Any suggestions for a cheap 4 track recorder?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by jligon, Dec 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jligon

jligon Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking to buy a low priced 4 track recorder for my girlfriend but I can only spend around $100-$150. She's gonna use it for some (low-fi) home recording (piano, electic keyboard, accordian, tin whistles, flute, clarinet, vocals, etc.) for the most part, for fun.

I've used a Fostex before but I'm not sure if there's much difference between Fostex, Tascam, Yamaha or others among the recorders available in that price range. Are the new recorders that I see for $89.99 junk? Should I limit myself to new recorders or are used machines going to be better for the price I'm looking to spend.

Thanks for any advice and I apologize if I seem rediculous for looking for such a cheap machine.

Jon

2. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

does she own a computer?

if so, might be a better idea to just get some audio software...? way more versatile, IMO

3. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

You might want to look at the Tascam 414 cassette unit. $249.00 according to Froogle (I thought it'd be a little less expensive than that by now, but maybe used ones are more affordable).

4. galactustrilogy

galactustrilogy New Member

I don't know what it costs, but Tascam has a new unit that is almost hand-holdable, 4 tracks, digital. I saw a review on it and it was pretty positive. Great for use on the road or in cramped spaces, or just fooling around. I personally believe the Tascam stuff is somewhat better made than Fostex, altho' I think Fostex was started by former Tascamers. When you handle their gear, the fostex stuff just seems a bit more plasticky. I've also used some mid-level yamaha digital multitracks and they're fine, but probably beyond what you want. I also find that unless you really want to record and edit using computer based systems, outboard multitrack units are more user friendly and easier to learn on. They feel more like traditional mixing boards, altho to be honest, the new digital multitracks do require a fair learning curve if you really want to make use of all of the features they offer. Plus you don't need a fast computer/lots of RAM to get started. Tascam cassette multitracks are generally well made, and the one I own, an early (1980s vintage) Tascam 244 has terrific mic preamps and has been chugging along for almost 20 years or so. Cassettes are cool in that you don't worry much about overdriving the signal into distortion, unlike digital recording. And for rock and roll, overdriving the signal can be a good thing. Good luck!

5. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

I have a circa 1985 TASCAM PORTASTUDIO 4 track that is still working great....but I use a fostex mixer for the pre-amps (same vintage, the thing is huge), and that works real well....the tascam has dbx noise reduction. I mix down directly to a cd-r recorder and the quality is great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.