Any record stores by the University of Minnesota?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Aquateen, Sep 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquateen

Aquateen Forum Resident Thread Starter

One of my pals just started going to Twin Cities a few weeks ago and he has reported trouble finding a record store. Does anyone know of any by the campus? So far he's found a Cd Warehouse. :shake:

2. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

I forget the name of the store, but there's one small shop in Dinkytown, near the East campus, that carries both CDs and a small slection of vinyl. Otherwise, it's a bust. Jerry Raskin's Needledoctor is also in Dinkytown. No records, poor service, but lots of turntables, cartridges, and vinyl accessories.

3. clayton

clayton Senior Member

If you friend wants to go off campus there's the Electric Fetus at the intersection of Franklin and 4th about 2 miles from the campus

4. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

There is a CD Warehouse on 4th and about 15th near the U. It is in the location where Cheapo used to be. It's quite large, but selection is average. There is also Know Name Records a block from the CD Warehouse that is in the location the where Last Stop used to be. They probably sell more paraphenalia though. Take the bus downtown and go to Let it Be or else drive down University to Snelling and turn right to Cheapo or left and go to root cellar. Can't go wrong either way.

5. Brian Cruz

Brian Cruz Forum Resident

Haven't been to Minneapolis in awhile but I remember Let It Be was pretty cool.

6. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Dinkytown (the neighborhood around campus) is really hurting for record stores. Cheapo used to be a decent place to kill a couple of hours; I haven't been in it since CD Warehouse took over.

Know Name was far better when it was Positively 4th Street. Now it's more of a head shop than anything (though I did buy a DCC gold Ram there for $9 many moons ago).

There are lots of great places to buy records in Minneapolis (see older threads); it's just that none of them happen to be near the U of M.

7. MattK

MattK Forum Resident

Try Roadrunner on S. Nicollet and 46th...good store with a lot of variety. Let It Be is in Downtown Mpls also on Nicollet...same story as Roadrunner, but also a ton of good vinyl. I wouldn't bother with CD Warehouse...unless you're into what everyone else is listening to. Positively 4th Street no longer exists and niether does Know Name, I think. Electric Fetus is good, but a little more spendy...a lot of quantity, but not a lot of abscure stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.