Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Surprised he flipped on Becky Lynch... he was brutal toward her when they were both in NXT.

RayS likes this.
  2. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Just the thought of the words Chump Hogan and Chico Santana get me laughing.

3. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident Thread Starter

Borash was always great on TNA, and I'm optimistic that he'll make some positive changes at WWE. The guy just seems to get it, and the talent always seems to like him.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

It was reported earlier today that WWE has hired longtime TNA & Impact Wrestling employee Jeremy Borash. Pwinsider reports that the hire was a Triple H decision and that Borash will be working with NXT. There’s no word when Borash officially starts with WWE, but it could be as soon as the NXT tapings in Atlanta, GA this week. There is also no word on if he will have an on-screen role. He could end up working with Matt Hardy, but those are not the plans at this time.

The site adds that this will change Impact Wrestling’s plans, as Josh Matthews was to be transitioned out of his announcing role for another on-screen position. The plan for announcing had been to put Borash and Don Callis together as the announcing team, but that won’t be happening now. Impact may edit out on-screen appearances on the new episodes of Impact that were taped in early January

5. ribonucleic

ribonucleic Forum Resident

At some point a few years ago, I stopped keeping up with the storylines. Now I don't really know any of the "superstars" and would have to start from scratch in orienting myself. I would also be troubled, in a way that I wasn't back then, by a sense of moral complicity in the destruction of these men's bodies for my entertainment.

And it was never really the same for me after good ole J.R. left. Probably half the fun was in his peerless match calling. I especially loved it when he threw in an anatomical term. "The Game delivers a chair shot to the pancreas!"

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. MikeInFla

And another leaves Impact Wrestling:

– Rockstar Spud made his WWE debut as the 205 Live General Manager and announced a tournament for the Cruiserweight Championship. Spud was introduced as Drake Maverick, the new General Manager for the brand, in the opening segment of the show.

7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

his last day in tna was Halloween of 2017.

8. MikeInFla

Ah -- Haven't watched Impact in ages, I don't have PopTV.

I did download the Pluto TV app for my Fire stick and there is an Impact channel on there. Mostly old TNA PPV's but they do show some of the more recent TV tapings.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. 905

905 Senior Member

Lots of old WWF home videos were added to the Network today, from 1985-93. I didn't have cable, so my WWF was limited to Superstars and often Challenge when it aired. So I looked forward to going to the video store or National supermarket and renting videos, it'll be fun watching Super Tape again.

Stormrider77 and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. MikeInFla

Wow, I guess the old Colliseum Videos? That's cool. I used to rent them. I think a lot of them were old MSG shows. Good stuff!

[​IMG]

A lot of them hosted by this guy:

[​IMG]

Sean Mooney "who?". I listen to his podcast from time to time some decent interviews.

hahah Heenan was the greatest!

Thwacko, 905 and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

12. MikeInFla

Just listened to "Something To Wrestle W Bruce Prichard" where they discussed The Main Event. Interesting episode. Bruce said before the match it was well known that Hogan was dropping the title. They told advertisers and even made up Mania 4 posters before hand that mentioned the tournament and how Hogan was going to try and win back the title.

As a huge fan at the time I had NO IDEA any of this was planned and couldn't believe Hogan dropped it.... BUT -- This is the first appearance of the "winged eagle" championship belt. I caught on pretty fast. In the back when they interview Hogan he was wearing this belt:

[​IMG]

After the interview he walked out wearing this:

[​IMG]

I thought "What just happened here? That's a different belt. He is going to lose". And lose he did but I was still pretty shocked by it.

Something else that was interesting is Bruce said Earl Hebner worked for Crockett just a few weeks before and wanted to work for the WWF. So they brought him in and came up with the twins storyline. Bruce said Vince asked him before the match if he wanted to know how it was going to end and he said no. So he got to watch it as a fan having no idea about the twin storyline.

Here is the match:

Something else that I had forgotten about was when Andre won he called it the World Tag Championship LOL. They mention that on the podcast. If you FF to around 10:10 into the video you can hear Andre refer to it twice as the Tag Championship.

13. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I haven't watched that match in quite a few years (saw it live back in the day), but man-- it's painful to watch Andre in there, knowing how broken down and hurt/immobile he already was at this point - you can see it in his movements, and it's heartbreaking.

Thwacko likes this.
  14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Hard to watch is Andre's last match (in Japan). A tag match where the other three carried HIM to a terrible match. Andre lurching around the ring when he was not on the apron. He could barely walk.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. MikeInFla

Yeah he has his knee heavily taped in that match. I believe he died a few weeks after this match.

His last appearance was in WCW. I missed this event would love to see it sometime. Bruno was there was well.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. MikeInFla

Found another one that is a bit longer.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I saw Andre's appearance for WCW at the time. He was on crutches and looked awful. I remember telling my wife that knowing Andre's disease that the end was near. Six weeks after that IWGP match Boss was dead. Paul Wight could have gone the same way if medical science hadn't advanced.
    My kids were upset that their Princess Bride giant was gone.

905, MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I only saw Andre in person once, and he was wearing a mask as one of the "Machines" at the time.

905, Sammy Banderas and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

How could you tell it was him? :)

20. Daniel Plainview

You're right! Could have been some other 7 foot tall 500 pound behemoth!

21. RayS

In the early days of cable, I remember watching a live card from MSG that had The Machines in the main event in a 6-man tag match. I can't remember for the life of me who their opponents were, but it was a rare outing for "The Hulk Machine", from Venice Beach, Ca.

22. MikeInFla

I saw Andre at a house show in Knoxville. He was huge. Prob late 80's or early 90's. Our seats were right next to Gorilla position. I took a picture of him and it is somewhere at my parents house. I forget, but I think his match was against The Macho Man. I also remember Rick Rude was there and I remembering him saying something like "What I want right now... Is for you Kuh-noxville knuckleheads to keep it down!". Was awesome! No Heenan at ringside tho.

Sammy Banderas and RayS like this.
  23. Daniel Plainview

I remember that match!

Gosh, I guess we'll never know who the Hulk Machine really was....

24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Lemmy see, there was in addition to Giant Machine there was Super Machine(Bill Eadie/Masked Superstar), Big Machine(Black Jack Mulligan), Piper Machine, Animal Machine(George Steele), even the Crusher Machine during a house show in Minnesota. The Machines were Lou Albano's last tag team in WWF as he left right after.

MikeInFla and RayS like this.
  25. RayS

I think after the match the Hulk Machine returned to "Japan ... and the Far East", as Gorilla used to say.

Daniel Plainview likes this.