Anybody else collect comedy records/CD's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by evillouie, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evillouie

evillouie Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, there are dozens of those. Great stuff, too. They made a "Best-of" from this material when "Sanford & Son" became a hit, but they only used the clean jokes. Beats me how they found enough material for 5 minutes, let alone a whole LP! ;):D

2. David G.

David G. Forum Resident

I have the four Lily Tomlin albums on both LP and CD (This Is a Recording, And That's the Truth, Modern Scream and On Stage). They're among my most frequently played CDs (music or otherwise). I also have three Joan Rivers comedy LPs plus some Bob Newhart and Bill Cosby.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Curious Breeze likes this.
  3. Terry Shute

Terry Shute King of Sweden

Mort Sahl!

I like comedians who were riding high in the 60s, but are largely forgotten today - Jackie Vernon, Totie Fields, Shelley Berman...

4. Paul J

Paul J Forum Resident

5. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I love comedy recordings, especially British comedy from the Goons to Python era. I became a huge Python fan when I was about eight or nine and they're right up there alongside The Beatles as life-long heroes. Through Python, I started to explore other artists.

I collect early UK LP pressings of:
    Monty Python
    Flanders and Swann
    Goons
    Peter Sellers
    Beyond the Fringe
    Peter Cook & Dudley Moore

and CDs by:
    Billy Connelly
    Woody Allen
    Eddie Izzard
    Douglas Adams

I still need to explore more of Not the Nine O'Clock News, Stanley Unwin, and Bernard Cribbins (I only know him from Dr Who).

Curious Breeze and chacha like this.
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

To that list I'll add
    Lenny Bruce
    Flip Wilson
    Robin Williams

Redd Foxx is a real pain though. Seems like hundreds of crappy albums all with the same cover. Dooto Records and Laff Of The Party

7. Travadinho

Travadinho Forum Resident

Cool thread. I love stand up. I won't add anything that hasn't been mentioned, but I own pretty much the entire catalogs of Carlin, Hicks, Stanhope, and Hedberg (as small as it is...). Those amount to my Mount Rushmore of comedy.

Steve Hughes, Andy Andrist, Bill Burr, and Jim Jefferies are all really good too.

Also, anyone like Tim Minchin? He has some really clever songs. Look up "Thank you God", unless you are easily offended.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  8. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

oh, and as folks mentioned the Bonzo Dog Band, I should add them to my list of favorite humorists :)

9. Shriner

Shriner Forum Resident

Yeah, Cosby, Python, Carlin, Pryor, Hedberg, Hicks, Freberg, Smothers Brothers (who do *not* get their due -- these are records you can play over and over and they don't get tiresome), NatLamp, Weird Al etc..

But my prize possession would be all my Dr. Demento collections -- the vinyl box set and all the "Basement Tapes" CDs.

Comedy *music* rarely gets old if it's done well.

Comedy routines can come and go (Carlin I can play over and over for some reason...), but I can play something like "Bulbous Bouffant" or "Punk Rock Girl" by the Dead Milkmen a dozen times and it's still just as funny.

CrazyBrown likes this.
  10. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I have a lot of Lenny Bruce, both official and unofficial and otherwise out-of-print stuff. I think I also have all of Mort Sahl's albums (even a rip of the rare Sahl at Sunset, which Mort did not authorize). I guess that's the extent of my comedy collecting.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  11. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I only bought one Firesign Theatre cd. I couldn't get into it:shrug:

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I have a couple of albums by german comedians. It's great listening to them every two years.

13. Ben Rogers

Ben Rogers New Member

I am just curious who you think is the all time best standup comic? Who makes you laugh more than anyone else?

14. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Assuming you do vinyl, try one of their Columbia LPs. They are out there cheap.

driverdrummer likes this.
  15. slinkyfarm

slinkyfarm Forum Resident

I guess I do, or I did, anyway. I had the '60s-'80s basically covered 25 years ago and there just isn't enough material coming out as new audio releases to keep me looking for it specifically. I got a Cal Stewart 78 and three anonymously labeled "party records" from the '20s recently, but that's about it over the past six months or so.

16. evillouie

I'd have to say George Carlin more than anyone else, by far!

17. evillouie

Yes! I probably wouldn't even have them if I didn't find them used for dirt cheap! I am always cautious whenever I find them in a used bin somewhere, since all the covers are the same. I'm not sure which ones I have, and even then, sometimes the same jokes are on more than one album. And you're right - there must be hundreds out there!

JamieC likes this.
  18. andybeau

andybeau Forum Resident

Monty Python ‎– The Monty Python Matching Tie And Handkerchief
    Label:
    Charisma ‎– CAS 1080
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album, Double Grooved
    This is a bugger of an album

ricks likes this.
  19. Ben Rogers

Ben Rogers New Member

Bill Cosby has two albums where he sings instead of doing comedy. Does anyone know what the rarest/ most valuable comedy LP is?

20. shaundurose

shaundurose New Member

I have some cool comedy like Derek & Clive and Bill Hicks and Woody Allen, but also quite a few curios like Stanley Unwin of Ogdens Nut Gone Flake fame and a really cheesy find by camp 70s comedy star John Inman.

21. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Anyone have Hugh Romney - Third Stream Humour?

22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

No idea. Lenny Bruce or something on Laff Records or one of those other weird labels maybe?

23. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

My favorite is Eddie Murphy's S/T.

Robin Williams Live At The Met, Steven Wright I Have A Pony, Ray Romano Live At Carnegie Hall are all great ones that haven't been mentioned.

I keep my Vanilla Ice and Milli Vanilli in my comedy section as well because they always get a laugh. :)

24. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

Alan Sherman, Earle Dowd and Bob Booker ("The First Family" and "Welcome To the LBJ Ranch"), Spike Jones (his 1960's stuff on Liberty Records), Peter Schickele (PDQ Bach) comprise my collection of comedy records. Rhino is to be congratulated for collecting all of the Alan Sherman records on CD in a fabulous box set although it seems to now be out-of-print.

Sebastian saglimbenI likes this.
  25. 86mets

86mets Counting Crows #1 Fan

I have personally seen and have signed CD copies of the following:

Ron Funches
    Weird Al Yankovic
    Marc Maron

I enjoy all comedy and Ron is my personal favorite comedian...

The Hud likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.