Anybody like The Kinks?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Metoo, Apr 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jay

Jay New Member

Sarcasm, I'm guessing. :laugh:

2. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I love the Kinks. It's a shame they never got the full respect they deserve. Some of my favorite albums:

Lola vs. Powerman and the Moneygoround
    Muswell Hillbillies
    Sleepwalker
    Misfits
    Low Budget
    Something Else

3. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

like all 60's bands I prefer them with short hair - I ADORE every Kinks LP up to Arthur, and after that they get worse for me, the same with the Who up to Tommy, Stones up to Let it Bleed etc etc

obviously some of these bands had long hair but you get my drift.

once a mod , always a mod!
    Tim

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

He may have played on some albums up through that time - I'm too lazy to grab the CDs and check - but he didn't tour with them after 1983, I don't think. Pretty sure he was gone by the 1984-85 shows. I could check that too, but again - really lazy!

Really? They weren't even original members...

5. Steve E.

Steve E. Doc Wurly and Chief Lathe Troll

I know. In fact, I'm a rather massively obsessive Kinks fan, at least through their 60's output and including some of their 80's stuff, too. I was winking inside.

That said, in fact, I think "Destroyer" DOES reference "Hello I Love You," a ripoff which had always irked Ray. They play the "You Really Got Me" riff but with a dorky keyboard part that seems to be a parody of the Doors.

I was joking about Van Halen, too.

6. Misery_loves..

Misery_loves.. Forum Resident

I know someone who is a huge Kinks fan, and laments the fact that they are not more popular and respected here in the USA, and believes that they should be regarded as equal to, or better, than the iconic rock bands: Beatles, Stones, Who, Zeppelin, etc.

My take on this is that the Kinks are too whimsical, genteel and baroque to be embraced to the same degree as those other bands were. They don't project the same kind of sexy swagger, sense of danger or monolithic power as those bands did.

Additionally, there are just some bands that do not translate well to the states. Whether it has to do with having too obvious of an English accent or subject matter that is "too British", I'm not entirely clear, but, it's clear to me that there is some resistance along these lines. The Kinks are but one of a long line of British bands who have been very popular in Great Britain, but have sold poorly in this country. The Jam, Pulp and Blur are three other bands which spring immediately to mind. These bands had (in the case of the now defunct Jam) or have vocalists with strong accents and a healthy percentage of songs which discussed issues more specific or relatable to their own country.

7. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I'm sorry, the majority of the post pye era Kinks material i've heard is incredibly weak. I bought 'Muswell Hillbillies' and have never understood why it's so praised.

Hoping things would get better, I bought 'Misfits', 'Low Budget', 'Give the People what they want' and 'Word of Mouth'. Aside from the odd track, there's nothing that can compare to Ray's 60's work. Ray was a genius, but for me his reign ended in 1971.

8. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

I kinda feel the same way. For me, nothing surpasses the Face to Face-Lola/Kinks Kronikles period in Kinks history. And I've tried to like Muswell Hillbillies and the Preservation albums.

9. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I agree with your friend. I find it strange that Mojo magazine features the Beatles on their cover every other month, but has never once put the Kinks (or the Byrds) on the cover.

The Kinks had their whimsical side, but they were certainly capable of "monolithic power." Listen to You Really Got Me and then listen to any other track from 1964. No one, not the Beatles, not the Stones, not the Yardbirds, were recording tracks remotely that heavy at the time.

10. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

here here - I think it's an "across the water" thing. The Kinks concentrated on the US from early 70's as they could again be allowed to play there- they were banned in the 60's for some daft reason. Upto Lola, UK band, post Lola US band.

it amazes me that bands like the jam , supergrass, blur etc didn't make it in the US but U2 and to a certain extent Oasis did.

Mind you the UK didn't buy many copies of Matthew Sweets WONDERFUL Girlfriend.

Tim

11. reechie

reechie Senior Member

To this day, if I want to listen to The Kinks in the car, or take some Kinks music on a trip, I reach for Kink Kronikles, more than any of their individual albums. Most all of my favorites are on that compilation, and it's truly THE album from The Kinks for me.

I only got to see the latter day Kinks three times in the 80's, but I'm glad to say, I got to see Mick Avory's last tour with the band behind the State Of Confusion album.

12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

The best of the Kinks material will always stand up near the top of rock music and it's history - thay are undeniably great and left a huge influence on later musicians to say the least. As I mentioned in a post, a lot of people that are too young to experience them first hand really like them - their pre-'71 stuff mainly. In the used CD stores here their classic titles don't stay in the bins very long. Their problem with later album sales is their post-71 material just doesn't rock very hard - right when (at least in the US) harder rock acts were becoming the rage. The Kinks have great lyrical content to their music that flat shuts down 'bigger' groups like the Stones. I completely understand why some fans like Muswell Hillbillies, the Preservation series, and so on. I like those to the extent I listen to traditional folk music, not very often but good to have it there. The Village Green Preservation Society is one of my top-twenty favorite albums and one of the greatest albums of the late 60's IMO - a really refreshing contrast in perspective from other great bands I like of the period: Country Joe & The Fish, Hendrix, The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, The Who, etc. Almost like an English version of country music (lyrically only!). Their late 70's 're-emergence' was kind of odd at the time. Still great songs but SO different. Not sure I could compare them to Oasis or U2 though, (both of whom I listen too also) Thats kinda like comparing a ham sandwich to breakfast ham. Similar, but...

13. Misery_loves..

Yes, that's true, and this has been stated before (I mean in the general music press, not in this thread, per se). However, I think you had to be in your teens or twenties during that time period to really appreciate that notion. By the time the music of the late 60's/early 70's rolled around, those early Kinks riffs were rendered relatively tame by comparison. Things got a lot heavier. This is particularly true for anyone born & raised in the mid-60's and beyond, who didn't have the initial experience of hearing that sort of heavier guitar sound as a new concept.

A similar example is the attitude that many people in their mid-30's and younger have about the Beatles. They don't necessarily see what was so unique or special about the Beatles, and think that they are way overrated (and believe me, there are a lot of them). In both examples, it's difficult to appreciate originality when it's been borrowed and expanded upon so much.

14. Misery_loves..

I saw this post only after I posted my last comments. I think the text I've highlighted dovetails nicely with the point I was making there.

I'm not sure I agree with the lyrical jab at the Stones though. Stones wrote many great songs, lyrically. I will always hold them in greater esteem than, for example, Led Zeppelin, a band with a huge sound and great musicians, but marginal songwriting skills (relatively speaking).

The Kinks had many great lyrical songs, but there are also many that I think are rather generic or unremarkable. Same comment could apply the the Stones. It's probably a wash objectively, but between the two, I have a preference for the songwriting of the Stones.

15. Raunchnroll

Like everything that has its 'time' - whether the electric telegraph, the Beatles, or a '57 Chevy - the masses will eventually misjudge, misinterpret, and live unaware of the significance of true originality or creativity, leaving that to be appreciated only by select people who see beyond the immediacy of their own lives. The arts and music have always been infused with those who hear a different drum - thats why we are all here on the Hoffman forum for example. Out of all the CD buyers out there, how many really care about the sound of the music to the degree we do? Lets face it, most of humanity is primarily interested in sweetened, fattened food, easy freeway access, blatant sexuality without any subtlety, flash action movies, and so on. Even my good friend used to think 'Baywatch' was a thought provoking and intricate TV show :( and would prefer to watch it over any classic movie made prior to the current day.
    If a heavier sound is the yardstick to measure the dating of rock music we're all in trouble. It has slowly grown in intensity to the point that it all sounds the same and everyone is becoming a parody of themselves. When Danzig II - Lucifuge came out it was a dark, brooding heavy rocker, and I loved it (still do) but how many times can a guy exort darkness and satan without it becoming shtick? Maybe one album. I remember how hard core and heavy BoltThrower sounded in the late 80's - now even they have been surpassed by copy cats doing the 'devil with his nuts in a vice' vocals. Know what? Its so one dimensional even in that sub-genre the younger crowd has forgotton the pioneers of the sound. A while ago after a little Celtic music fest at a local pub, we were standing outside as a rockabilly show (which I am a fan of) finished up the street. Out came all the people done up in full caricature stereotype of the '50's bad guy and bad gal. One of the musicians stood up from loading the van and said "What is this? You'd think it was Halloween or something." So I have hope when my oldest son (a musician) has become a Buddy Holly and Kinks fan - he loves their knack for putting together concise, structured pop music with brains. The Kinks ARE refreshing when considering the relentless & overt sexual and drug themes that have been so a part of rock music. There is a lot more to life than mere visceral fun. 'Animal Farm' anyone? There will always be the brainless manufactured pop crap that sells millions while the truly innovative artist struggles to make it - but welcome to the modern world. They won't be forgotten, its just that they won't be 'popular' forever - no matter how good they are. Has anyone here visited a Stephen Foster fan website lately?

16. Raunchnroll

I appreciate what you're saying - I love the Stones music almost as much as the Kinks. Wild Horses for example is as beautiful as any Kinks song IMO. I wasn't meaning to 'dis the Stones exactly. What I meant to convey is that they are very different from the Kinks. The Stones, more than any other major act, created the image of the swaggering, drug using, groupie swamped rock stars. Not that most groups didn't 'indulge,' its just that groups like the Stones made that lifestyle a strong point of their sound and their image. They were bad boys! And obviously they were very true to the ideals of rock and roll and youth. As I mentioned about album sales, the Stones kept up a rocking pace into the 70's, whereas the Kinks retreated to more introspective and folkish themes. Objectively, that was probably bad for sheer album sales, but it has no bearing on their artistic relativity or contribution to music. Thankfully, groups like the Kinks left us more than the bravado and in your face party rock that was (and is and will be) the mainstream.

17. Misery_loves..

you mean to tell me that you do not see the existential subtext hidden within the broad themes of the show? There's a good reason Germans love our David Hasselhoff. ;)

as for the bulk of your post, we can mostly agree.

I think the more unique or idiosyncratic the artist, the more difficult it is to gain an entry point to enjoyment and appreciation. It can take a little more time and effort to get there. Because not everyone can or are willing to go there, many of those artists will continue to fly under the radar of popular culture.

Evidently, you are unfamiliar with the recent and ongoing spate of 'rockist' vs. 'non-rockist' debates. If so, be thankful. Be VERY thankful!

fake edit: I LOVE 'Animal Farm'! I'm not always the biggest fan of R. Davies voice, but I absolutely love it here.

18. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Perhaps it my age, but I absolutely loved the Kinks in the 60's. They had quite a string of hits starting in 1964. My favorites were:

You Really Got Me
    All Day And All Of The Night
    Tired Of Waiting
    Set Me Free
    Who'll Be The Next In Line
    A Well Respected Man
    Till The End Of The Day
    Dedicated Follower Of Fashion
    Sunny Afternoon
    Victoria
    Lola
    Apeman

I kind of lost them after that. They were the first band I remember to use 'power chords', which of course opened the floodgates for many bands to come. I did do a show with them in 1976 with the Pretty Things, but they seemed to be way removed from their past. It was still pretty cool sitting on the side of the stage watching them do some of their old hits.

[​IMG]

19. Misery_loves..

how prescient of you to know that this pass would come in handy again one day. :D

20. Jay

Jay New Member

Not for this American. :shake: I bought every Kinks album through SOAP OPERA.

21. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

:laugh: I just scanned my old stage passes this weekend. I'm still a Photoshop novice, so that's my excuse for why it's too big. :D

Edit: OK that a bit better.

22. Misery_loves..

oh, alright. I'll resist mocking you for it (i.e., sizing). :D

23. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

I have that! One of my early purchases before I started getting all the actual albums. It's at my parents house with the rest of my vinyl. Haven't looked at it since college (I'm 36) and I think I can still remember the title. I believe it's called:

Lola, Percy and the Apeman come Face to Face with the Village Green Preservation Society - Something Else!

(Without cheating :D (almost forgot the last part) - maybe not complete though: why does Arthur get overlooked? One of the best album titles ever.)

EDIT: Got myself curious. Interesting google tidbit about this from a customer review somewhere (I love the net):

"In Europe in the 1970s this budget double LP with two hours running time was the only way to get the songs of the albums Face To Face, Something Else and VGPS which were all out of print until the beginning of the 1980s. And you nearly got them ALL - except "Sunny Afternoon", "Waterloo Sunset" and "Animal Farm" which were on Golden Hour Vol. 1, and "Fancy" and "I'll Remember" from F2F and "Monica" from VGPS. In addition there were the singles "Lola" and "Apeman" and the best five songs from Percy on it."

24. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Wise words. This is why it is so hard for some people to watch "daring" movies of the past and come away with anything; it's all been done to death over and over again that the true originals don't even make us grunt anymore. Heck, when I heard Chuck Berry's ROLL OVER BEETHOVEN for the first time when I was 10 I was disappointed after hearing the Beatles uptempo version so many times. Somehow I expected more. It wasn't until I surrounded myself with everything else that was played on the radio at that same time did I start to have an appreciation of just how radical and rocking that song must have seemed to the teens of that era..

25. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This has been noted by many others, but a good way to cure someone of this misperception of the Beatles is to show them the unedited Ed Sullivan appearances, with the jugglers, tightrope walkers, "comedians," and other entertainment. The Fab Four truly do appear to have just been beamed down from Mars in this context.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.