Any tweakers here? Try this on your turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Damián, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I'd found this some time agobut just got around to trying it today (on my backup 'table, on my backup system).

'Strange Tonearm Tweak' by Twl

It DOES do something. I wonder just how revealing of much improvement my ghetto bookshelf speakers are, but I notice a certain overall refinement to the sound.

Thought someone could find it interesting.

2. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Saw this thread title and I'm oh my gawd, he's asking how many crackheads we have on the Forum...

3. Damián

HAHAHAHAH

Didn't know 'tweakers' was a term for crackheads :laugh: :laugh:.

4. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

could this actually work?

5. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Sure it works, but you need to tweak it to your particular components and probably to your taste.

It is a way to add lateral mass to the arm, nothing more.

BTW, are there pictures of the gizmo anywhere?

6. Damián

Yes, it does. I've tried it myself, although as I mention my current system (I'm having a room painted so the 'good' one is boxed up) isn't too revealing.

But on paper, it makes sense. The idea is, increasing the horizontal mass of the arm, the cantilever has a harder time pushing the arm around; since something has to vibrate, well, the cantilever does. Which is what you want it to do in the first place.

The result is some more definition (at least what I thought I heard). If you read the guy's post, he equates the tweak with the effects of using a fluid damper. It makes sense, to me anyway.

He also mentions unipivot arms, and how the lateral outrigger weights on those increase the mass of the arm (as perceived by the cantilever) on the lateral plane, albeit unintentionally.

I don't know, I just found it interesting. No point in rambling on with my 'kitchen physics'.

7. Damián

Sorta. Search the Vinyl Asylum for scevans empire finial. This guy was tweaking the sh** out of an Empire 298 up to a while ago, and he tried many incarnations of this tweak (he swears by it). Many of those posts have pictures, but some look rather mad scientist-like. Don't say I didn't warn you ;).

Yes, 'finial'. As in brass finial. Not a typo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.