Any thoughts on The Beatles UK 80's EP (vinyl) box?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Todd Fredericks, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member Thread Starter

I just won this on Ebay with a "Buy it Now". How are the sonics? Did they use the original metal parts on this too? Please don't say it's re-processed stereo or mastered by a drunk, disgruntled employee...

Todd

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I mastered them on my SONY VAIO. They're actually those cute little CD-R's with a vinyl facade on the top side. Hope you didn't pay too much.

3. Todd Fredericks

I know which CD-R's you're talking about! Kewl!! Also, I hope you removed all that nasty hiss on those ancient recordings (to think they had electricity in them olden days). Did you super-compress the songs to make them as loud as my Oasis CD's?? I hate it when I have to crank the sound on those cheapie-quiet CD's (Heck, I want digital, not whisper, baby)!!

Todd

P.S. Have you ever tried playing a record in a CD player? Don't!

4. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

:) I especially enjoy cranking the noise removal up to a point where, not only is there no hiss, everything sounds like it's underwater. Glad you can appreciate my smart ass comment, Todd. It's late and I was feelin' kinda jerky. On the forum help tip, unfortunately, I know not of the EP box sound. I hope you'll report on your listening results. Thanks.

5. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I'm pretty sure it's the original masters for the box.

6. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident

I really like the EP vinyl box, a very nice item and better sound than the CD equivalent, although the CD version is pretty good.

7. Todd Fredericks

Thanks, I look forward to hearing it!! :)

I love that effect too!! I wish Steve does that for the next batch of AP 45's. It would be so kewl to listen to Miles as if we're submerged in an aquarium. I can just imagine the bubbles flowing out of his horn!! :)

Todd

8. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

Is that what is means when a reviewer says that a recording has no air around the instruments?

9. Todd Fredericks

Ya, only bubbles!! :D

10. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

I own the 80's EP Box Set and enjoy it immensely. However the bonus Ep that comes with the box set states that "This Boy" is first time stereo in the U.K. It plays re-channeled. Fortunately this was corrected when EMI reissued it on CD. Besides that you should be happy with it.

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't own it. However I doubt that they used old metal from tube-cut lacquers to press these though, since I believe the individual vinyl EP's were in print when this box came out (and for some time thereafter). Since the EP's stayed available all those years, EMI would have to had cut new lacquers occasionally. Nothing to sweat over though - this set should sound fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.