Anybody damage a stylus with a Magic Eraser? (Update: Not damaged, problem resolved!) *

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 33na3rd, Oct 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident Thread Starter

I do have have a jeweler's loupe, and yes, it is a cheap one!:)

I see nothing wrong with the cantilever or stylus. The cartridge seems to be riding at the same height.

I realize that with something this small, that I may be missing a clue.

When I remove the cartridge, I'll give it a closer examination.

When I put a new cartridge on, I'll continue using the Magic Erasure, but perhaps only with the "dipping" method.

All those folks that mentioned the advantage of MM's--Point taken, and definitely under consideration!

2. cjc

cjc Senior Member

33na3rd likes this.
  3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

You want to clean the magic eraser for two reasons. The dust builds on the ME very quickly and a worn Magic Eraser works better.

4. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Might be worth double checking all your tonearm/cart settings; not saying that using ME caused that, but I periodically check the settings on my arm, just to be sure, even when nothing seems amiss.

33na3rd likes this.
  5. tin ears

tin ears Forum Resident

I keep my magic eraser in an old stylus box for easy access, it's also perfect for keeping it clean. Turn it upside down and tap the box a couple of times after use to shake off any debris, job done. Just remember to brush the stylus afterwards.

[​IMG]

33na3rd, mikeyt and Bill Hart like this.
  6. Matt Nes.

Matt Nes. Well-Known Member

I would not risk using a magic eraser. Im afraid it's gonna magically erase my needle... But on a more serious side. I still dont believe in using a ME. Its just too dangerous. My cartridge came with a little nylon bristle brush for gently cleaning the needle if/when it may need it. Thats all I think it would need. I have heard waayy to many horror stories just like the OP's to ever risk using one...

SixtiesGuy likes this.
  7. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

I have used the Magic Eraser (dipping only) for a while but I did not like the abrasiveness of the material and in the end settled on ONZOW Zerodust.

8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

MM?

Sorry, but MM has meant Moving Magnet to me for 40 years. That obviously makes no sense in this connotation.

Anybody want to explain what MM is in this case?

It's my pet peeve about the Internet but when homemade abbreviations confuse rather than enlighten, they're no good.

9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Cuz with MM you can just replace the stylus and not the extra $$ to retip a MC?

ggergm likes this.
  10. ggergm

Maybe. I like that explanation although every MM cartridge I've used over the past 30 years has had a non-replaceable stylus. Its alignment, especially of the stylus vertically into the groove, is much better that way.

Your answer is better than mine. I thought it might be Mighty Morphine and I had visions of microscopic but still heroic turtles punching dust off my stylus.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  11. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

MM means Moving Magnet . A Moving Magnet Stylus tends to be more robust than a Moving Coil .

ggergm likes this.
  12. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I clean my stylus with a belt sander...

13. ggergm

Thank you for the explanation. I don't agree with that assessment but I appreciate the clarification. :)

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

How is that working out for you?

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Well the diamond looks to be alright, but the cartridge is kinda beat up...

I was taught the technique by this gal:

[​IMG]

She also showed me a way to clean video monitors with a bus!

[​IMG]

ggergm and Robin L like this.
  16. 33na3rd

Thanks to everyone here, I found out the cause of my cartridge's sudden change in sound.

Let me stress first, that it had nothing to do with the Magic Eraser!

I thought Bill had a good idea to check out everything again on my table, so I did. I releveled the table, checked my tracking weight and all that other good stuff.
    I then got out my jeweler's loupe that Bill mentioned, and with a bright LED work light gave the Zu Audio Dl-103 another good look.

The stylus looked good, but guess what I found?
    A miniature "tumbleweed" made of fine hair/fibers wound around the cantilever between the front pole and the armature/coil.
    I carefully removed these fibers using an assortment of small stylus brushes, and even a GUM Soft-Pick, which is designed for consumer dental care.
    This took much longer than I would have guessed, but I managed to remove the "tumbleweed" without damaging the coil, and the cartridge is sounding great again!

[​IMG]

Image borrowed from Tone Audio! Green arrow pointing to where the "tumbleweed" was hiding.

The cartridge has been "nuded", so this wouldn't happen on a standard Dl-103.
    I can only surmise that the build up of hair/fiber in this area prevented the cantilever from moving as it should, changing the sound.
    Perhaps when I brushed the stylus with the Magic Eraser, it pulled on the "tumbleweed" and mades it's effect on the cantilever more pronounced.
    The fibers were actually sticking through the hole in the front pole piece, along with the cantilever.

Thank you to everyone who pushed me further to investigate what was really going on with my cartridge!

Jeff

PS--Thanks too, for not pointing out that I misspelled eraser about 100 times! :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    arisinwind, Robin L, mikeyt and 3 others like this.
  17. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

I've been using a Magic Eraser aggressively on my stylus for a couple years now. Nothing's happened except that my stylus is really clean.

bru87tr, Robin L and Antares like this.
  18. ggergm

Congrats on fixing your cartridge, 33na3rd. You deserve a trophy for your bravery. [​IMG]

sunspot42, 33na3rd and BuddhaBob like this.
  19. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

Next time just shower with it and save us all a bunch of posts, ok?

33na3rd and Robin L like this.
  20. 33na3rd

Thanks to the Gorts, for amending the thread title!

21. 33na3rd

Thank you ggergm!

I must confess though, that bravery comes more easily with a modestly priced cartridge like mine!

Robin L likes this.
  22. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

That's great news...it lives it lives. Mind you do be careful with the magic eraser.

23. 33na3rd

I will!

I'll also inspect the underside of my cartridge more often!

24. MadMelMon

MadMelMon Forum Resident

I've been lowering it into the ME, and I also move the turntable back and forth just a tiny bit, which rotates it on the diamond ever so slightly. The hairballs don't always come off with one (static) lowering, but everything comes off in one shot with the slight movement.

25. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

I clean my tennis shoes with a magic eraser and it works really great...I going to pass on cleaning my stylus with one though.

arisinwind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.