Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Solie was low key. never got excited and could drop the correct names of holds, but NEEDED a color man to pump it up. Bill Mercer in Dallas was great at being an "everyfan", Lord Athol Layton with his aussie accent gave Detroit wrestling some class(hard to do when The Shiek(Ed Farhat)was the centerpiece), and, this may surprise you but Vince McMahon was a great announcer. His "FORGET ABOUT IT!" was classic.

marmalade likes this.
  2. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident Thread Starter

I also really enjoyed Vince's commentary, especially when paired with Ventura.

The MEZ likes this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

4. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

5. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Exactly.

Below: Big Bob Orton (Sr), so bad the other bad guys refused to be his tag team partner, as he was inclined to beat up his partners as well as the opposing team. Shown here applying his self-designed move, The Piledriver.

And lest we forget the ladies division... The Fabulous Moolah!

6. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

I'm similar to what a few other people have posted. Big fan of WWF in the late 80's when I was a kid, lost interest for a while, then got back into it in the mid-late 90's. (I was a WCW fan). After WCW folded, I lost interest again. I occasionally put on TNA once in while, but it's just not the same anymore for me.

I was a BIG fan of the Steiner brothers. They both wrestled at the University of Michigan. I remember seeing a house show at the Palace of Auburn Hills near Detroit. Though Scott Steiner was supposedly the heel, he got the loudest applause of the night. I also saw a WCW ppv in 1998 called 'World War 3', also at the Palace of Auburn Hills.

7. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Scott and Rob Rechsteiner. I watched Scotty from his start working for Dick The Bruiser. I lost a match to the guy he beat for his first title(Great Wojo). I wish Vince would get off his *** and issue more WCW pay per views.

9. Robert Campion

Robert Campion New Member

????

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

A Few pix of my heroes as a kid

Attached Files:

11. Robert Campion

Robert Campion New Member

Chumlee could play that last guy in a movie.

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The pix are Bobo Brazil, Dick the Bruiser, The Sheik, Tex McKenzie, and Haystacks Calhoun.

13. CD Heaven West

CD Heaven West Active Member

HUGE wrestling fan here since the early 70's. I grew up watching WWWF and always bought the magazines to read about the other federations. That's how I followed all the AWA, NWA guys and more. I get the WWE 24/7 on demand channel which is really good, especially if you like roundtable discussions on various topics related to wrestling and it's history. The old shows they show are also worth the price. I also can't wait for next years Wreslemania as it's in my own backyard here in South Florida and I'm already planning on spending quite a bit of time during Mania week next year checking out the events. For what it's worth: I give TNA credit for offering another choice when it comes to wrestling but the bottom line is that what TNA has and does is pretty crappy and does nothing to make me want to watch it. They do have some talent but they just don't make you care about them. That's a BIG difference between what they do and WWE does. TNA will NEVER create major stars like the WWE can and does. Like him or not, Vince McMahon is a genius.
    Bruce

14. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

When I was watching wrestling in the late 80's, I remember a promotion that came on TBS every Saturday night around 6. I think it was AWA, but could be wrong. Anyway, I remember Rick and Scott going all the way back to then. (Scott hadn't gained his 'Pig Papa Pump' physique yet. :laugh:) Also, I really enjoyed the Steiner Brothers vs. Outsiders matches in WCW.

I think my favorite memory of Scott was a Monday Nitro that was televised from Columbus, Ohio. (If you didn't see it, I bet you can imagine where this is heading! :laugh:) First they had a Buckeye mascot that Scott (wearing a Michigan jersey) preceded to punch on his way to the ring. Then he goes on one of the biggest anti-Buckeye rants I've ever heard!

Linky:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdCB-DxOHI

15. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

That was World Championship Wrestling, the heir to Georgia Championship that was bought out by Vinny Mac. It was still an NWA affiliate then. But the initials stayed til the end WCW.
    I remember Rick wrestling in the Mid South territory with Eddie Gilbert and the Bladerunners Rock and Sting(yes THAT Sting, and Rock was later Ultimate Looney er Warrior)
    Scotty came out of college and stated his pro career with Bruiser Bedlam. That would have been about 86. He was green as grass and won the title in his first match.

16. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

^^^ Were you aware of, or face, the twin albino Mulkey brothers, 2 Florida/Georgia wrestlers from back in the late 70's to mid 80's? Or a favorite from my area (since he was from Lakeland, Fl) Bubba Douglas?

One thing about the Mulkey's, they lost 99% of the time, but really knew how to sell a match.

17. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

I grew up down the street from WWF (now WWE) headquarters in Stamford, CT. I still like pro wrestling from time to time, silly as it is. I really like the history of it actually. It's amazing what entries there are in Wikipedia on wrestlers. Shows you how dedicated some fans are.

From time to time wrestlers also come into my gym near the Philly airport. I hung out and did snatches and power cleans with Mark Henry (two-time Olympian and current pro wrestler) a couple years ago and chatted up Tony Atlas, who looked unbelievable at age 60.

18. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Better than "Mean" Gene Okerlund? Great voice he had.

19. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

I grew up with Gordon Solie, so he's my favorite, but Mean Gene is a terrific talent, a very close #2. Gene was the perfect fit for WWF when it went national. Also for WWF, when Gorilla Monsoon got out of the ring, he was a great color commentator during those years. Bobby Heenan was also great as a color man.

marmalade likes this.
  20. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The old stuff was the best! Mid-South and WCW. Before the steriod freaks took over. Hacksaw Duggan, Ted Dibase, Bill Watts, Junkdog Dog, Kamala, Terry Taylor, the list goes on and on. Wrestlers in gorilla suits, chairs, power in the face. NOW....that was funny!

21. Sammy Banderas

Sammy Banderas Forum Resident

Huge wrestling "mark" here! Started watching WWF/WWE back around Wrestlemania 3 in 1987 and have never looked back. Still watch WWE and TNA.

I'm kind of surprised and amused by all the love for Scott Steiner, who's still tearing it up in TNA. He cracks me up with his jive and blatant "Superstar" Billy Graham rip-off lines. But he's still super entertaining on the mic!

I'd be interested in hearing what you guys who are still watching pro wrestling think about the current product in WWE and TNA. All I'll say is that nothing beats the good ol' days.:(

22. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident Thread Starter

Today's product doesn't compete with some of the past eras, that's for sure, but I still watch and enjoy wrestling.

There are some guys today who have "it", like CM Punk, Del Rio, AJ Styles and quite a few others who I enjoy watching quite a bit. It always seems like wrestling storylines always work the best when things aren't forced, and allowed time to develop slowly and naturally - that goes for both TNA and WWE. That's something that I miss about the WCW/WWE Attitude era.

23. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie

Monsoon and Heenan were definitely great, as was Ventura. I will have to look up Gordon Solie on Youtube -- I don't know him actually. :cheers:

24. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Agree on Monsoon and Heenan. They were so good in early 1992. My favorite exchange between the two was during the Royal Rumble that Flair won. After Flair drew #3, Heenan about had a heart attack. And then he says: "I'm going to have to apologize to the people, I don't think I can be objective!" And Monsoon replies: "When have you ever been objective!".

If you do look up Gordon Solie, you actually may not be impressed like the rest of us. He was just a competent and consistent announcer with a great voice. I think he was a fan of wrestling and not a fan of sports entertainment. In fact, he was working in WCW in 1993 and decided to retire right after Hogan was signed. He probably did not want to be a part of the transformation that was about to take place there.

25. 905

905 Senior Member

I loved the team of McMahon/Ventura. Even though it was mainly squashes, I hated to miss an episode of Superstars because of them. And who can forget those Saturday Night's Main Events...