Anybody here tape things off television when you were a (weird) little kid?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel Cairo, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

I loved that show. I saw the Pixies for the first time there. Jools Holland of Squeeze co-hosted at times as well. I'd love to see it on the air again.
    Dan C

2. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I had some kind of small battery powered reel to reel (3" reels?) with a detachable mic. I used to tape the theme music for a bunch of shows (you had to love "Hawaii Five-0" and the fisheye lens shot of that jet engine intake) but the recorder and the tapes are long gone. I just got a DVD burner and I'm starting to transfer a BUNCH of pre-MTV music videos that I'd stay up all night to tape on the weekends. Anybody remember "Night Flight" on WTBS?

dave

3. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I used to have a GE radio that had TV band for channels 2 - 13. I used to tape Midnight Special and Don Kirshners every week (in beautiful mono) using a patch cord to go from the earphone out to the aux input on my Panasonic cassette recorder. I still have a tape of the Cars on Midnight Special when they "hosted" the show. Great performance by Suicide on there..... where is that tape now??? I always taped all the big music shows.

4. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

How about the ledgendary DOORS performance on the ED SILLIVAN SHOW? (3 1/2 inch reel to reel)?

5. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

As long as you don't mention the Spanish Inquisition.

6. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

Jon:

I don't know if the network has got any plans for the clip, but **I** do...!! :D

-Kevin

...and BTW, if you want a bit of a nostalgia trip, try **this** link:

http://www.kingoftheroad.net/KARD_html/kard4.html

...that'l take you back, I'm sure!!

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Kevin,
    That was quite enjoyable! Thanks. Brought back great memories from years back.

8. HeavyDistortion

HeavyDistortion Senior Member

I can remember using a portable reel to reel tape deck to record the theme songs to TV shows such as "Secret Agent Man", "F Troop", "Get Smart", etc; using a little plastic microphone sitting on a small pillow to get close to the TV speaker. A few years later, I remember taping the audio of the entire WC Fields movie, "It's A Gift", which happens to be one of my all time favorite comedies.

HeavyDistortion

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Wow Joel, that was a trip! Thanks.
    Where did that website come from???

:-jon

10. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

In the seventies, I found that I could tune in the audio portion of the local NBC broadcast from WRC 4 in Washington at the low end of my tuner. I often would use this when watching a musical program. I didn't use it much for other types of programs because my TV was so small that even my tiny stereo seemed to overwhelm it. Then someone suggested to me that I could hook up a cassette recorder to my cheapo tuner's headphone jack and record the audio (no tape loop). I started using this to record the dialog and music from each week's episode of Saturday Night Live. I had a lot of these tapes at one time but the have been lost to time during several moves and "clean-up" campaigns. Besides within a few years the first beta machines appeared and I could see the future or so I thought.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.