Anybody here like 'Technical Ecstasy'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident Thread Starter

Decided to finally give this album a listen after initially being uninterested due to the backlash the album often seems to get but I'm actually pleasantly surprised. I don't think this is a bad Sabbath album at all! It really has some good music and the band sounds fine. Back Street Kids is a great opener, Dirty Women is an even better closer. You Won't Change Me is an excellent doomy track, and It's Alright is a pleasant ballad. Bill has quite a good voice. While I do prefer the 6 albums that came before it, overall I think Technical Ecstasy is a good album and I don't quite understand the backlash it's gotten over the years. If there's any reason, I think it would just be because the other 6 albums all seemed to be a step forward from the previous one and TE wasn't the same leap in quality as, say, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was to Volume 4.

Opinions?

2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

It is just OK with me in the scheme of Sabbath. I still listen to it but I like most of the albums that came before it and some that came after more. I still enjoy it though.

Hawklord and Erik Tracy like this.
  3. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

It's my least favorite of the original Ozzy albums but there are some great songs on it. If there's any backlash, I think it's just that it's not "Paranoid." Some people never forgive you for making albums that aren't exact carbon copies of a particular of the big classic.

4. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

I dig it. It's a bit different from SBS & Sabotage, but it's got some great tracks on it. Forward progression, indeed. It's not my favorite Black Sabbath album, but it's quite far from my least favorite. (Although I'm not sure I actually have a least favorite Sabbath album! :cheers:)

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I like "You Won't Change Me". That's all.

Purple and jon9091 like this.
  6. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist

Same here. I think Never Say Die, while no great album, is better than Technical Ecstasy, but it's still decent.

Purple and Mike Reynolds like this.
  7. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

Yep. Love it.

8. SizzleVonSizzleton

SizzleVonSizzleton The Last Yeti

Sabotage was the pinnacle. But the original lineup of Sabbath kept evolving and changing until the end of their 70's run. Now, Technical Ecstasy is certainly a step down (and so is Never Say Die) but it's just so admirable to me that when they ran out of gas they didn't try to retread old ground. In that light I really like to listen to TE and NSD.

Why they decided to keep changing while they were sinking instead of doing a remake of Paranoid or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is an interesting question.

9. Judge Judy

The songs are a little better than Technical Ecstasy. A little. Having said that, neither are bad albums. Just compared to Volume 4 (for example) there's no comparison. If another band had recorded those albums they'd certainly be on the same level as any of the better second-tier 70s metal bands.

Octowen, Fullbug and DrBeatle like this.
  10. zen

zen Senior Member

I've tried; but it screams burnout.

Purple, clhboa, rnranimal and 2 others like this.
  11. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Some of Tony's best guitar solos are on found on TE but Geezer's bass sounds so tame it's sort of a turnoff.

ian christopher likes this.
  12. motionoftheocean

it screams awesome record is what it screams

13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I love it. Tony rips the guitar. I like the last four Sabbath albums with Ozzy better than the first four.

14. Judge Judy

With good reason.

15. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

Exactly. And that is why I detest "13" so much - carbon copy cannibalism of their first three albums. Shameless and unpleasant IMO.

16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I like a few tracks on it, but really the only two tracks that I think are near-perfect are "She's Gone" and "Dirty Women." All of the other tracks I have some problems with, and a couple are just plain bad. Iommi does play brilliantly though, shore 'nuff.

moodyxadi and Octowen like this.
  17. Kill Uncle Meat

Kill Uncle Meat Forum Resident

I like it, 'Dirty Women' is one of my favorite Black Sabbath songs.

18. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Shameless maybe, but I still love it and play it often.

Octowen and Shak Cohen like this.
  19. motionoftheocean

it's an ok album but if it really was "carbon copy cannibalism" of the self-titled, Paranoid and Master of Reality, it would be a whole better than it was.

Octowen likes this.
  20. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

If Technical Ecstasy is "awesome", how do you describe Sabbath albums that are actually good :laugh:

21. motionoftheocean

every Sabbath record from the self-titled up to and including Mob Rules is great

22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

And Born Again, for me.

23. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

From my perspective, having boarding the Sabbath sonic assault since Paranoid, TE was on the downward side for an angst oozing teenager looking for the next album to grind teeth, spittle flying, with eyes of flame while shredding on the air guitar.

Even today with the soft forgiving perspective looking 'back' at the whole of their catalog - meh....it is typically passed over when perusing my collection - kinda like passing over a 'chick' Chardonnay that is always stocked, but then grabbing the go-to heavy/rich syrah.

Purple, Paulette and Crungy like this.
  24. motionoftheocean

I debated including it, and on some days I'd consider it right up there with the other stuff.

Brudy, ian christopher and Holy Diver like this.
  25. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I love it.

Fantastic album.

All the Ozzy and Dio albums are essential, imho.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.