Anybody recall Frank Zappa?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Brian J, Dec 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

I like the funny stuff too. His parodies are nuts. "I Have Been In You" is hilarious. So is Flakes, where Adrian Belew's Dylan impersonation is perfected with mindless harmonica fills.

"I'm a ***** and this is my wife..." :laugh:

2. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

In that category you could try Civilization Phase III too. Me also think that The Yellow Shark is very good album.

Matti

3. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

"Flakes" is a major epic. And some of the rhymes...good Lord!

Well, the toilet went crazy
    Yersterday afternoon
    The plumber he says
    Never flush a tampoon!
    This great information
    Cost me half a week’s pay
    And the toilet blew up
    Later on the next day

4. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

We are in the same boat my friend. My wife doesn't like FZ either, but I use quite often headphones when listening his music. There is no reason to scare her away :laugh:.

Matti

5. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Which reminds me, I believe the incredible Baby Snakes either is just about to, or has already been released on DVD. Haven't seen it in years, that one really sold me on Zappa. I sat slack-jawed one lonely Friday night in the 80's watching that. Must find a copy now that it's out again.

In the meantime, I think I'll at least give "My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama" a spin when I get home tonight.

6. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

It should be out very soon, but I was unable to check that from FZ web site now. It was only playing Waffenspiel from Civilization Phase III and I couldn't pass it. Well, maybe I should listen to CPIII instead, haven't done that for ages.

Matti

7. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I got to see "The Yellow Shark" when it was played at the Berlin Philharmonic. It was amazing. Unfornunately Frank got sick the day before and had to go back to LA. Moon Zappa was there and read a letter from her father to the audience, saying he was sorry he couldn't be there. I also saw him in the late 70's a very memorable show with fantastic sound.

which cd issues are the best sounding of his catalog?

8. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

You must be a happy man. Frank was a frequent visitor here during 70's, but never seen him live. I was too young then (and didn't live in Helsinki). Last time he was here in 1988, but wasn't so much into him then, so I missed that one too. :(

At least to my ears some of his late 60's and early 70's cds are best sounding: f.ex. Hot Rats, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Grand Wazoo, One Size Fits All. Yes and The Yellow Shark too.

I am not completely happy, though, with the overall sound quality of this latest Ryko batch.

Matti

9. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Amazon says this Tuesday (Dec. 9). Does Humor Belong In Music? is due later this month as well.

10. Matti Saari

Matti Saari Senior Finn

Just checked Amazon (US) also. Yes they are out as you said.

BTW, Does Humour Belong In Music is (according Amazon UK) out in Europe and it is region 0 version of it. Release date for Baby Snakes (also region 0) seems to be December 8.

Matti

11. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

Though I said earlier I have trouble with his orchestral music, I love Yellow Shark. What a difference when the musicians genuinely care about the music (as opposed to the London Symph Orch sessions).

I like the comedy stuff as much as the next guy, I just think some of the Flo & Eddie stuff is too much, sacrificing music for lame self-referential groupie humor. I don't even own 200 Motels (movie or soundtrack), Just Another Band From LA, or Playground Psychotics. I do still have the Fillmore CD because it's the first Zappa I ever bought, but it doesn't get much play.

Flakes is more my kind of thing.

Joe's Garage is easily one of my favorite works of all time. Musically it's just phenomenal, and even the lyrics are more crafty than it seems on the surface. Fembot In A Wet T-Shirt is typical genius + sillyness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.