, The Raiders were probably the biggest AMerican Band in Rock. They blasted hit after Hit onto the Pop charts and were seen daily on "Where The Action Is", and later on "Happening '68".

Also, the Network (ABC) had nothing to do with the Revolutionary War Costumes. The guys were wearing them as early as 1963 as a stage gimmick in the Northwest, in an attempt to out do the other bands.

So, its really not fair to say that they werent taken seriously. Their records rock as hard as ANYTHING during that period and the productions by Terry Melcher are Top Notch.

And i agree with Steve about the Cd mixes being not so great. However there is an extreme there. The 2 Cd "Legend of Paul Revere" isnt good sounding at all, but the 1999 (i think) Greastest Hits remaster is much, much better. The Columbia Lps arent all that good.

One last thing......the Sundazed Cds of the Lps are excellent . Get the "Just Like Me" Cd, its amazing.

Mikey (big PR &TR fan)

Hep Alien likes this.
  3. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Great stuff,highly underrated.Start off with Spirit Of '67/Something Happening/Midnight Ride/Alias:pink Puzz...it's all great!

4. downhill

downhill Senior Member

I suppose I'm kinda biased. I'm living in the town where the band formed. Heck, anyone over 55 here, actually knew them.

I've met a few of Lindsey's family as I've a couple of cousins that lived in the same area as his family. I had the pleasure of even seeing them play before they were famous.

Doc Holiday still lives in the area. (Original bass player.)

Man...lots of great memories about that band. Kicks had to have been the very first anti drug song.

How about their version of "Louie Louie"? I'm partial to it over the Kingsman's version but imho, it's almost a verbatim of the earlier Wailers version. (Rockin' Robin, baby!!!) 1960 maybe? I'd have to get out my Pacific Northwest collection to see...

Yeah this band could rock but after being associated with Dick Clark, and on hearing an advanced copy of "Sargent Pepper" Lindsey remarked to Revere, "We're screwed"...or something to that effect.

Hep Alien likes this.
  5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Not to those of us who, back in the 60s , read 16 or Tigerbeat.

6. Gary Mack

Gary Mack Active Member

That Columbia Legacy hits cd - with bonus tracks compared to the vinyl version - is terrific. And Him Or Me, What's It Gonna Be? appears in true stereo (first time?) and it just pounds from start to finish. So where's Volume 2?

GM

7. The only Paul Revere I've ever had on CD, mentioned in my first post is the 2 CD Legend Of Paul Revere. What is wrong with it? :confused: I was just listening to it in my vehicle today, enjoying such tunes as "Him Or Me" mono, and "Let Me", another fine Raiders hit.

As far as all of the major labels go, Sony has continually been praised most of the time I've been here at the forum, for their great reissues lead by yer Vic Anasinis, yer Ted Jensens, etc.

8. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

The Raiders were great. Mark Lindsay is a trmendous rock vocalist. If you can find the 45 of Let Me get it. It Rocks.

Joe L.

9. mmerone

mmerone Senior Member

Very underrated. One of the group members made a comment about the Raiders page in the history books being "torn out". Their string of hits ("Steppin' Out" through "Him Or Me") is as strong as any American band of the period (65 - 67), with the obvious exception of The Byrds, Beach Boys, or maybe some Motown acts. I've always enjoyed the 1968 Lindsay Produced, Arranged, and Written L.P. "Something's Happening". The second side, in particular, is a wonderful collection on Pop styles. The follow up L.P., 1969's "Hard N' Heavy" was just as good. Lindsay apparently was not a big fan of this period calling the records "gummy".

Mike

10. rontokyo

rontokyo Senior Member

Listen to it thru headphones. The remixes on that set have a smiley EQ they way you [well, *me* anyways] used to do it when you first started making tapes for the car. Talk about thunka thunka bass. *Nothing* [thankfully] sounded like that in the 60s.

11. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I got my remastered Greatest Hits (with extra tracks) through BMG.

BTW - where's indymike? I was sure that I would find a post by him here....

12. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Their two promo singles SS396 and The Judge are some of the best car tunes ever.

13. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

This is not true. At the time, they were HEAVILY featured as individual personalities (the classic line-up of Mark, Paul, Smitty, Fang, and Harpo) in 16 Magazine, Tiger Beat & other such teen magazines. Their constant presence on ABC TV also fed into this. Their popularity, however was more regional, as their records weren't played as much here in NYC as in the West, Midwest & Pacific Northwest (their home base).
    Coincidentally, I was just listening to Mojo Workout on Tuesday!

14. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Whats wrong with the 2Cd set "The Legend Of Paul Revere"?

Well, it just doesnt sound good!! I believe that two things happened, 1) they used the first tapes they could find in the vault and didnt spend any time to find the best sounding ones, and 2) Something went wrong during the digital conversion. The whole Cd just doesnt have the quality of sound it should have. Just about every OTHER Raiders Cd is better sounding.

I think one problem was that they uses a lot of LP masters for the songs...and the Columbia LP masters arent any sonic wonder.

Just pulled out the mono "Just Like Me" a KILLER!!!

15. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Bur they keep getting harder to find!

I liike 'em too.

16. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Mark Lindsay is, I think, retiring from doing live shows with a New Year's Eve gig in Portland, Oregon. I remember seeing him with a VH-1 oldies show about 10 years ago, and he blew the doors off the place. Lots of energy and that great voice. I also saw the current PR&R, but found them to have a soundalike singer, which I normally detest in general terms, and seemed mostly like a Vegas lounge act, although I agree that Revere himself has aged amazingly well. I've tried to interview Lindsay for years, even going so far as to promise not to ask any Raiders' questions (I know, what would be left?) but never hooked up on it. Maybe now that he's off the road and working on an autobio?

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. mmerone

mmerone Senior Member

Maybe we can get an "Essentials" package with a good selection of
    single & l.p. tracks. "Legend Of" sure isn't that package.
    Well I can dream. can't I?

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.