Any suggestions for a tube driven phono preamp under 200?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wiki, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiki

wiki Member Thread Starter

Yes, I have seen the older thread asking this question but it is a few years old now. I figure some new things have been released in the past few years...

So as of 2015, are there any good tube driven phono pre-amps that are are under 200? I'm using an Art DJ PreII phono preamp, which is transistor based and am fairly happy with the sound, but was considering making an upgrade come Christmas time if anyone has some good suggestions.

Edit: Any experience with the YAQIN MS-23B ?

2. pbiancardi

pbiancardi Forum Resident

3. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

Does it have to be tube based? In the under $300 price range I don't actually think cheap Chinese tube phono stages are going to be a huge improvement over something like the LCR from Lounge Audio plus its made in the USA. This one looks pretty decent as well: http://www.haglabs.com/collections/phono-preamps/products/bugle2

ThorensSme likes this.
  4. wiki

wiki Member Thread Starter

Yeah, if I got a new pre-amp I'd want it to be tube based. The SS based pre-amp I have is pretty good, so if I were going to upgrade I'd like to get a more tubey sound.

5. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I got the Hagerman Bugle 2 awhile back and it's extremely quiet and well built. The under $200 is tough for a tube phono stage - if you have a separate amp and preamp, perhaps you could look into a tubed buffer stage that would give you some tubey sound for all your sources.

beowulf likes this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

7. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

8. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

I totally agree, I just purchased the Yaqin MS-23 and it is truly a bargain, but buy it from Amazon because of the return policy.
    I received it with one dead channel and I had a new one in my hands before I returned the original. Only about 2 weeks shipping
    time. I also have a Yaqin MC-10T intergrated which sound incredible even with the stock tubes.

Bill

http://www.amazon.com/YAQIN-MC-10T-...8&qid=1441153711&sr=8-1&keywords=Yaqin+MC-10t

9. Old Audiophool

Old Audiophool Forum Resident

http://www.amazon.com/YAQIN-upgrade...8&qid=1441483579&sr=8-1&keywords=yaqin+ms-23b

This is the proper site for the MS-23B

10. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I'm seriously considering the MS-23B as well.

I'll give the stock tubes a chance first, but the general consensus seems to be that it is easy to do better.

Have any of you owners of this unit swapped in other tubes? If so, which ones?

A reviewer on Amazon suggested several that he considers upgrades. I guess I could just choose a pair from that list.

11. Addison

Addison Active Member

I had a YAQIN MS-22b. Sound was great, better (but not excessively so) than the simple Pro-Ject box I have now. It was more unique in sound, but it had terrible noise issues when you raised the volume (something that happened to occur a day after I had bought it) either way I got my money back from the seller (he sold it for 100) :) just my experience.

12. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Yes, I've read that noise was often an issue with the 22b, and that the updates on the 23b were mainly to address that. I plan to order through Amazon and send it back if I have that problem.

Did you get around to any tube rolling or just use the stock tubes?

13. Addison

Addison Active Member

The man I had bought it from had apparently changed the tubes in the time he had owned it, but it still had the noise issues when I bought it. I didn't bother due to ignorance and I was okay with having my money back.

14. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Lounge phonostage would hit your quite limiting price point.
    It is not vacuum valve driven, but sounds like it is.
    It will also have far less of the negative aspects of purchasing super cheap Chinese (or otherwise) junk, namely distortion.
    And I might ask, what is the point?
    A glowing tube, or the fidelity?

No offense meant, yet I truly feel you may be looking for something that does not exist, or not with the fidelity you will desire. Best of luck

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/lounge-audio-phonostage/

ThorensSme likes this.
  15. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Agree with most here.....For $200 bucks you're much better off finding something used that's solid state......$200 worth of new tube preamp isn't going to be as good as $200 worth of used solid state.

I understand you want tubes....but your tube buffer is adding that to your sound....tube + tube might make it too mushy. Further, for $200 worth of tube pre, you're not spending enough to get an upgrade.....side grade maybe, downgrade more likely.

16. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Thanks for the feedback folks. No problem in offering opinions - definitely appreciated - but have you actually listened to the Yaqin? There are plenty of good reviews of it, and if I buy through Amazon I can return it no questions asked.

Having said that, I may try to step up and pay the $300 for a Lounge LCR. Certainly would be nice to buy from a small US manufacturer and the reviews sound universally good.

FWIW, my current phono stage is a recapped and upgraded Yamaha C4 pre. I certainly do not want to move sideways!

17. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

18. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Disclaimer: I have no association with this seller.

Just a FYI: Currently there is a used 9/10 Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE Phono Pre Amp Stage on A'gon for three hundred and ten dollars (retail $570ish), IMO, a true bargain.

These have been extremely well reviewed over the years and are often sold because the original owner did not break them in properly and they wind up not hearing their true music potential. Our local audio group have scooped up several of these, they have been properly burned in, are still in service, and highly coveted for their sonic excellence and silence in between.

(Hagerman has a reverse RIAA card for under $50 that can take a line level signal, like from a tuner or CD player and convert it to a phono cartridge level output. This devise is used for a "no pain, put true gain" phonostage break in burner.) I highly recommend this devise. If you were local to me, I would gladly lend you mine. Happy Listening!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    ThorensSme likes this.
  19. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

This sounds like the best option.

20. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Yeah, it is a stellar piece of gear.

The one caveat though, it will not have a tubie (per OP's initial request) sound to it. Rather, it will offer, a very reliable and just about highest (balanced) fidelity for the dollar, overall. And dead silence in between.

ThorensSme likes this.
  21. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

I had the gram amp 2se and the lounge lcr both in my system for awhile.
    In my experience listening to both I preferred the Lounge lcr. It seemed to let more of the recording through, and instruments and vocals seemed more palpable. That said the gram amp is a great phono pre! But I do think the Lounge betters it by a margin, and that's why I kept it and sold the gram amp.

Also a good point on breakin, in my experience both of these units go through significant breakin and their true potential is realized after. The Lounge did not sound very impressive when first powered up!

VinylRob likes this.
  22. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Great comments from yr experience ThorensSme! That's what makes this site so valuable, the people, the experience, and the desire to contribute!

ThorensSme likes this.
  23. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Ive definitely had my fair share of helpful insight from these forums, so nice to be able to contribute useful info as well.

24. dmckean

dmckean Forum Resident

If you're up for a little DIY, you can actually build an EAR 834P clone from Chinese kits of Ebay for a little over $200. It should sound better than anything else mentioned here.

25. Is that with chassis?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.