Any Pixies fans?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Jan 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member Thread Starter

They are really one of my favorite bands. Was so glad they got back together and toured again. Saw them twice on reunion. Better than ever. Here's one I came across:

2. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

I think that I heard "Velouria" once around 1991-1992. That melody stuck with me until recently, when I've picked up Bossanova and Doolittle. They are a really intense band that plays well together. I'd like to see them in concert someday. From what I understand they haven't worked on new material since before the band went on hiatus. Is that the case?

3. Gilliam

Gilliam Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I hav only heard one new song from them. Not sure f they even plan to tour again.

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

In my top 10 all time favorite bands. I really enjoy the first two albums and need to listen to the rest of their catalog:)

5. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

6. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

I love their first EP and first two albums. I saw them live on the Doolittle tour back in '89.

7. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

love them and frank black's solo work. "trompe le monde" was my favorite when i was in high school, but all their albums are great.

8. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

You betcha! Very cool band. Both Frank and Kim have great other projects as well.
    -Bill

9. Millertime428

Millertime428 Forum Resident

Yes!Actually, just heard the b-side "Manta Ray" on the way to work this morning. I thought it was cool of them to play this at the Doolittle anniversary shows a few years back.

10. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Yup one of my favorite bands for sure!

11. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

Love me some Pixies. Doolittle is one of rock's perfect records.

levi, Synthfreek and Millertime428 like this.
  12. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

Wasn't MFSL going to release Tromp Le Monde on SACD and LP?

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I like 'em, though it took me a while. I saw them open for U2 in 1992 and heard some of their songs from the late 80s through that date but none of them ever did anything for me.

When they reunited in 2004, I decided to go on a semi-whim - got a front row center ticket off TM the day before the show! - and prepped by listening to the "best of" compilation I'd owned for a few years but never played much. (The Pixies got so much critical love over the years that I felt I should give them a shot, but I didn't muster the enthusiasm to try until the show was in my face.)

Ended up really liking the compilation and the show. Got all their albums soon after that - not tough to do! :) - and saw them twice more live.

Not a huge fan - and honestly, they're kinda dull live - but I do like them quite a bit...

14. Oatsdad

Yup. There might be a couple of tracks I don't love, but overall, that's a killer album...

15. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I came very late to that party. Until their re-union tour a couple of years ago, I only knew "Where Is My Mind", but a friend dragged me to their show and I got all their albums then. It took me a while to get into their stuff, but now I'm a big fan. Great band.

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Yeah I kind of like them...

Also it might be cool to point out to the newer members who may not know this, that our own Steve Hoffman co-wrote the opening track of the Bossanova album.

lightbulb likes this.
  17. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The Pixies are one of my favorite bands and one of the biggest influences on my own music. The frantic way they'd play with verses/choruses to rush to the pay off rather than waiting for 4 iterations is one of the best developments in rock music ever.

I love all their albums (and the single b-sides too... especially "Weird at My School"). But my favorite overall album is Bossanova and one of my favorite all time songs by anybody is "Velouria."

My top 10 Pixies songs...
    1. Velouria
    2. Hey
    3. I've Been Tired
    4. Is She Weird
    5. Alec Eiffel
    6. Wave of Mutilation
    7. Weird at My School
    8. Where is My Mind?
    9. Planet of Sound (single version)
    10. Trompe le Monde

Question: Which one of the Neil Young covers do you like better? "Winterlong" or "I've Been Waiting For You?" I could go either way!

18. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The Pixies were great. I'm always a little amused by upbeat, perky Pixies fans because they were one dark, twisted, pre-verted sick little monkey of a band. And I mean that as a compliment.

19. Oatsdad

Didn't I just post that? You ripped me off! :D

20. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Doolittle was on constant rotation when it came out. Saw them live twice around 89-90 and they were great. They opened and blew away both Bob Mould with the Golden Palominos and Jane's Addiction. Haven't played or thought about them in 10 years but back in the day I was a huge fan.

21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Anyone got any info on this? Made in France-Picked this up in 92 3 picture cd single set Discogs don't have much on it
    [​IMG]

22. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Definitely in my top 10. The MOFI vinyl remasters sound great, but I would go ape if they remastered "Come on Pilgrim" for vinyl. The UK cd with Come on and Surfer Rosa is essential.

My favorite track has to be "Hey".

23. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

To quote from the movie that made the best use of a Pixies song ever: "You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake".

:D

vonwegen likes this.
  24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Having gone to UMass in the early '90s, I kind of burnt out on them, but what a band. I saw them on the Tromp Le Monde tour and they were fairly terrible - dead boring and no passion. Based on that, I wasn't expecting much with the reunion but the Coachella show was absolute magic.

25. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Love them. Saw 2 re-union shows, first was great and second time a couple of years later OK.
    It's great that they were able to get together and capitalize on their reputation, because they are great and did not reap many rewards first time around.
    If they continue as a band they really should put out a new album....but it will be compared against their faultless earlier output and perhaps this is why they have hesitated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.