Any Serious Godfather fans out there?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MBERGHAU, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I always feel bad for Abe Vigoda. He is so likable in real life. Classic guy!

2. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

But Michael learned that it was a miscarriage, so MikeP5877's sentence is correct.

3. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Plus, I didn't want to be responsible for any spoilers...

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I've seen them three times this year:cheers:

5. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Enough that I'm out to get the old open matte Laserdiscs to check out the open framing and to see if the mono PCM is better than the lossy Blu-ray audio. :winkgrin:

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

NO... can't discuss forbidden topic.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  7. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

Who killed the assassins at the Lake Tahoe compound ??

8. Zep Fan

9. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I just love the way the first one opens. Almost like Patton, Coppola introduces directly into the entire value structure of the main character, only so wonderfully subtlety. You get the sad story of that poor guy, and just like today, the story of the kids getting off. Not once do you see his face. Then, and only after the story ends, you not only see Corleone's face, but you hear his dissertation about the way he lives his life, his beliefs, his value structure. Now you not only know how this guy thinks, you also think kindly about him, because he's going to fix this unjust decision that this poor shlub has suffered, with his daughter disfigured for life and the boys going free. You have now totally bought into the film's central character and many of its themes and ethics (not really a great word). It's done so artfully and unobtrusively. Just brilliant screen writing.

10. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Gordon Willis and Walter Murich really should take a bow for these films too.

enro99 and The Panda like this.
  11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Robert Harris deserves credit for the restoration. It's mavelous

12. Zep Fan

Special Newsweek Edition - The Godfather: 45 Years of a Cinematic Masterpiece

[​IMG]

Newsweek Special Editions brings you a unique celebration of some of the greatest films ever—The Godfather trilogy. Join Newsweek as we take you behind the scenes of Don Vito Corleone and his two families—the Corleones who share his blood and the vast crime family that honors his name. Featuring Newsweek's original archival coverage of the films, exclusive content and the most beloved quotes from all three films, this collector's edition is timed to celebrate the 45th anniversary of The Godfather, and is a must own for all film buffs and crime scholars.

Newsweek: The Godfather— 45 Years »

Hey, I don't work for Newsweek. I'm just a fan, and I thought other GF fans might enjoy this while it's on the newsstands. I saw it a CVS Pharmacy.

enro99 and Myke like this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just watched 1 again last night. :angel:

mj_patrick likes this.
  14. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

That's hilarious... I did too, after not having watched it for years. What triggered it for me was talking with my boss who told me it was one of his favorite films.

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I watched the 1st two back to back the other day. I usually don't have time to revisit Blu-rays - my website demands constant feeding! - but January is a slow month for new releases so I had the luxury of watching something that I wasn't gonna review.

I gotta admit I still am not sure I believe the super-yellow look of the Blu-rays is what those movies looked like in the 70s. There's just something weird and "off" about the coloring...

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I dug out my copy of the book last week. :cheers:

Stratoblaster and ianuaditis like this.
  17. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I have a theory that those bodies were pre-killed and planted there to give the real assassins more time to escape.

18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I think they left a bit vague what exactly went down between Johnny Ola and Fredo so that you could sympathize with Fredo before he gets murdered, yet also understand why Michael felt he had to do it, assuming it'e ever acceptable to murder your brother.
    Your father did business with Hyman Roth, he respected Hyman Roth... but he never trusted Hyman Roth!

19. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

Michael was told it was a miscarriage. But then he found out otherwise.

20. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Nah. Because Fredo was not intelligent enough to really know the gravity what he was doing. He was completely bamboozled by smooth talking Johnny Ola. He was never given "important" jobs in the Family for that reason.
    In fact , Coppola makes a point of driving home the issue of Fredo's limited intelligence, by having Michael make that statement to Tom Hagan..."Fredo is Weak....and he's Stupid"....

Vinny123 and enro99 like this.
  21. Muzyck

Muzyck Pardon my scruffy hospitality

The stage was set for the way Fredo would be portrayed as weak early in the trilogy in the scene where he has pneumonia as a child. They try to release the demons through a candle on his chest.

22. stereoguy

Godfather 1 and 2 are likely two of the greatest films ever made. Especially 1.

The real genius about them, I always thought , was that Copolla tells a serious story, deadly in some cases, in a serious manner, but he understands that Nothing in life is 100% serious, there is always some light hearted component to it.
    Thats why he has some humorous scenes in the 3 movies, even in GF 1, like when the great Vito Scotti, as Nazorine the baker is leaving The Dons office...."And wait till you see the beautiful cake I made for your daughter....with the Bride and The Groom......as only Vito Scotti could do it.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    enro99 and Chris from Chicago like this.
  23. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I've lost count of the amount of times, I've watched all three. I read the book before I saw the movies, and was glad I did. '

24. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

All true. And I'd like to piggyback another reason why Copolla is brilliant in his direction of this...he makes us like, and root for what is essentially a bad man. And a bad family. No easy task. These are not heroes. They're villains. Yet you pull them anyway.

25. stereoguy

Thats a great point Chris. You *Do* get the vibe that The Corleones are this warm Italian family that even took in Tom Hagan when he was a kid with no place to go. Of course, theres a bit more to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.