Anybody see Tommy Lee Jones' The Homesman?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Nov 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Got a great review here.
    Hillary Swank is almost always solid (unless it's a comedy), and Jones got a slew of great names to appear in brief roles.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

4. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

just watched it today, a very pure and well written film, a bit slow at first but a really good ending and terrific showcase for TLJ fans.

5. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

Saw it a couple of weeks ago, pretty good.

6. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

Great movie!. Reminded me a bit of the Jeff Bridges version of True Grit.

I started getting into western after seeing the Unforgiven 20 years ago. They don't make many westerns these days this is really good.

7. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

I liked it. I was surprised by what happened about 3/4 into the movie, it made me sad.
    Hillary Swank for me, is one of the best actors out there, so is Tommy Lee.

alexpop and Coricama like this.
  8. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I saw it and loved it! I love westerns and TLJ is always great in a cowboy role. "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" is another good one if you like TLJ. The other good modern day western I saw recently is "A Night in Old Mexico" with Robert Duvall.

smilin ed, Texastoyz and Larry Mc like this.
  9. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Rented this from Netflix last week enjoyed it.

10. The Panda

Seconded. An excellent flick.

Coricama likes this.
  11. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just watched it brilliant.
    Tommy Lee Jones is a great director.
    No sentimental mush with this artist's brush stroke. TLJ who also starred reminded me of Lee Marvin a bit at the start of the film.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  12. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Though overall a fine film IMO, I found the tragic event that occurred 3/4 of the way in just too much of a "jump the shark" moment for me. My wife and I just didn't buy that that character would so abruptly act as they did.

smilin ed likes this.
  13. alexpop

Yes! It was initially off putting, haven't read the book. A bit of story line tweaking could have given the film a bit more of a commercial success.

14. alexpop

Tommy Lee Jones next directorial film is a remake of The Cowboys( that's right the old John Wayne western).

15. The Panda

hmmmmmm

16. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Some comments I wrote about a year ago when I saw the film:

About a decade ago, my brother and I drove from South Dakota to Dallas. Those two days felt like some of the longest of my life. Crossing the Great Plains is like being on the ocean - in every direction the endless space renders you motionless no matter how fast you travel, like one of those dream where you can't outrun the monster for being stuck in mud.

And we had the benefit of mile markers and cities along the way. I can't begin to imagine what it was like for the pioneers who entered this land. The Homesman asks the same questions: Can you make a home in this wasteland while retaining your sanity? More specifically, how does the pioneer life affect women? And what happens when you lose your sanity in the middle of nowhere?

Tommy Lee Jones's film is beautiful to look at, with the landscape providing the third lead character alongside superb performances by Swank and Jones himself. The final product leaves me wanting, though. Maybe it's because aside from one particularly shocking moment, everything feels predictable.

And maybe it's because I made the mistake of watching the special features afterwards, which consisted of interviews from everyone involved. The picture doesn't feel as groundbreaking as they believe it to be, and Jones's constant need to distance himself from the "Western" genre annoyed me.

Swank and Jones are both terrific, though, and as I said, the film looks amazing.​

budwhite, Gumboo and alexpop like this.
  17. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I thought it a solid Western (and it is a Western) but nothing special. In fact I wasn't sure I had seen it till reading through the thread as a reminder.

18. alexpop

I'd welcome more pioneer films ala James Stewart in How The West Was Won. Lewis Clark expedition, real pioneer stuff. Centennial springs to mind. Tommy Lee Jones would be great if he was involved.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    budwhite likes this.
  19. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

Absolutely. I'd also like to see the pioneer experience from a female perspective - those were some tough women! 'Meek's Cutoff' explored this terrain but I'd like to see a mainstream movie taking it on.

20. alexpop

Westward The Women
    must have been one of the first films to explore this.

harmonica98 likes this.
  21. alexpop

The Homesman.
    Tommy Lee Jones performance reminded me of Lee Marvin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.