Anybody using gear 30+ year old that hasn't been restored?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sberger, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream Thread Starter

Posted this in a couple of other forums and it's gotten good response so thought I'd give it a try here.

This thread isn't necessarily for debate or argument, and certainly no nastiness. We know that the prevailing(and mostly right) opinion is that old gear should be restored. That said, I know that some of us haven't heeded the call for various reasons and I'm one of them. So I'd like to know what you're using, and why it hasn't been restored. Not talking about mods, just regular restoration where the gear is brought back to it's original specs. I"ll go first. I'm using KLH Model Six speakers all original. Will be redoping this week when the stuff comes in, and do plan to get them recapped, but they sound so good right now I just haven't been in a hurry.

Who's next?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Sure, 57-52 year old gear.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  3. WadeB

WadeB Forum Resident

I have a Marantz 2230, so it is is almost as old as I am. I got it second hand, and I don't think a single thing has been touched on it other than me hitting the volume and balance pots with some deoxit. It has one light out and needs a new power button. I'm probably living on borrowed time with it, so restoration may be in the near future. For now, it sounds great.

4. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Most of my older stuff has been recapped etc. but I have a few pieces that have not had more done than repair any issues and get them nicely clean. Onkyo TX-4500 MkII is all original except some bulbs switched to LEDs. Technics SA-700 is original down to the bulbs, just cleaned the controls. Sansui AU-D607 is completely original. Yamaha CA-1000 had a couple minor issues when I received it and they were repaired, otherwise original as well. Everything else in the place has had the full treatment, one piece at a time. Oh yeah, the Williamson-design tube amp and pre my father built in the 40s are still both all original and still up to spec. I'm not sure I've ever even had to clean the pots on the pre, actually.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  5. smctigue

smctigue Forum Resident

ARC SP10 & D70 - both turned 30 a couple of years ago. Both running and sounding great.

6. sberger

Care to expound on what, and why you haven't had it restored?

7. blakep

blakep Senior Member

I have an Audiolab 8000A here in a secondary system manufactured in the early to mid 80's and purchased used in the late 80's in use here that's never been touched and still sounds good for what it is although the phono stage on it has crapped out. Has been on 24/7 for most of its life which I think has contributed to its longevity.

My table and speakers are similar vintage but they've both had some very minor work/restoration.

8. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Oh yeah, 2 turntables, an amp, several pairs of speakers, some slightly modified, some straight up stock. 30 years back is 1984, that sounds about right.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  9. Nate

Nate Forum Resident

My ears are 50 plus years old. They have not needed to be repaired or updated. Wish I could say the same for other parts of me.

My Zerostat is from the mid 80's- works perfectly.

Tim 2, papatwo, ggergm and 2 others like this.
  10. sberger

So are the people who've replied(and those that haven't yet) not restoring because they don't feel it's necessary, don't know how and/or can't find somebody to do it, or don't feel it's worth it? I know that generally I only buy tube stuff that is already restored, but solid state gear I'm not as picky. Same with speakers. I don't have the skills to restore on my own so if I'm going to buy it I want to be able to use it without worrying that it's going to blow up.

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A pair of Jensen LS3 speakers I bought brand new from a dealer in 1978.
    Never restored, because I'd never heard of such a thing until now.
    See no need, since they still kick the proverbial ass.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  12. Ntotrar

Ntotrar Forum Resident

Yes! Sansui Classique 250. Unrestored, liquid midrange.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    ether-bored and Old Rusty like this.
  13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Cheap, mostly. I have a Scott 299B, need to restore it.

14. RogerB

RogerB Forum Resident

I have four Marantz receivers from the 1970's: 2216, 2218, 2220B & 2235B.

Bought them all on ebay. The only thing I have done to them is replace all the lamps on the 2216 & 2235B.

I use the 2218 & 2235B in my bedroom. The 2216 is used as a tuner only in my main system. (Marantz PM7001 integrated
    amp and SA8001 sacd player)

I know they would all benefit from replacing the caps. I have been reading up over at the AudioKarma sight on how to do
    it and what parts to use. Lots of people there willing to help out . Once I get up to snuff with my soldering skills I plan
    to dive in and have some fun!!!

Brudy likes this.
  15. sberger

Your braver than me. Wouldn't use any tube amp that wasn't restored, although I have tube tuners from Fisher and Sherwood that I use regularly and are bone stock.

16. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I've had my Kliptch KG4's for 30 years. They still sound great.

betweentheears likes this.
  17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

18. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

No, seriously, I need to restore it, it gave out on me. Until it gave out, the best sounding amp I've ever owned.

Brian Witter likes this.
  19. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I have a Dynaco PAT - 4 an Dynaco Stereo 120. Everything works so there is no reason to restore.

The sound quality is not that great, however. Now if I had a Pas - 3, it might be different story!

20. 762rob

762rob Forum Resident

1963 Empire 398 and Fisher 800C pictured here "maintained" but not "restored"

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Be careful with the capacitors you choose to use!

22. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I intend to send it to N.O.S. tubes when the money comes.

Gary and Fiddlefye like this.
  23. billh

billh Senior Member

I'm still using JBL L-100 speakers that I bought in 1973. I had to replace the foam grille covers about 25 years ago but haven't done anything else to them. They still sound OK to me. I hope they last until I die.

24. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

If I were you, I'd change any Frako caps inside of those units pronto! Frakos are infamous for failing short, and my SP8 contained a couple of those prior to my I swapping them out.

25. sberger

How do you maintain the 800C?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.