Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

If you wonder where AJ stands its instructive to know that AJ has put the interview up on her YouTube channel The AJ Universe. nearly a quarter million views since it was posted yesterday.

2. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Shame that things didn't work out... but I seem to recall that even before all of this, Punk stated that he wasn't much longer for the sports entertainment world anyway.
    And I'm thinking that my hunch that Triple H books to spite Punk might be true... dirt sheets reporting that Ryback is Triple H's current 'project'.

3. Then I would guess it's probably true that her contract is up. Too bad. Fairly interesting character that had a good run with a couple of different story lines. The current one with Paige was getting interesting.

I wonder if she goes to TNA or the new organization Double J is putting together?

4. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Bryan Alverez is reporting on the back stage fall out
    http://wrestlingnews.co/vince-mcmahon-not-happy-triple-h-said-to-be-furious-about-cm-punks-comments/
    Triple H is “furious” and wants to “kill Punk” according to a text that Alvarez received from someone in the company. Alvarez noted that Hunter and Stephanie McMahon have such a hatred of CM Punk. Colt Cabana s said to be on WWE’s “sh*tlist” and the company is extremely unhappy with Colt Cabana as of today. Most of the wrestlers are not tweeting about this so there may be a company directive given to them about this.

comments by Jericho and Ryback:
    http://wrestlingnews.co/news/wwe/

5. More sites are confirming that many within the Wrestling World are supporting the sentiments expressed by CM Punk.

http://rajah.com/node/44479

Quote:
    While it should come as a surprise to absolutely nobody who actually heard the interview, the Colt Cabana "Art of Wrestling" podcast with CM Punk earlier this week has been the talk of the locker room in WWE since it first appeared on the internet.

The general consensus is that virtually everyone within WWE -- most notably the talent themselves -- thought it was one of the greatest things ever.

It's widely known within WWE that in certain circles, CM Punk is well-liked, while in others, which is a big much bigger circle, by the way, everyone -- fans and detractors of Punk -- all thoroughly enjoyed the interview.

The key reason that everyone was in favor of Punk's appearance on the show was because whether you like him or not, he pointed out -- in what is said by many to be in very honest fashion -- many issues that the current pool of talent within WWE deal with, and have dealt with, for quite a while. Many are said to be afraid to speak up about many of the issues that Punk touched on, but universally applauded him for having the gull to do so without any fear of repercussions.

The reason of Vince McMahon himself was said to be not as bad as you would think. While McMahon is notorious for "no-selling" issues that do in fact bother him, the general consensus was that while he wasn't pleased with Punk for many of the comments he made, to say the least, he wasn't as over-the-top angry or upset as two other key WWE high-ranking executives.

Those executives are none other than Triple H and Stephanie McMahon.

Triple H was said to be outraged and furious, and according to one person close to the situation, outright said he "wants to kill CM Punk."

While this is likely a moot point, as Punk himself made it clear during the podcast that he has no desire to return to the world of professional wrestling, much-less WWE, that he is on one of those unofficial "banned for life" lists.

Some people believe that while Vince McMahon is still alive and in complete control of the company, anything is possible in terms of being willing to bring Punk back one day, however, those same people are under the belief that when and if it becomes up to Triple H and Stephanie McMahon, Punk has no chance whatsoever at stepping foot back onto a WWE television, or non-televised program, for that matter.

Also on the "**** list" in WWE as a result of the podcast is Colt Cabana. Those who were wondering whether or not he would ever get a shot at working for WWE as an announcer, a job he has tried out for several times in the past, can pretty much assune that it's never going to happen after this week's show with Punk.

It was also mentioned, as we noted on the website earlier, that Ryback was less-than-pleased with Punk's comments as well, to say the least.

In terms of whether or not the Punk interview will be brought up this coming Monday night when WWE Chairman Vince McMahon appears on Steve Austin's "Steve Austin Show" podcast, which is generally a "shoot-style" interview show itself, the feeling is that at best, Vince will give a generic, corporate, "politically correct" type of answer to any questions regarding that particular subject.

McMahon's appearance on Austin's podcast will air live on the WWE Network immediately following RAW on Monday night.

It's also worth mentioning that the Punk craziness isn't completely finished yet, as a "part two" version of Punk on Cabana's "Art of Wrestling" podcast is still scheduled for the near future, and this time will feature Punk fielding questions from his fans.

For those who missed the original, two-hour long, controversial appearance of CM Punk on Colt Cabana's "Art of Wrestling" podcast, click here.

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Or watch it at the top of this very page.

7. Oooops! - just part of the cut and paste quote - should have edited it out.

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

9. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Well, CM Punk is now in the UFC. I wish him the best.

RobMac likes this.
  10. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Well signed to the UFC...with his previous injuries we will have to see if he ever makes it to the octagon.

11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Gigolo Jimmy Del Ray RIP
    http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/Other_News_4/article_82148.shtml#.VIYTqyx0z6Y
    WWE issued a statement on the death of Jimmy Del Ray (David Ferrier) on Monday:

"WWE is saddened is learn that David Ferrier, better known to WWE fans as Jimmy Del Ray, passed away Saturday night at the age of 52... WWE extends its condolences to Ferrier’s colleagues, friends, and family."

WWE also cited a report by the Tampa Tribune that Ferrier died in a single-vehicle accident Saturday night in Florida. According to the Florida Highway Patrol, Ferrier lost control of his truck driving on U.S. 301 around 6:00 p.m. and ran into a lamppost on the shoulder.

The FHP report continues that Ferrier's vehicle fell into a ditch and ended up against a fence. Ferrier was transported to Tampa General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

On Sunday, Prowrestling.net reported that it was believed Ferrier died of a heart attack. The Tampa Tribune report did not say whether a heart attack contributed to Ferrier driving off the road or if there were other circumstances that contributed to the accident.

Ferrier, 52 at the time of his death, was part of the Heavenly Bodies tag team with Tom Prichard in mid-1990s WWF and Smoky Mountain Wrestling.

12. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Man, I'm pretty much given up on watching WWE's main product due to it being uninteresting and not really evolving. I remember Triple H and Stephanie McMahon opening up episodes of RAW is WAR in 2000 and 14 years later they're still at it.

However, I have been checking out NXT, which is a WWE product, and even if it is overseen by Triple H it is still hands down the best wrestling show right now.

[​IMG]

Finn Balor debuted his body paint look during his awesome entrance during last night's NXT ppv. It was awesome as was the rest of the show. It's amazing how different a focused product can be from their 3 hour episode of RAWs.

13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

How is that junk gonna hold up in a tough match? That gimmick cannot survive based on the time intensiveness of having that applied and removed.
    NXT is WWEs version of a regional promotion. Where is Dory anyway? This is FCW in WWE drag.

14. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Well, he ended up wrestling in the body paint last night. From what I know it's sprayed on. I wonder how hard it is to actually get off each night once he's done wrestling. I always remember the legendary Roddy Piper incident where he painted his body half black at Wrestlemania 6 and it didn't come off for a week or something haha.

MikeInFla likes this.
  15. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

Looks like Finn Balor will only be using body paint for special events. Apparently it takes 4 hours to apply. He worked a NXT taping after the ppv and wasn't wearing any.

16. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I'm sold on this Sunday's New Japan Pro-Wrestling/GFW Wrestle-Kingdom 9 pay per view (but not sold enough to watch it at 2am)... been too long since I've heard some authentic "BY GAWD! BY GAWD!" from ole JR

17. sidewinder572

sidewinder572 Senior Member

I took the dive and subscribed to New Japan World. 999 yen a month which is about $8.50

evh5150 likes this.
  18. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

The site of Wrestlemania 32 next year was announced today. AT&T Stadium in Dallas. They're going to attempt to draw 100 thousand to the event. If I am not mistaken if they pull it off legitimately it will break the attendance record of Wrestlemania 3 (which is disputed) and could possibly be the largest attended pro wrestling event in US history.

19. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

Rest In Peace :(

From PWInsider.com:

http://pwinsider.com/article.php?id=94335&p=1

HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE NEWS, DUSTY RHODES PASSES AWAY
    by Dave Scherer @ 1:50 PM on 6/11/2015

WWE.com just reported the following.

"WWE is deeply saddened that Virgil Runnels, aka “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes — WWE Hall of Famer, three-time NWA Champion and one of the most captivating and charismatic figures in sports entertainment history — passed away today at the age of 69.

Runnels became a hero to fans around the world thanks to his work ethic, his impassioned interviews and his indomitable spirit. Moreover, Runnels was a dedicated father to WWE Superstars Goldust (Dustin Runnels) and Stardust (Cody Runnels), a caring husband and a creative visionary who helped shape the landscape of WWE long after his in-ring career had ended.

WWE extends its sincerest condolences to Runnels’ family, friends and colleagues."

Stu and I were in the middle of recording our show when the news came in. We are both devastated to hear of the passing of one of the all time greats. We here at PWInsider.com sent along our deepest sympathies to his friends and family. Stu and I will be talking about The Dream. RIP Dream.

20. evh5150

evh5150 Forum Resident

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  21. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

When I was a kid, Dusty Rhodes was the man! Any time Dusty showed up on TV, you knew it was wrestling worth watching. First saw him on Detroit's Big Time Wrestling, then on Georgia Championship Wrestling. He showed up on WWF occasionally. Dusty was the main good guy, and every bad guy hated him out of jealousy. Tully Blanchard, Ole Anderson, The Assassin, Ric Flair, Ernie Ladd, Ron Bass, Roddy Piper, Ivan Koloff, and many others had legendary battles with the American Dream!

22. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

23. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

LOL, I had no idea about Piper so I looked it up and apparently they even made an action figure of him painted half black!

[​IMG]

24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Wrestled Allen Coage(Bad News Brown/Allen) asking "who you gonna see? Roddy Piper or the Hot Scot? Piper talks about this on his WWE DVD set. He figured it would come off with a good hot shower
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    "First of all, you know, I was born in Saskatoon. There are no Black people that I know of that are dumb enough to go to a place that cold. [Laughs.] So, there's no racism in me at all.
    "At the time, I was walking down the hall of some arena. Maybe the Hoosier Dome -- some place. I'm not sure. Vince McMahon says, 'Hot Rod, I need to speak with you.' I walked into a room and you could have cut the air with a knife. It was Bad News Brown, Pat Patterson and Vince McMahon. I said, 'What's going on?' He says, 'I want you to wrestle Bad News Brown at [WrestleMania VI].
    "I'm looking at Bad News, who was a really good judo player and just a so-so professional wrestler. And here's what's going through my mind. I'm looking at him and I'm going, 'I'm going to have 45 interviews about this guy.' And I'm thinking Nelson Mandela at that time had said something that really stuck with me.
    "Nelson Mandela was put in jail for 20-some years for political crimes. Every morning, he was the first man when the guard came to extend his hand to the guard. What a hell of a man. At the same time, Cindy Lauper had 'True Colors' out. In my mind, what I was trying to do -- there is no difference. I needed material on Bad News Brown. I did something where I sang 'True Colors' and I did a thing about Nelson Mandela. But, they don't seem to remember that. [Laughs.] The thing I didn't do so well was when I came down, I pretended to be Michael Jackson. I don't quite dance like Michael does, I guess. [Laughs.]
    "So, [I got] just about the same reaction from you as I came out. Nothing. So, I had the match. I came back and the stuff they had painted me with, Vince had made special. So, when I broke a sweat, it wouldn't come off. There was a special clear solution to take this special black off. When I got there, the lady started rubbing my cheeks and in about five minutes, I started bleeding. Andre The Giant had taken that solution, poured it out and put water in it.
    "Now, I'm in Toronto, half-Black. I decided that's there nothing much to do other than to go out drinking. So, I go and I'm drinking and I'm half-Black in the bar. Next morning -- and don't judge me -- I wake up and the door of my hotel room is blown completely off and there's a cowboy hat in the middle of my room. I don't know who's. [Laughs.] I wake up and I'm half Black. I got to go from Toronto to Portland, Oregon. I got a four foot Mickey Mouse with me that I bought for my daughter.
    "So, because I didn't know -- I put the hat on, and I've got a four foot Mickey Mouse, a Halliburton and a hang over. And I'm half Black. ... I'm completely half black other than the scar under my eye. So, I'm going through Chicago and I'm going through customs. When you're half black and half white, they just go, 'Go right ahead.' They part like the Nile. In Chicago, I had to change planes and the flight attendant -- that I later called waitress, which really gets over -- wanted me to check Mickey because it was too big. So, I bought Mickey a first class seat and me and Mickey drank all the way to Portland, Oregon.
    "The way I got it off was that I had to sit in the sauna. Took me about a month of rubbing this stuff off. But, what am I going to do? Go beat up Andre? [Laughs.] But the reason I painted myself half Black was more the meshing. I did the Nelson Mandela, I did the 'True Colors'. Bad News Brown didn't take it that way. So, I'm glad you asked me."

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

RIP Buddy Landell

From PWTorch
    "Nature Boy" Buddy Landel (William Ansor) reportedly died at the age of 53 on Monday.

According to the Wrestling Observer, Landel was in a car accident this past weekend, returned home from the hospital on Sunday, and did not wake up on Monday when his wife checked on him.

Landel was a major star in the 1980s and had all of the tools to be at the level of Ric Flair. However, he led a reckless lifestyle as a 20-something with "a hundred grand in the bank," prompting him to lose his position as future NWA Hvt. champion.

"They had put the whole weight of the world on my shoulders,” he told Mike Mooneyham of the Post & Courier newspaper in a 2011 interview. “I was breaking Elvis’s attendance record, selling out with the world champion every night, doing 60-minute Broadways. It was very tough and the pressure was unbelievable. I just stayed self-medicated."

After his fall from grace, Landel went through a redemption period trying to clean up his life and make amends with people he wronged when he was on top of wrestling at 23-years-old, including his family.

“I always wanted to be great in everything I did. Whether it was to be great in sports or whether it was to be a great drug taker," he said in 2011. "I became so jaded at the world. I was taught by all these veterans that everything was a work and that everything was an angle - that everyone was marks but us. You get indoctrinated into that and you get cynical. You find yourself talking carney to your wife in a car lot. You become jaded. After a period of time, when wrestling’s gone and the paychecks are gone, you become very bitter."

Landel credited his wife for keeping him alive and on the right path after his full-time wrestling career ended with one final run in 1990s WWF.

• [​IMG]

Moonbeam Skies likes this.