Anybody have a copy of "Song Of The South"?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Larry Naramore, May 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead Thread Starter

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I have it on a Japanese Laser Disc in English with subtitles.

3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I have the same disc (well, not physically the same disc, that would be stealing) as Steve. The subtitles are there for the songs, and the rest of the soundtrack is either the original English on one audio channel or the Japanese dub on the other. The channels are split L/R on both the digital and analog tracks, which was a mild annoyance when I had an older player that did not do the side change automatically as I had to remember to select the correct track twice.

Regards,

4. Gardo

Gardo Audio Epistemologist

I have a couple of copies loaned to me by friends. Once is a VCD of what looks like a VHS copy. The other is a VHS dub of the Japanese LD. I'd love to buy the LD somewhere, but it's long off the market and I'm sure it fetches a very high price.

FWIW, I'm working on an article on SOTS that analyzes it in terms of fable and reality in the Disney imagination.

5. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I have a dvd-r copy of the video cassette. The quality is not too bad. I probably wont watch it again for several years, but I am glad I have a copy of it for historical importance, but lets not get into that discussion again.

6. xios

xios Senior Member

I have a dvd, very nice transfer, obtained from a small ad in Civil War Times. Have to read carefully because they can't sell it to you- they give it to you free if you buy a poster! Only complaint is a small white line above frame line- don't know where that came from. Sound is very good for gray market.

7. RDK

RDK Active Member

I bet my bootleg copy is worse than your bootleg copy! ;)

Mine is actually a vhs tape struck from an old scratched 16 mm print of the film. Here's the story...

Nearly 15 years ago, my wife used to work for a tape duplication service. Her boss (who was busted about a year after she quit) used to get his hands on 16mm film prints that were used in schools, screenings, etc., and before he returned them to the distributor he would transfer a copy of the film to video tape, then transfer them to his banks of vhs recorders. I'm not sure if he actually sold them or not, but he did it quite often and my wife would often grab copies of films that were otherwise unavailable. Pretty cool at the time, but the quality of his transfers really sucked.

As a humorous aside, one of his main clients for video duplication was a company that specialized in foot fetish and spanking videos. :o ;)

Ray

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Is your copy a DVD-R or pressed DVD?

9. xios

xios Senior Member

Michael, my copy is a DVD-R with a color label.

10. Cafe Jeff

Cafe Jeff New Member

I have a VCD copy of it which I downloaded from the newsgroups. I think it was alt.vintage.film or something like that. It took a while and I am not sure it was worth it.
    If you're really desperate, I bet Kazaa would produce a copy. Jeff

11. Larry Naramore

Do you have a phone number on them?

12. Larry Naramore

BTW thanks to all for the reply's. If I can't get a legal :confused: boot my next thing will be to hit somebody up for a copy. BTW speaking of copy's. Since it, "SOTS", has been shown on television shouldn't it be legal to make a copy of it for personal use?

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I will start with a disclaimer that I am not a patent, copyright, or trademark attorney. Now I will answer your question:

No. Not unless you taped the broadcast itself for personal use.

Regards,

14. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Song of the south is one DVD that Disney will never release. It will be locked away forever.

15. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I also have a video that was made from the laser disc. I saw this in the theater during its last (?) release in 1981. I remember my mother making a big deal that my she had to bring my sister and I to see it (see saw it in the theater as a child) because it probably would never be released again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.