Any Serious Godfather fans out there?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MBERGHAU, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I watched all three films a couple months ago whilst on vacation. I really wanted to see I and II but wasn't planning on watching III as I was terribly disappointed when I saw it on Christmas Day 1990. Overall wasn't as bad as I remember but I can wait at least 20 more years before seeing again though. (Not the first two though)

One of my favorite lines is when Mama Corleone tells Michael (in Sicilian):

"But you can never lose your family"

2. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

"I" was shown on March 1st, "II" will be shown on April 19th.

3. subatomic09

subatomic09 Forum Resident

I missed it, but I found a theater nearby that's showing it again on March 22.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we watch the trio every holiday season...tradition here at home.:)

5. Michael

6. Michael

one day hopefully we will see this on DVD!

7. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Awesome article, thanks for posting this. One of the things I love about the Godfather films that is pointed out in this article, is the impeccable attention to craft and detail that was brought to so many of the supporting roles. Lee Strasberg's Oscar nominated portrayal of Hyman Roth in particular is one of the truly underrated lynchpins of the film.

In fact, the scenes with Hyman Roth and Michael are some of my favorite in the whole series. There's something about the bland South Florida domesticity, the nonchalant way Roth's wife offers him a sandwich, in the middle of a pretty brutal part of the film that gets me every time. I've often wondered how much this scene influenced David Lynch, especially in films like "Blue Velvet".

Spirit Crusher likes this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

michael trying to buy forgiveness in rome from the cardinal is a classic scenr in every sense of the word and for so many reasons.

it was coppolla's slam on catholicism and their practice of selling indulgences,

and of course, the cardinal takes his money and forgives him of all his sins.

9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Yeah because no one has slammed Catholicism before. That's what we need GF3 for.

10. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

I love all the God Father Movies I watched the first one recently and am looking forward to movie night soon and watch the other ones . I don't own them but can get them on netflix I think. I just love these movies!! Although I have seen them in the past I think I fell asleep ha so I really am in the mood to see them again great movies! Why is it cool to like these guys who go around killing people I have no idea but I do!!:wave:

11. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

One thing I noticed while watching Godfather II last time was that the Corleone Family had a pretty nice sized LP collection. :D

You can see it in the scene when Michael returns to their home after learning of Kay's miscarriage (the first scene on the second DVD).

Vinny123 likes this.
  12. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Still watching the DVDs? You'd see it much better with this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ref_=sr_1_7&s=movies-tv&qid=1331930014&sr=1-7

13. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I have the Blu-ray set. I also have the VHS Godfather Saga, which is the first two movies edited to show in chronological order, which is the best presentation, I feel. I started watching the Saga one evening after 10pm, and stayed up until it was finished.

I have recently listened to the Mario Puzo audiobook of The Godfather on You Tube.

I learned a lot of extra details about the characters.

The sexual descritpions are salaciously NC-17 Rated. I can never watch the Wedding Scene, the opening scene of The Godfather, without thinking of the extra information included in the novel.

14. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

They are hard movies to watch. Very Cold characters..

15. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

No, it's probably the worst movie I've ever seen. Goodfellas was better.

16. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

I like the chronological "Godfather Complete Epic 1902-1958" VHS set. There is also the copy cut in chronological order with all three films that came out in 1992, "The Godfather Trilogy 1901-1980". I don't know where the extra story from 1901 came from. :) I have that on LD.

Coppola cut a 7 hour version in 1977 for TV " The Godfather, A Novel For Television" that includes scenes that were not even included on the "Saga" VHS set from 1981. I think A&E or AMC used to run that one around Christmas back in the 90's. That is where I got the version I used to created my own DVD copy.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  17. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I have a boxed DVD set of the trilogy. It includes a disc of 'extras'. In it are all the extra scenes used in the tv special.

18. rjp

rjp Senior Member

brando's desk is on display at coppolla's winery in napa valley. as are the oscars and other memorabilia from the film, and form his other films as well. the original 'tucker' is also there, rotating on a carousel in the store located in the winery.

19. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

essential viewing here. the first one gets once per week play here. II when there's time after!!

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Is it me, or does the image quality during the movie swing wildly in the beginning of the blu ray? I bought this and watched it thinking, "this scene looks lousy". After about a third of the film it looks fine, but I was beginning to question my purchase.

Honesty, Kane, Schindlers, Vertigo and the rest aside, Godfather 1 and 2 are probably the best movies ever made. They breathe life. Coppola's artistic control over the films is impeccable. Periods films that don't look like staged period films. Casting and performances are impeccable, probably the best ever put on film. They define naturalism. They are about people in difficult situations, not movies propelled by dramatic situations. And above all, they are exercises in class and style. Goodfellas is a great rollicking crime story, but the Godfather is timeless art -- mannered and elegant. Rock and roll vs Beethoven. Before there was Star Wars, there was the Godfather for films with a deep "mythology" that you could dissect character by character, each being so well drawn, and examine their motivation within the tapestry of the plot. The Sopranos obvious took that lesson to heart.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    JMT and enro99 like this.
  21. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I like them and watch the first two probably three times a year.

22. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

First movie is pretty good. Coppola wisely left out the few unnecessary subplots such as Lucy Mancini and the truck driver turned singing star friend of Johnny Fontane.

Scenes in Sicily in "II" are pretty good but otherwise it's a very overrated movie

"III" proves how smart Duvall is for not appearing in it.

When "I" came out, one of my friends of Italian ancestry sent a letter to Coppola complaining that Michael should have named his son Vito after his father, an Italian tradition. Coppola wrote back saying he was trying to show Michael was Americanized. But I noticed when "II" came out, they mentioned Vito was his middle name.

23. Michael

it was not a miscarriage.

24. Michael

I have both GF DVD box sets...wish they would have incorporated the TV version as a bonus!

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

"And may your first child be a masculine child."

Bertolluci's The Conformist was a big influence on Coppola, particularly the visual style. He also used Gastone Moschin in Part II as Fanucci. Even if it's not a mafia film, I heartily recommend The Conformist for your viewing pleasure.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.