Any suggestions for isolation platform feet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

Thinking of using a thick piece of granite/cutting board for an isolation platform. Need feet for it.

EDIT: for my VPI prime scout turntable.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  2. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

For speakers? Turntable?

3. McGuy

Sorry. Turntable.

4. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Depends on the budget. I think IsoAcoustics is a good compromise between basic stuff from Herbie's, etc., and insanely expensive Stillpoints. The new Orea series is made for components.

plastico, Diskhound and McGuy like this.
  5. Joey Kaspick

Joey Kaspick Forum Resident

I tried many things and finally went to a wall mount.

plastico likes this.
  6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

7. Tejano Libre

Tejano Libre New Member

8. HankM

HankM Senior Member

Vibrapods

seed_drill, c-eling, noladaoh and 3 others like this.
  9. Oak conned feet and stay away from granite!!

plastico and Robert C like this.
  10. McGuy

That was my next question! so, no granite? dammit, it was easy. I don't want to actually have to make something honestly. Crud...

11. You can get oak coned feet on ebay cheaply enough. Granite sucks the life out of TTs in my experience. A LIGHT weight platform is the way to go. Many like bamboo chopping boards for example. I use Torlyte. Makes my TT sing.

4xoddic, Rolltide, gov and 1 other person like this.
  12. McGuy

I will check it out, thanks for the advice.

Fishoutofwater likes this.
  13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

We use Vibrapods at work. Swap the granite for a bamboo butcher's block.

Fishoutofwater and McGuy like this.
  14. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

33na3rd likes this.
  15. McGuy

Thanks for all the suggestions. Part of the problem honestly is looks. I'm sure the thing above it good, but it doesn't look good with my system. That's why I thought granite, but now that's a no-go. Vibrapods were my choice under the granite. Butcher block is probably perfect but it's not black, guess I could paint it or even use flexseal on it

MadMelMon likes this.
  16. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

BigGame and MadMelMon like this.
  17. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

Hockey pucks

Sugar Man likes this.
  18. McGuy

They actually sell this Auralex at one of my local dealers. I just can't get past the looks, even though if you're a true audiophile, which apparently I'm not, it shouldn't matter ;)

19. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

You could easily use black stain on a butcher block, much easier than paint.

I've tried both maple and bamboo in my system. Bamboo has an amazingly fast and detailed sound to it, but seems tilted towards the upper frequencies in my set up. The maple has a warmer sound that suites my tastes more.

I have found that the HD Herbies Tenderfeet to work rather well under the maple block, I prefer not to use them directly under equipment.

McGuy likes this.
  20. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Under my Classic2, I used a locally quarried piece of limestone and the Discs of Silence from Sweden for the feet. The feet were purchased from The Cable Co. I couldn't be happier. The sonic improvement was great. Here's the thread on that addition to my system, which not only includes pictures and a listening evaluation, but what is commonly called kitchen science as to why the feet work so well:

Discs of Silence isolation feet

33na3rd likes this.
  21. Diskhound

Diskhound Forum Resident

This is very good advise. I use their feet under my Logans and their pucks under most of my source gear. I am very happy. I couldn't easily use IsoAcoustic products under my table though so I used feet on my table sitting inside the deep depressions of Herbie's Fat Grounding bases, which sit on a slab of bamboo countertop. I am pretty happy with the results. FWIW, I really like the impact that bamboo countertop had on my table, pre and phono stage. All of which sit on it. Definite improvement in bass impact and resolution.

4xoddic and lonelysea like this.
  22. McGuy

I am clearly no scientist, but wondering why granite is bad but limestone, marble, etc. are better? Is it the density of the material?

23. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

What's wrong with granite? One member here who posts that it didn’t work work for him in his particular setup shouldn’t put you off the fact that many more audiophiles using granite or marble slabs are delighted with results in their setups. There’s no way that granite can be appropriate for use in every setup, but that shouldn’t discourage you from trying it in yours.

Antivibration washing machine footers work well under granite or marble slabs. Thick self-adhesive felt pads work well. Vibrapods work well, but can emit a residue that stains some surfaces. Round bumpers meant for wall protection from door handles work well as feet for granite and marble slabs. Replacement component feet (used without the screw) also work well. Lots of good looking and/or unobtrusive choices.

Stay away from IsoBearings because they use sorbothane on the bottom which badly stains furniture finishes and metal finishes.

BigGame and McGuy like this.
  24. McGuy

cool! it's just much easier for me to find a 1 inch thick piece of granite that's already black than anything else to be honest.

25. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Go to Michaels and buy some sheet foam and then go to HD and buy some sound deadener board (it only comes in 4x8 sheets but it costs only 14 and HD should cut it for free) glue 2 together (I used contact cement) and wrap in the fabric of your choice and stretch an staple it to the deadener. Glue the foam (I used locktite grabit) to the deadener and voila, you'll have a great vibration absorbing slab. Since the board is soft and doesn't vibrate you don't really need fancy feet.

I have an Auralex but not the one for the TT but for a small amp which is larger but I think my home made one is better because the foam is softer and more resistant to vibration and mine looks better too and way cheaper.

McGuy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.