Any thoughts regarding 5.1 vs. 7.1

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by JohnnyK, Jan 14, 2005.

1. I have a nice 5.1 setup with an Aragon StageOne pre/pro. The unit is designed for 7.1, however I just use 5.1. The Aragon has THX Ultra-2 Cinema Mode, DTS-EX and DTS-Matrix.

I have been thinking of advancing from 5.1 to 7.1. I have some speakers that I can use and I can use an old SAE receiver with Pre-outs that I can use as an amp.

I know that there are not that many movies in 7.1, however the THX Ultra-2 Cinema Mode will create the rear surround channels even if none are present on the DVD.

Does anybody have any thoughts on 7.1 that they would like to share?
  2. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

It seems to me a way for hi-fi companies to add 2.1 more sales of their speakers than anything else. :laugh:
  3. RexKramer

RexKramer Active Member

Is there content for 7.1 yet? I know there's 6.1, and a 7.1 speaker sends the 6th
    (rear center) speaker to left and right. This is what I've been told, never heard it
    in practice...

Mark
  4. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

According to my Pioneer manual, 7.1 is recommended because with two rear channel speakers, sound localization isn't an issue (and if I understood correctly, the signal on both channels is not the same).

I planned my HT as a 7.1 affair from the beginning. Now I think it's just a gimmick.

Then again, the moment I listened to "The Lion King" in 7.1 I was *hooked*. There's a scene where Mufasa jumps from behind you, and I could swear he had jumped over me. Such a shame there are so few movies in DD-EX. :(
  5. Juan Solo

Juan Solo New Member

There are some receivers/processors that can decode a 6.1/7.1 signal from a 5.1 source wether it is DTSES/DDEX encoded or not. I have a 7.1 speaker set up using a Denon 4802 receiver. To my ears, it is definitively worth it. I prefer the 7.1 set up over the 6.1, as the two rear speakers help to diffuse the signal (the same signal goes through both speakers) for a more realistic effect.

Juan
  6. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Well-Known Member

Why stop there? Wouldn't 9.1 be better? ;)

I understand that there may be some scenes in which the movie surround sound experience may be enhanced by 7.1 over 5.1 (particularly sounds coming from the rear and moving forward, or vice versa), but that is not going to happen a lot and I can think of much better things to spend $$ on in improving a system.

Also, this is not going to help with multichannel music. IMO multichannel for rock music is often improved by localizing rather than diffusing the sound from the rear speakers. For classical music, the rear channels are typically providing room ambience only so there is not a huge difference between localized and diffused sound from the rear speakers. But it is an extremely rare musical recording (Pink Floyd and certain multichannel demo disks being the only exceptions I can think of) that tries to utilize sounds moving from rear to front (or vice versa).
  7. Gregate

Gregate New Member

Can anyone advice me on the purchasing of a 7.1 receiver, between u$600 and u$1,200? :edthumbs:
  8. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Corvette Lover

I am holding out for 999.1. Anything over 100 would be meaningless! :D