Any recommendations for quality listening chairs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LeeS, Dec 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkev2

jkev2 Forum Resident

Theres a big New Years promo at the Dump. Maybe you can find a nice sofa or chair there. Look for hand tied springs and a hardwood frame for durability.

LeeS likes this.
  2. dhoffa85

dhoffa85 Well-Known Member

Get one of those back stretching thingies where you hang upside down like a bat

3. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

I just want the ears of a bat, not the whole lifestyle. ;)

4. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

5. Arnold_Layne

Arnold_Layne Forum Resident

6. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

7. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan Thread Starter

8. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I recently purchased a Drexel Heritage Darien. I wanted real NC, USA fine furniture. I chose a spring down seat core and a nice fabric which suits the room. I paid too much, but I did learn a lot throughout the process and I ended up with a chair that I am pleased to own.

9. jkev2

jkev2 Forum Resident

The Dump being a big off price furniture store, for those not from the Atlanta area.

10. May be expensive and cliche but I still want one of these

image.jpg

Long Live Analog, wgb113 and tyinkc like this.
  11. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Cliche? Nah it's a classic! I'm with you. You can put me down as wanting one for my listening room for sure!

Mazzy likes this.
  12. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

13. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

A listening chair shouldn't have a headrest.

timind and john greenwood like this.
  14. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Agreed.

Although one of my two does. :hide:

15. Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android Forum Resident

I am 6'5 - my ears are above the top and i might listen to headphones in my chair too :)

16. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

That's a steal!

Paranoid Android likes this.
  17. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

The Eames lounge is deceiving-the top of that "headrest" is actually at or below the shoulders of most average height people.

Paranoid Android likes this.
  18. It works for me. I'm a rebel.

19. jazz8588

jazz8588 Forum Resident

On a poang at the moment with some nice Hank Mobley. Should really be listening a bit more closely to the music rather than typing this :)

LeeS likes this.
  20. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Ikea Poang is going to be hard to beat at sub three hundred price point Lee, I think you are in the sweet spot, in more ways than one.

LeeS likes this.
  21. You don't have a butler?

22. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

I loved my Poang for a long time.

I now use a Knoll MR Lounge (not under $300, but if anyone else is reading this thread or if you are looking again in the future) and I love it:

[​IMG]

I also like the Eames Aluminum Group Lounge. the Eames Lounge hits me weirdly across the shoulders.

Long Live Analog and LeeS like this.
  23. timind

timind phorum rezident

[​IMG]

This is an old picture.
    I bought these chairs at a garage sale for my daughter to take to her apartment at school. She said no way and my wife said take them back so I put them in my listening spot and they've been there for six years now. They replaced a tall leather recliner because the sound is soooo much better. Not much to look at but surprisingly comfortable.
    My wife bought me a Poang which I tried for a while, but I prefer these odd looking chairs for comfort. No sonic affect at all. I highly recommend a low back chair after my experience.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    mreeter likes this.
  24. Diver110

Diver110 Forum Resident

Relax the Back

25. countingbackward

countingbackward Forum Resident

Listening in a Stressless Sunrise chair for the first time today - it's too early to say anything about long-term comfort, but there is a notable improvement in sound quality over my previous big-ol'-lazy-boy, which obviously was obscuring detail with the large headrest directly behind me. The Stressless still has a headrest for comfort, but it mostly sits below my ear level, and the chair positions my ears at the perfect height to line up with my tweeters. It ain't cheap - but good stuff frequently isn't.

I was cross-shopping against the Poang (very different price-point!), which I like and will likely purchase to be the "companion" listening chair for the occasion when a friend, my wife or one of my kids listens with me - it's comfortable in terms of angle and position, but it's a bit hard for long-term sitting relative to the Stressless chairs and of course lacks in flexibility of positioning compared to a recliner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.