Anybody have a idea of what a pair of Electro Voice "the Regal" speakers are worth?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Scott Hicks, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Hicks

Scott Hicks Active Member Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for clicking on this. I had a nice lady come in the store on Saturday and brought all her husbands old gear in to sell on consignment. The only one I can't find a decent worth point on are The Regal electro voice speakers they both work and sound great for their age.

2. Scott Hicks

3. Scott Hicks

4. Scott Hicks

5. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Why don't you buy those yourself? I would.

Scott

Scott Hicks likes this.
  6. Scott Hicks

I am thinking about it honestly i just don't want to give her a unfair amount of cash.... Karma thing

Mad shadows likes this.
  7. Scott Hicks

it came in with a ton of "junk" realistic 8 track, fisher 8 track am/fm integrated with matching glued in speakers.... then all of the sudden a fisher kit 150 amp and matching era pre

8. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

they are in very good condition except for a couple of marks on the top corner - but very decent for their age

Scott Hicks likes this.
  9. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Nice speaker, most likely will need some crossover re-doing, and cleaning of the Pots for the levels.

Nice sounding, heard one years ago, hard to describe sound wise compared to stuff today, but very decent.

The only thing I found lacking a bit was bass power handling. They have decent deep bass, but if you crank them the woofers will bottom out, But Its hard to say if that was due to age or what.

Overall very smooth and nice.

Scott Hicks likes this.
  10. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

It may be that the woofer surrounds are shot as well as the midrange driver if it is a cone type. You could easily be looking at $100 bill to repair.

the other option is keep the cabinets and install new, up to date drivers, if you wanted to. The cabinets are certainly worth something.

Are you thinking in the $200 range or less? Are you ready for a project? It might be nice to keep as original as possible.

Scott Hicks likes this.
  11. McLover

McLover Senior Member

These are high efficiency EV compact bookshelf speakers. And need to be used with lower power amplifiers or be super careful with the volume control. Power handling on these is like 25 watts.

Scott Hicks likes this.
  12. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

Those are so pretty. They look like the pair of EV-4 speakers I inherited from my grandfather years ago. I used them regularly until about 12-years ago when I finally had enough money to buy new speakers. I still have them though. Beasts. They need a restoration but are in fine cosmetic shape.
    These aren't mine, but they're like this:
    http://silverfacestereo.wordpress.com/2014/01/21/shocking-electrovoice-ev4/

I'm guessing the Regal line was higher end?

dan c

Scott Hicks likes this.
  13. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I just noticed that picture on the wall. That would be a must buy for me.

The FRiNgE and Scott Hicks like this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

DanC,

The Electro-Voice EV-4 was the series after the Regal was discontinued. It is really a very similar speaker in nature.

kevintomb and Scott Hicks like this.
  15. Scott Hicks

great guys thanks for all the help... i pulled the backs off and the woofers were de coned by speaker city 6 or so few years ago

16. Scott Hicks

so +/- $300 sounds good?

17. BigE

BigE Forum Resident

I think one would consider themselves fortunate to unload these for $100/ pr. retail. I'd give her fifty bucks and hope I could sell them.

Ghostworld likes this.
  18. Scott Hicks

They are too nice to go that low in price.... the cabinets are very sturdy and look great.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  19. Scott Hicks

great picture that we have hanging up at the shop!

20. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Yes, I have heard those quite a bit also, pretty much the same strengths and weaknesses also. The horns were cool, and deep bass was nice, but they were both kinda limited power wise. It was as if the woofers were so low resonance or something they could not handle much power or really strong bass.

Nice smooth midrange, clear clean overall sound, but a slightly tubby bass. They had very little insulation back then in speakers, if you take the back off.

As far as price, hard to say, the controls and crossover caps will both need attention, and from my experience, the woofers tend to get "Weak" as far as bottoming goes when given much power.

A nice speaker for sure, but would not spend more than maybe $150.00. You can do better and avoid the old age issues.

21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

These speakers were designed when high efficiency was very necessary. Back then huge power amplifiers were expensive and uncommon.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's my thought, too.

"Low resonance ultra compact system" What does that mean, "No bass?" The best thing is definitely the cabs and grills. Very pretty. I'm sure someone not super fussy about sound and going more for a vintage visual would give you 75 bucks. I dunno. How high is the retro crazy anymore?

Scott Hicks likes this.
  23. Nordschleife

Nordschleife Active Member

Scott,

Would you please contact me regarding the EV Regal 300 speakers? I have one Regal 300 and would like to make up a 2+1 speaker system.

Best, Andy

24. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

A thread at AudioAsylum with a snap of one with the grille off:
    http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=hug&m=160744

Looks like a T-35 tweeter, 8" fullrange mid/woofer in its own enclosure and an accordian surround 12" woofer with a huge magnet (spec sheet says 5 lbs. of ceramic magnet - that's a whopping big magnet for a 12" driver). The T-35 is a high sensitivity horn tweeter, I imagine the sensitivity rating on those speakers is pretty high. The 35 watt rating is probably plenty to drive those to a fairly high spl, the woofer looks like it could use a bigger box (and probably a vented box at that - those accordian surrounds generally didn't have as long a throw as foam surrounds provided, but they were typically higher sensitivity and best matched to a ported/bass reflex cabinet).

25. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

I'd pick these up in a heartbeat. They are clean, and could be worth upward of $500.00 when restored to spec. These are highly efficient as mentioned above, do not require high power. They should produce enough acoustic power to rattle the windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.