Anybody here like 'Technical Ecstasy'?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bcaulf, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PooreBoy

PooreBoy Forum Resident

I've always though that Technical Ecstasy was under rated, or thought of as a sub par album for Black Sabbath but I love it. It got a lot if play on my old 8 track in my car when it was released.
    ;)

Svetonio likes this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

Mine too.

Sandinista likes this.
  3. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

So if I grab the 2016 remaster off Amazon, that will be the Pearce remaster? Actually the release date is 2016 but it states it’s the 2009 remaster.

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I like Technical Ecstasy.

Rick Robson likes this.
  5. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

Yes - it was confusing at the time - apparently, in 2009 SOME of the Sabbath reissues were NOT Pearce remasters (some were and are good imo) - IIRC TE and NSD were NOT Pearce remasters first go around - and they sounded pretty harsh.

When they got reissued in 2016 - some were, in fact, the 2009 remasters that were not originally released at the time so they got a 2016 tag - just going off memory here but I think thats the gist of it.

I don't have any of the early CD pressings that many here have - and many prefer to the Pearce remasters - so I'm excluding all of those from any comparison - but from the Black Box/Sanctuary reissues from the 90s - the Pearce remasters are easily my favorites .

6. erickana666

erickana666 Forum Resident

I really like TE and also Never say Die, i like under dogs albums. Sabbath bloody sabbath is my top 1 from the ozzy era and these 2 albums followed. I am big fan of the 80s and 90s sabbath albums but thats an other story...

Huntigula and John Bliss like this.
  7. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

I like all of the Ozzy era Sabbath albums definately including this one. And as others have stated
    even more so now with the Andy Pearce masterings.

John Bliss likes this.
  8. inperson

inperson Senior Member

It's okay but the cover is cool.

9. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

To these ears, Sabotage and Technical Ecstasy are two best Black Sabbath's albums.

10. Svetonio

Svetonio Forum Resident

One of the most beautiful Hipgnosis' artworks.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    John Bliss likes this.
  11. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I heard the whole thing for the first time last year.

I'd grade it only slightly lower than the first six albums. Sabbath developed their sound, rather than just standing still. And I love the cover.

But I rate Never Say Die! highly as well, so what do I know?

12. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Off NSD 'Air Dance' is one of my favourite tracks from Black Sabbath, followed by the good 'Over to You' (not a fave though). Air Dance amazes me for keeping the same unique Sabbath's freakin' dynamics albeit on a totally new and fresh atmosphere with regards to everything done before. One more example of the band's incredible eclecticism, which btw I find evident in almost every NSD track, not as such in TE though.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  13. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Wise words!

John Bliss and BluesOvertookMe like this.
  14. T-Bird

T-Bird Forum Resident

Saw the concert. Love all that original era.

15. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

This thread was very helpful in building my ignore list. Wow, some real ignorant statements by some that want to keep Black Sabbath in a box. This band created many wonderful albums throughout numerous decades.

Rick Robson, John Bliss and Todd W. like this.
  16. TY94

TY94 Member

I completely agree!

17. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

"Back Street Kids" comes blazing in and you can't hear Ozzy roaring out on top of everything?

Man, I don't know. Never heard this observation before, but if you play "She's Gone" and can't hear Ozzy's vocal, it's time to actually connect your speakers.

John Bliss likes this.
  18. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I like it

19. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I don't get how Tony could have said "We gotta sound like Foreigner" while making this record. Didn't they debut in 1977?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

So, I am reading this correctly when you say you would rate TE over the self-titled Black Sabbath album? Or am I reading this wrong? I don't really try to trample on people's opinion for many reasons, but I'm having a real hard time with this one. Also, the last 4 better than the absolute classic first 4? I can see an argument for SBS or Sabatoge but they would go 5 and 6 and the last two 7 and 8. But hey, it's just an opinion.

BGLeduc likes this.
  21. ronm

ronm audiofreak

This was one of my first Sabbath lps along with We Sold Our Souls...stationed in Germany in 1981.Everybody had a kick ass stereo in the barracks and Sabbath was very well represented.TE is a very good lp.I bought the CD about twenty years ago and the lp about ten years ago.Killer guitar work by Tony Iommi.Sabbath like Zeppelin did very good mellower songs(It's Alright) to go along with the heavy hitters.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
    John Bliss likes this.
  22. BluesOvertookMe

I love Geezer, but he's never been known to let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Rick Robson likes this.
  23. BluesOvertookMe

Also, if Foreigner made albums that sounded like Technical Ecstasy, I'd buy some!

Bananas&blow and John Bliss like this.
  24. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Yeah, and I think he just got his timeline wrong. My guess would be that it was around the time of formulating ideas for NSD that Tony was impressed by Foreigner.

25. Huntigula

Huntigula Idiot Savant

I'll give it to Geezer. If by "Foreigner" he meant "generic, slick, AOR, passes as filler music in WKRP in Cincinnati", then yeah, he's pretty dead on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.