Any real point in buying replacement styli for a couple Stantons? (Updated on pg. 3)*

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Mar 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

I also posted this question on VE:

I have a Stanton 680EE with its original Stanton stylus as well as a Stanton L737S with its original Stanton stylus. Both of these carts came on used turntables I'd bought some years back. Everything works but I have to assume the styli are well worn (I have no real way of checking but am not interested in buying a scope as I wouldn't know what I was seeing compared to brand new). I had an experience buying a replacement elliptical stylus for my old Technics P4 cart that came with my SL-QL1 but it was so-so at best (it was from turntableneedles.com and about $40 maybe 10 years ago). I finally replaced the cart with an AT450NE and it was a vast improvement. So my question boils down to: is there really any point in buying an aftermarket stylus for a vintage cartridge where OEM styli are no longer available (other than maybe coming across a too-expensive NOS stylus) or am I ahead selling these carts off with their original styli?

2. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

The cantilevers on Stanton and Pickering are second to none, have yet to be matched even today. I suggest retipping, usually anywhere from $150~275. There is an eBay seller people here use and also on Audiokarma, he’s one of the best in the country. At eBay, search for cartridge retipping, seller’s eBay name is ‘cartridge_retipping-5‘

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Tim Irvine, sturgus, McLover and 4 others like this.
  3. csgreene

No way I'm spending that sort of money for retipping a stylus even though the only cartridge I ran from the 70's through the mid 80's was a 681EEE. When a VM95ML costs $170, the cost to do a retip of an old Stanton stylus is beyond my understanding. My question was really more asking about the aftermarket replacement styli.

MYQ1, Ingenieur and quicksrt like this.
  4. csgreene

Bump to see if anyone else will chime in.

5. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

There is some chatter on other forums about $30-50 synthetic nude elliptical diamonds for the Stanton 680 cart and possibly some other models. I think in the U.S. Voice of Music carries them, probably other smaller sellers as well. I have not tried one so I can't comment too much on the quality. I wouldn't expect them to be as good as a perfect NOS Stereohedron or a high end retip job.

McLover likes this.
  6. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

You could just send those carts to me....

I don't think there's any point to buying any aftermarket replacement for any Technics brand cartridge. They are not worth the trouble (but could be to a starting beginner who doesn't want to change a cart).

The Stantons 68x (and 737) and Pickerings XV-15 have a sweet sound but NOS styli are now ridiculous in price. The L737S Stereohedron stylus would be fantastic, but the price of NOS Stereohedron is not just ridiculous but outrageous, but that's how it is.

For these, no aftermarket is as good as an original, but a decent aftermarket stylus can reactivate most of that sound.

For plain ellipticals there are these practical choices:

V-M has the new Nude Elliptical for XV-15 for $36 at the moment, everyone seems to like these but I don't have one (yet). Two listings here which I think are the same part in different packages, at the same price.
    Product Detail

The bonded EVG 4609-DE-W will fit also. This is an amazing price (at this point in time of rising prices) as it is OOP and "likely" manufactured by Jico.
    Product Detail

I do not have these above, yet. (I have some Pfanstiehls which are ok by me and some NOS Pickering ellipticals :) )

For a no-brand but probably Columbian $10 conical on the auction site PM me, it is listed wrong there but I bought six of 'em (one as a test then five more), well worth that price for thrift shop records, and he apparently still has a trayful, sounds fine but it is a conical, for 1.5-1.75g. A little dab of Blu-Tak or similar for a tiny extra weight lets this be used on a nonadjustable P-mount.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
    bluemooze likes this.
  7. coolhandjjl

Did you replace the stylus at all over that 10 year period? Most tips are rated for 500 hours give or take. Anything after that and you risk damaging your LPs.
    TMMV.

8. csgreene

Did I change they stylus on my old 681EEE? Of course. In those days, the Stanton styli were readily available. Still, the question is, is it worth replacing the styli on these old Stanton carts (which could have body related issues) vs. selling them off as is (with original Stanton styli) and simply focusing on maintaining my modern carts.

9. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

I have a 681 body with the Jico Shibata; I like it very much (I'd rate it as a close second to the AT 540ML), but have never had an original Stanton stylus to compare it to, so I can't really offer much in that regard. I will say that it took me some time to get the VTA dialed in, as these appear to be built at a significantly different angle than the originals, based on pictures and some reading.

10. gmcjj

gmcjj Forum Resident

I just bought a vivid line stylus for my Stanton 681eee and have about 25 hrs on it so far. I had a 4822-DEE Pfanstiehl on there that sounds pretty good but I wouldn't say the vivid line is leaps and bounds better. So far so good and I'm not getting any sibilance running the cart at 2.25 grams with the original Stanton brush. Here is the one I'm breaking in now.
    LP Gear ViVid Line replacement for Stanton D6800 EEEII-S stylus

csgreene likes this.
  11. csgreene

Interesting. What does the Jico Shibata run, $175+? If so, there's my dilemma. Currently, a VM95ML is $169 for cart and stylus and about $20 for the stylus alone. So if I spend $125-175 for a stylus for either my 680EE or L737S, do I end up with a cartridge as good as the VM95ML? If I buy the $50 NE stylus that's being sold, what level of cart do I end up with vs. sticking with AT's VM line?

12. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

I suppose that it depends whether you like them or not. If they’re a part of your listening pleasure that you want to keep, then by all means spend the money on having them re-tipped but if not, then there’s always someone looking for old cartridges on internet auctions.

macster likes this.
  13. Angry_Panda

Angry_Panda Pipe as shown, slippers not pictured

The crux of the biscuit (')! I ordered directly from Jico Japan, and with shipping these ran right at $200 the last two times. I'd be inclined to go with the 95ML in your position; it will sound just as good (though without the Stanton color) and probably track a little better. I mostly got the Shibata because the cart was free (and came with a decent conical I can use on the Dynagrooves in my collection), and figured it was worth a shot. It's a nice change of pace (particularly for chamber music), but not something I couldn't live without.

33na3rd and csgreene like this.
  14. Boltman92124

Boltman92124 Go Padres!!

Does this typically mean replacing the cantilever also?

15. csgreene

Part of the reason I asked about this is because I am currently running an AT450NE with adapter on my Denon DP-23F (which sounds fine) but the AT450 is a universal cart and I'm becoming convinced that mounting this style with an adapter on a table like my Denon may not be the best solution. I had thought, specifically, of using the Stanton 680EE with a new stylus but I think I might be ahead sticking with a VM95ML like I use on my 1210GR.

I really appreciate the additional responses, thank you all.

16. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The Jico Shibatas are bonded Shibatas, not nude. So that is something to keep in mind. I did run one for awhile but probably wouldn't get another one.

They are better than cheap $15 generic ebay bonded styli but won't give you the full performance of a nude stereohedron. Not possible. Towards the end of Stanton (before they got bought out and became a shell of what they were) they cheapened the 68X carts by putting cheaper bonded diamonds on the styli also, so you can imagine why NOS nude stereohedrons go for what they do. Then there is the risk of hardened suspensions, which can only really be checked with a test LP.

I think if you are the kind of person that is concerned with minimal hassle, just move on to in production carts. I'm a big fan of the Stanton 68X series and I had to sideline mine. I've been running the 95ML for over a year now and I'm on my second stylus. While the AT is very different from Stanton and each cart has it's own "flavor" this particular AT model does most things right.

If you have a second turntable and want to run the Stanton I think the Swiss nude carries relatively low risk for a small cost outlay. Just have realistic expectations if you go that route. I wouldn't bother with the cheap bonded aftermarket stuff for Stantons. There are people that like them but cheap bonded generic styli (e.g. 15 dollar ebay specials) have never impressed me on Shure, Stanton, AT, or anything else.

nosliw and csgreene like this.
  17. csgreene

Well, I don't buy what *I* consider to be junk and I suspect that a lot of the cheap aftermarket bonded styli are just that.

Now, just for grins and giggles, after inspecting the two OEM Stanton styli I have, the Stereohedron stylus that was mounted on the L737S, it looks pretty good through a 10x loupe. I understand that's not a proper inspection nor enough power but it, at the least, tells me if the stylus is crudded up which it wasn't. Anyway, I decided to plug it into my Technics SL-QL1 and popped on a couple albums which I'm familiar with. While it doesn't have the presence (for lack of a better word) of the AT450NE that I've been running for close to a couple years now (the AT450NE is nude elliptical and P/Universal mount), it sounds really good. But by and large, I think I am ahead sticking with modern carts (although the AT450 isn't modern but mine are NOS) and, ultimately, selling these old Stantons.

patient_ot likes this.
  18. coolhandjjl

I sent in the factory stylus from a Stanton 681EEE (the factory stylus is a D6800, a nude stylus). It was inspected, cantilever found to be okay, but the stylus’s contact/wearing surfaces we’re all worn down. The cantilever had a new nude diamond stylus inserted into it. I’m not sure of the process if the cantilever is found to be damaged or no longer in proper working condition. Best ask a retipper.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I had a couple of Stanton carts from this eras and line, and I found some genuine styli for them on ebay. Got them and set them up and found that the carts have a slight bit of sibilance that was not on them originally. So these carts can decay or oxidize inside and have the sound affected. I'd stay away from putting any cash into them and yes, a new AT is a better investment and less risk. Just my experience and opinion.

They were fine in their day, loved making cassettes from LPs with that wonderful bass and clarity. Oh well.

action pact and csgreene like this.
  20. csgreene

Pretty much the conclusion I've come to. Thanks for the input. There are lots of guys who like to fool around with vintage stuff and I suspect, once I take a few photos, I should list them for sale.

21. coolhandjjl

Who you calling old ? :magoo:

Nothing deteriorates on a Stanton/Pickering cart of the models we are talking about. I have enough right now, but look at eBay prices for them and sell them as ‘used’ if you plan on buying new carts. If you still have the wood case and metal stash box, all the better, price-wise.

22. csgreene

I don't have anything that goes with the carts as they both came on vintage tables I bought some years ago. Good to hear the bodies don't deteriorate. At this point, assuming I pick up yet another VM95ML (for the Denon DP-23F), I'll have to wait as they're out of stock pretty much everywhere. Meanwhile, I'll continue to use the AT450 on its adapter.

23. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I think you're making the right call.

The Audio Technica VM95ML price/performance ratio makes these Stantons a risky pursuit.

nosliw and csgreene like this.
  24. parman

parman Music Junkie

If you're talking about buying a $30 replacement stylus, no it isn't worth bothering,

25. Wimbo

Wimbo Active Member

Thats weird. Normally the stylus is around 70-75 % of the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.