Any recent MFSL, AP or AF, etc. hybrid SACD's that you do NOT recommend?*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

All the Analogue Productions SACDs of the Verve reissues are done at 48/20 bit resolution. They are a whole lot better than ordinary CDs, mostly because of the very nice mastering. But that doesn't hide the lower resolution.
    In general, anything done on SACD by George Marino at Sterling used that 48Khz./20 bit resolution.
    This includes the SACDs of
    "Elvis 24K hits" and "Elvis is back".
    Plus probably a whole bunch of others.

That said, they are very nice sounding. I've got a bunch now and I like them a lot.
    Doesn't hide or excuse the lower resolution. Put a Blue Note AP SACD on, then a Verve Marino reissue and you'll notice the difference. Not subtle.

PhantomStranger and BIG ED like this.
  2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Since Mr. Marino has been dead for so long, I really believe that many titles just use his name even though he had nothing to do with them.

3. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

AF:

Phil Collins' "No Jacket Required" and "Face Value" are really good, but the regular discs are also fine. Not worth the extra money, if you ask me. No remastering will put away the sterile 80s sound of "Jacket". ("But Seriously" and "Hello..." are different stories and well worth the money).

"Presto" and "Roll The Bones" by Rush are probably the best digital versions available, but the 2004 remasters come quite close, so I would recommend spending the extra money only for collectors. "Counterparts" maybe (depending on your taste) even inferior to the 1993 original.

I don't like the tape drag and some drop-outs on the AF "52nd Street".

BIG ED likes this.
  4. GroovinGarrett

GroovinGarrett Mrs. Stately's Garden

It's easy to beat up on George Marino, considering he isn't here (or anywhere) to defend himself.

rxcory and SteelyTom like this.
  5. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

If they're very nice sounding, why doesn't that excuse the lower resolution?

mikeyt likes this.
  6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Exactly. Night Beat, the BH albums he did, and Elvis and others, they have that analogue/tubey goodness. I don't like all of his work, but those I very much do.

mikeyt and GroovinGarrett like this.
  7. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    tmtomh, BIG ED, Joseph and 1 other person like this.
  8. rxcory

9. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

It's in stereo. I don't think this album has a mono mix on CD, does it?

rxcory likes this.
  10. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I prefer the original Verve CDs to the AP SACDs. Most of the George Marino mastered SACDs sound too bright to me.

BIG ED likes this.
  11. dartira

dartira rise and shine like a far out superstar

I disagree on No Jacket Required. Yes, it's a very synthetic sounding record but the mastering on the AF is great. A good example of what can be done with mastering in the digital domain. Perfect tonal balance on every track, to my ears.

BIG ED and audiomixer like this.
  12. rxcory

Very nice, I'll get it for sure then. They did use the mono mixes for these tracks on the 2005 box set The Complete Verve Studio Master Takes.

Lucidae likes this.
  13. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Oh? Interesting, I'll look into that.
    By the way here's a sample from the CD if you're interested:
    http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/42824529/file.html

rxcory likes this.
  14. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, I had no idea that he passed away.

clhboa likes this.
  15. rxcory

I think it's kind of underwhelming, at least the way it sounds on that box set. Thanks for the sample; from what I heard I agree that the Verve AAD CD sounds better than the Marino SACD.

16. therockman

As I have written here at this forum in the past, I had some very bad experiences with the folks at Sterling Sound. Back in 2011 or so I was doing some research about the SACD of Cat Stevens. I talked to several folks at Sterling Sound and they were all very rude. I finally got the information that George really hadn't been to work in over a year, which means he probably hasn't mastered anything since sometime in 2010. It was hard for me to get that information because I really did talk to a lot of really rude people at Sterling Sound, and his private secretary was by far the rudest, but I finally did get a couple of folks to tell me that Mr. Marino had been on sick leave for about a year. Anything that was mastered after about the middle of 2010 that has George's name on it was probably just done by a house engineer at Sterling Sound. That being the case, we should not use Mr. Marino's name when we disparage a disc that was issued using Sterling Sound's name in the last 4 or 5 years. Why they continue to use his name on new product is beyond me, but because I don't think that it lives up to the quality of Mr. Marino then I feel that Sterling Sound should just tell us who has been the mastering engineer on all of these titles. Of course I have suggested this, but the folks at Sterling Sound are very, VERY, rude.

17. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

While the recent MOFI of Garcia/Grisman sounds very nice indeed, I am not finding it to be appreciably superior to the quite wonderful Acoustic Disc redbook release. Definitely a case of trying to gild a lily. IMO.

therockman likes this.
  18. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

Neither did I.

19. '67 Chevy

'67 Chevy Forum Resident

How can we determine when a title was mastered, as opposed to the production date of the SACD?

For example, AP's "Ella and Louis" doesn't actually say it was mastered by George Marino, the booklet just quotes him, saying "This is why I got into this business." — George Marino, senior Mastering Engineer, Sterling Sound

On a different page, it says ℗ 2011.

That could be the mastering date, or the scheduled release date, or the date the booklet was printed, or...

One thing I love about the music industry, they're sticklers for historical accuracy, documentation and details :righton:

George P and rxcory like this.
  20. therockman

You are absolutely correct. A lot of discs just use that quote, and we have no real idea when and/or who mastered it.

21. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Any disclosure issues, though, are issues for Analogue Productions, not their subcontractor Sterling Sound, particularly now that George Marino has passed on.

The Verve SACDs are APO commodities, and Chad's ultimately responsible for them.

therockman likes this.
  22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

same for the Mofi gang! :rolleyes:

therockman likes this.
  23. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

Why do you say that? I've read several polite email responses on these forums answering member's questions.

lukpac and GroovinGarrett like this.
  24. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

That was not my experience with them.

25. trumpetplayer

trumpetplayer Senior Member

Despite being Mofis number 1 customer. Claus criticizes them every chance he gets.

eelkiller, lukpac and GroovinGarrett like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.