Any planned music purchases with what's left from the stimulus check?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Say It Right, Apr 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired Thread Starter

Have to get the T-Rex - Electric Warrior MFSL SACD from Music Direct. The Joe Jackson - Body & Soul SACD (Intervention Records) won't be out until end of June, but will be essential.

Have been meaning to get the recent Neil Young - Decades remaster. Thinking of The Who - Maximum A's & B's box set to fill in the remaining holes in the collection. That Paul Young - Live at Rockpalast 1985 CD/DVD looks terrific, especially for an artist, who's been kind if forgotten.

What's on tap for you?

2. Kate_C.

Kate_C. abyssus abyssum invocat

A family that rents a modest little home just down the street has 3 precious children and even in the best of times not a bit of extra spending money, let alone now that both are furloughed during the pandemic. My check goes entirely to them and the thanks will be music to my soul. Consider giving if you truly have extra, especially with otherwise unanticipated income like the stimulus money. :)

Pancat, Duncan Day, Trace and 91 others like this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I’m lucky to still be working as of this week but I have no idea how long it will last. Anything i make, from anywhere, is going into emergency savings.

ARK, joy stinson, Joti Cover and 18 others like this.
  4. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I keep checking for Homegrown at Amazon. Neil has the artwork up on NYA.

I’m ready, too, Neil!

5. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I would hope anyone who qualified for a check probably has more important things to spend it on.

MikeT, ARK, Trixmay 988 and 25 others like this.
  6. Greg Gee

Greg Gee "I tried to change but I changed my mind..."

I haven't gotten any stimulus money and I did put all my purchases on hold until there's a clearer picture on CV-19, but I'm seriously considering an order for the new MoFi SACD of Electric Warrior by T. Rex tomorrow. Just one won't hurt, will it? We'll see. ;o)

steelinYaThighs and Say It Right like this.
  7. Greg Gee

You are a saint.

8. Greg Gee

We think alike...I just read your OP after I posted about Electric Warrior. I was reading that thread this morning. ;o)

Sean and Say It Right like this.
  9. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

I'll be saving most of it, but the odd purchase might be in order. I was in the process of looking for a job when all this hit...luckily I have a decent amount saved, my wife is essential and working from home. I've purchased three albums over the past four months, waaaay down from my normal amount. This will help me keep up with new releases...If I get really lucky and this thing breaks it could fund Record Store Day for me and my wife.

10. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

My check will be held in savings in case my son who lives in Seattle (and is laid off from the restaurant industry) runs out of money.

11. What Stimulus check? I haven’t gotten one. Yet. If and when we get one since we are both still working (health care), I’m donating mine to the food bank.

Duncan Day, ARK, joy stinson and 25 others like this.
  12. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I’m still working, but our dishwasher broke, so all my spare change went to purchase a new one.

13. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

I was going to get the reissued Band of Gypsies, but I'll hold off since my siblings may just in case need help with rent.

ARK, joy stinson, Fruff76 and 3 others like this.
  14. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

bills first...

ARK, joy stinson, WMTC and 8 others like this.
  15. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I am incredibly fortunate to continue to earn my living while hunkering down.
    I do not qualify for the stimulus, if I do - I'll be one of the folks that gets it in September.
    All of it will go to charity.

Personally, I would sooner hand it over to a musician who lost their gig income before I contributed to the estate of a deceased rock star. But we are all free to spend how we like; so long as it isn't buried in the backyard - putting your stimulus back into the economy is what it is there for, that's how we get out of this.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  16. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Individuals making over $99,000 or couples filing jointly over $198,000 will not receive a check. I think some members of this forum are in this category.

joy stinson and audiotom like this.
  17. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

I am also fortunate to be working and hunkering. I qualify for a check, but I am not holding my breath for it. Thankfully my son isn’t either yet.

joy stinson likes this.
  18. oldsurferdude

oldsurferdude Forum Resident

Music can wait but bills won't. Besides, I've got plenty of CD's to listen to.

19. I made an impulse purchase when I found a copy of David Bowie's "Scary Monsters" 1992 Ryko / EMI remaster for cheap. That and "Lodger" are the only David Bowie albums we don't have a physical copy of in any format. One to go.

Edited to add: Yeah, a whole $13. No plans to buy any music. But, I think, financially we all share the same story here.

joy stinson likes this.
  20. Going to try to spend it all locally. Take out food, records, whatever. No amazon.
    I made hay while the sun shone over the past few years and this $1200 can go in someone else's pocket. I fear for the local bar/club scene in Portland.

21. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

No non-essential purchases for a long time even if I have the money. My head and heart ain’t in it.

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Y'all still use checks? What is this, the 20th century?

joy stinson likes this.
  23. drift

drift Forum Resident

Rent, bills, food, and overdue doctor visits will take care of my check in not much time. I wish I could think about purchasing music, but that won't be happening for a while.

joy stinson, GyroT and oldsurferdude like this.
  24. drift

drift Forum Resident

"Partyslammer was last seen: Viewing forum [For Sale] CDs, 17 minutes ago"

:p

ARK, mcwlod, Trixmay 988 and 4 others like this.
  25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Auto repair will get more than half. MFSL Electric Warrior SACD will be the only music I buy with it.
    Save the rest to put towards a little road trip when things eventually open up.

joy stinson and WMTC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.