Any suggestions for isolation platform feet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McGuy, Feb 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I built it to use under a VPI Scoutmaster and because the weight is distributed the foam doesn't sag or didn't sag until the time i dumped the VPI. It had a pretty big platform too measuring 18"x24" almost the size of my rack's shelf. I was pretty surprised how strong the foam was.

Davey likes this.
  2. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

That's good, it does work well for isolating a range of frequencies, much better I think than those stiff foam washing machine type pads that so many are using now. I investigated doing one for my Clearaudio table, but it was way too unbalanced with the soft foam I wanted to use. The idea did work well for a big amp I used in the past to isolate the transformer hum from the rack it was on, but it had a pretty symmetrical and balanced layout with transformer in the middle.

3. McGuy

McGuy All Mc, all the time... Thread Starter

4xoddic and 33na3rd like this.
  4. McGuy

It sits directly on my audio rack by VTI. which is hollow metal tubes (not filled with sand) and mdf/wood shelves. I figure it can't hurt to have a platform

5. Dr-Sardonicus

Dr-Sardonicus Forum Resident

How does one tell which model to get? I'm looking to isolate my turntable with something like this, it's a Dual 601, if that helps.

6. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

The Dual 601 is a suspension turntable, yes? If so, Vibrapods may not be the best choice. For suspension turntables, as opposed to mass-loaded turntables, it’s best to let the suspension springs on which the plinth rests do their jobs without adding a platform or isolation feet that are also flexible. Anyway, I think the Dual 601 will greatly benefit from a solid, heavy base, 16” x 20” x 1.5”-2” thick, made of a slab of laminated wood (e.g., a Boos Block cutting board, or a slab of cultured stone (i.e., imitation marble) of the same dimensions.

ggergm likes this.
  7. Dr-Sardonicus

Dr-Sardonicus Forum Resident

Thanks for the suggestion.

8. McGuy

Based on weight I think

9. HankM

HankM Senior Member

The weight of your component, Vibrapods website can help you on which number to get.

McGuy likes this.
  10. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

11. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

If you have the patience, you can read through this 28-page thread about isolating equipment. I definitely benefited from it anyway and I know a lot of others did as well.

The recommendations won't cost an arm and a leg!

Attention Barry Diament and other speaker isolation gurus!

JG

McGuy likes this.
  12. James Glennon

Here is the advice I got for my turntable all those years ago, cost me all of $5 for the ball bearings. I had the brass washers and the cups. Glued the cups to the brass washers, put them in an equilateral triangle under the platform. Wallah! Great improvement!

I did a simple 'tap' test on my original platform, with the platter not turning I placed the arm on a record, turned up the volume and I could hear a loud thump. Then I placed the platform on top of the ball bearings and repeated the procedure, practically no 'thump' at over half volume. That's isolation! Thanks Barry D!

https://i.imgur.com/WThkhhM.jpg

JG

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  13. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

I use a Synposium Segue ISO under my Prime, and will never go back to anything else.

Tullman likes this.
  14. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

15. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

Im a little confused, is the point of a turntable isolation platform to reduce vibrations caused by the music through the speakers? if so, would it still be necessary to have one for headphone listening?

16. James Glennon

Important for the turntable to be isolated so that vibrations don't go up into the arm and then into the cartridge, which will mess up the sound.

JG

17. tjannace

tjannace Well-Known Member

right, but if youre using headphones there would be vibrations from the music right?

18. James Glennon

There is airborne vibration and groundborne vibration, the trick is to isolate the turntable from both!

Well if you are listening through headphones the loudspeakers will be cut off so what is the issue?

JG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.