Any suggestions for isolation platform feet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

2. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

No, hadn't even noticed those. I'm using the cork ones at top of the page.

3. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

Looks like it might be time for a shoot-out comparison!

McGuy and George Blair like this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It is my understanding that a good isolation platform will absorb energy. Granite definitely won't do that. I use a Symposium platform under my TT. It is black and looks great and works great. I recommend a Symposium Segue platform under your TT.

mreeter and Kristofa like this.
  5. Kristofa

Kristofa Enthusiast of small convenient sound carrier units

If you have an IKEA in your area, try the thickest bamboo cutting board. It is a very inexpensive experiment. Like you said, if you like the sound, you can paint (stain) it. If you don’t you have a splendid cutting board for your kitchen or as a gift. You really cannot go wrong with the experiment, but only you can tell us what works best.

4xoddic and Mad shadows like this.
  6. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

I use a 5 inch thick piece of granite under my TT and it does wonders to help with isolation. I have high mass TT on top of it. Its a lot of mass therefore takes a lot of energy to move it.

7. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

Kristofa and 33na3rd like this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

9. McGuy

turns out it's too small! The feet on my VPI are over 17 inches apart. seems to be an issue with most of the platforms - they're made for smaller units. crap...

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

ellingtonic likes this.
  11. McGuy

those are nice but really trying to keep the price way down. thanks though. budget is around $150 or so max.

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I use the blue ones, never tried the cork.

13. gritty

gritty Forum Resident

14. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Your granite slab, with four of the feet that have been mentioned earlier in the thread, will absorb all sorts of energy. Granite is used as a heat storage medium for some applications, among many other things. Resonance that reaches a dense substance like granite is converted mostly into a very small amount of heat. That’s one of the important design goals of good anti-vibration/anti-resonance platforms. Thick granite stores that tiny amount of heat quite well, but doesn’t resonate easily. That also means a thick slab of granite won’t ring or vibrate enough to create sound of its own. Granite is also so dense that it offers significant weight per any given volume, which means it tends to damp the vibration of any shelf, table, stand or piece of furniture on which it’s placed.

15. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

That's a good idea for many tables, but if his VPI is similar to my Clearaudio, the weight isn't distributed evenly across the table because of the heavy motor pod on one side, and the foam will compress more on that side over time unless you use a stiffer foam that isn't nearly as effective for isolation in the lower frequency range we generally want to cover.

For my Clearaudio Avantgarde, I went with two tempered glass cutting boards with a constrained layer of silicone rubber (mold making compound) in-between. Just one of many approaches, but it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. My motor pod is separate from the plinth, so makes the connection through the damped glass beneath (and the belt). The glass platform is coupled to the rack below with simple thick felt pads, but will be moved to a wall rack at some point.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  16. WayneC

WayneC Hopelessly addicted to vinyl

I went throough trying all sorts of support stuff some years ago. You know what I ended up with ? Cork.
    If you are really tight (like me...) wine bottle or prosecco / champagne corks work just great. I still use the latter under my valve power amp. I do like inexpensive stuff that works!

4xoddic likes this.
  17. Davey

Some people also use the natural rubber or silicone bottle stoppers available at scientific supply stores in various sizes and hardness levels, they aren't too expensive

18. ellingtonic

ellingtonic Forum Resident

I'm using a Segue ISO under my Classic 2 SE in conjunction with the Symposium footer inserts. They made a huge difference together. It took a minute to get used to the difference in bass - low end is so much cleaner and palpable. I also noticed more space not just between the instruments, but the individual notes in some cases. Detail and transients are much clearer.

Tullman likes this.
  19. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

4xoddic likes this.
  20. McGuy

I'm all for the butcher block thing but again, needs to be black. And I'm pretty sure I'm too lazy to sand and stain it - but I might give it a shot. thanks.

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am using the Symposium footers in my Prime. I started with the footers and liked what I heard. I then installed Symposium couplers. Again, I liked the improvements. Next comes the Segue.

Symposium Technology: A Discussion

22. McGuy

I wish I could get the Segue. Spent way too much in January - the VPI Prime Scout and the McIntosh phono preamp set me waaaaay back. And I still don't have an MC cart yet for the VPI, which I know is a necessity! or at least a preference and significant upgrade from the 2M Blue I'm using now.

23. Granite is the Devil's work IMO. Lighter materials always work better;, in my experience

33na3rd, Mike from NYC and Tullman like this.
  24. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I sanded mine, Stained it, and Finished it to match the rest of the wood in my Racks.

[​IMG]
    You could do the same with paint, but it requires a little effort.

4xoddic, Robert C, Kristofa and 3 others like this.
  25. Davey

Why do you feel the need for an added platform? What does it set on now?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.