Anybody recall Frank Zappa?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian J, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian J

Brian J Forum Resident Thread Starter

I sure do.

10 years ago, one of my favourite musicians joined the "great gig in the sky"

Hope you all are spinnin' some, for Frank.

2. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Kinda hard to choose...was always fond of ABSOLUTELY FREE, for no real reason.....maybe "Status Back Baby" did it for me....always like his bad attitude, though I found some of his more adventurous music, starting with LUMPY GRAVY, somewhat maddening. But a real gadfly and moral conscience, and he understood what being an American was all about. I've read a few books about him, and he was sure an intelligent, fascinating cat. One of the last interviews he gave was for Playboy, in fact, and as usual, he was his same old snarky self, even while he knew he was dying at the time.

R.I.P., FZ!

ED:cool:

3. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member

"Dog Breath in the Year of the Plague" was playing in my head from Uncle Meat for much of this afternoon, even though I haven't heard that excellent album (possibly my favorite Zappa) in years. Spooky.

4. GregM

GregM The expanding man

If my amp didn't just blow up last night I'd be playing Zoot Allures right about now. :(

5. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

I actually just re-downloaded the WOIIFTM acetate from sharingthegroove.org...I haven't played it in years, and some guy had a better version than I'm used to. I have a half-finished "Only Money" FAQ lying around at home that I never worked up the energy to complete. His catalogue is, of course, variation hell.

6. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Doing that just right now: Roxy & Eslewhere.

Matti

7. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame

I haven't spun any Zappa recently (not that I have much by him), but I must say WOIIFTM blew me away like few records did when I first heard it. On headphones. Again and again and again.

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Some may not have liked his delivery style, especially towards the late 70s, but he had a very keen awareness of what our society was all about and what made us tick.

9. I'm with Ed.....Absolutely free is playing now.....:thumbsup:

10. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

-Father I'm glad you're here . . . I want you to hear this . . . I have a confession to make, you know?
    -Well, spit it out, son!
    -Ee-el-eel-el-el-ell-LÄTHER . . .
    -Well, don't be ashamed.

:)

11. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

So now playing: Läther disc 1

Matti

12. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Love the Halloween DVD-A. Gonna have to give that a spin for FZ.

A true genius

13. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Läther disc 2 playing now.

Matti

14. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

And now Läther disc 3

Matti

15. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

There is no such thing as too many notes, but listening to Läther all the way through may leave you feeling dizzy. Go for it, Matti! :thumbsup:

16. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Just a genius. That really early stuff, "Free," "Money(my personal favorite)," and a bunch of others. Really miss both his music and his personality.

17. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

This is a great record, IMO. Always have liked it and most certainly will listen all the way trough it, since I haven't listened to FZ for a while. Not that many notes left anymore. :D

Thanks for the encouragement.

Matti

18. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

Matti

19. Rspaight

Rspaight New Member

Found a cut-out of the Ryko "Strictly Commercial" comp on vinyl a few days ago and played that last night.

My favorite Zappa moment might just be the opening salvo of "Heavy Duty Judy/Ring Of Fire/Cosmik Debris" from The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life.

We miss ya, Frank.

Ryan

20. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Love is not music.
    Music (and Frank Zappa) is the best.

Listening to Frank in college totally opened my eyes to what music composition and presentation can be. Granted, I don't like everything (some of the Flo & Eddie material is a bit too grating and I admit to not being able to appreciate some of his orchestral music), but most of it totally does it for me more than any other music.

I have over 60 FZ CDs, but here's a quick list of my faves:

1. Lather
    2. Joe's Garage
    3. Roxy & Elsewhere
    4. One Size Fits All
    5. Uncle Meat
    6. Hot Rats
    7. Overnite Sensation
    8. You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol 2
    8. Them Or Us
    9. Weasels Ripped My Flesh
    10. Live in NY

21. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Well, I have only 54 FZ cds, but that list is pretty close to mine too. Still I would add at least Grand Wazoo, Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar and WAOIIFTM.

BTW, YCDTOSA vol. 2 has been recorded in this country :cool: . Good show.

Matti

22. Rick B.

Rick B. Senior Member

If you want a real challenging Zappa album to listen to, try The Yellow Shark. It's a 2-disc release from a series of concerts put on in Europe of Frank's instrumental music.

Frank was not that involved in the performances - he directs a couple numbers, but the musicians were really well rehearsed. This is very modern, clasically-oriented music, and one of his last releases.

23. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

I like Yellow Shark a lot, it's very well recorded. Mine is a single disc, though.

24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Call me a sick bastard but I'm a huge fan of Frank's "comedy music" as the guy in 200 MOTELS would say. JUST ANOTHER BAND FROM L.A., FILLMORE EAST 1971 and especially SHEIK YERBOUTI always bring a smile to my face. So over the top...my wife hates Zappa and actually will leave the house if I put it on when she's around (not that I do at this point).

25. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I Love that stuff too, especially the Live In New York album. Luckily my wife likes Frank (as long as the kids aren't there to hear it), too. In fact one of our early dates was to see Frank back in 1980 and once or twice after we were married.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.