Anybody using gear 30+ year old that hasn't been restored?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by sberger, Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

This doesn't even qualify as low-end, but I use (with my TV set) a pair of Philips speakers bought in 1969 with a JVC amplifier bought in 1984 and all items are going strong.
    (One of them will probably die on me after posting this.)

snowman872 likes this.
  2. slowhand1964

slowhand1964 A Tadpole in a Jar

Yes, my main amp is my Pioneer SX-850 bought in 1977. With the exception of replacing the AC protector fuse, it has never been serviced. Still rocks after 37 years of use, however she shows her age cosmetically and with scratchy pots.

389 Tripower likes this.
  3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I'm still using vintage gear and much of it has not been restored, per se.

That said I did do serious mods to each and every piece in my system at one time or another, but...

My main speakers were bought in 1976. I improved them considerably within the first year and since then have done nothing other than to re-edge the woofers.
    One interesting thing which I'll never fully understand is that I used to blow tweeters all the time, at least once a month. They wouldn't blow open, but they would overheat and the voice coils would go slightly out of round creating sympathetic vibrations that would only bark when trying to reproduce certain frequencies. Since my last amp rebuild around 1983 I have not blown a single one. Go figure.

My main amp, is from the early 80s and since seriously modding it (1983 again) it's pretty much been untouched since. If I put my ear up to the speakers with high gain, the hiss is silky smooth with no noticeable hum or any other nasties.

My turntable is from 1977 (bought from Ray Kimber) and it's not changed much since other than for the carts.

My digital front end is obviously newer, but for the most part the system sounds like it did back in the 70s, and that's not so shabby.

This is my main rig. I've got many pieces of vintage gear here and some of it goes back to the 50s and early 60s.

Gasman1003 likes this.
  4. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

My HH Scott 299-C intergrated amplifier is pretty much virgin. Back in 1985, I got it for free from an old man that hoarded and repaired electronics in his basement. He was not able to fix one of my Dad's old amps, so he just gave me the Scott unit and said "This ought to take care of your problems".

This was my main amp through my college years, and it still has 3 of the original Scott 7591 and all of the Telefunken 12AX7 tubes. My roommate used to call it the "Heat Pump". I broke one of the original 7591's by dropping a tool or somethig on the amp back in the early 90's. I did replace all 4 of them with NOS Amprex units back then, which are in it now. I've used it on and off over the years, and it is still in perfect working condition.

I have it mothballed for now, so I can do a re-cap & power supply refurb over the winter, if I can get around to it. I know its on borrowed time, and I do not want to take out a transformer. I eventually want this to be my main amp for playing records. So I guess it's not being used at the moment, but I have had it out a few times recently.

5. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Oh you have one of those newer Crown amps. :) I have a D-40 here that I still use at times in my shop system. It's not pretty by any means but it works well.

6. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I have a lot of gear in that age range.
    •B&O 4002 turntable. I think the sale was made in 1981; went into production in 1974. (Full disclosure: I have two of these, and one has been worked on, while the second has not.)
    •Altec A8 loudspeakers from 1968
    •Klipsch Heresy II loudspeakers, early '80s
    •Sansui G5700 receiver (1982????)
    •BGW 750 and 750a amplifiers

Heck, my main CD player is 22 years old, and going strong, aside from a tray that sticks upon opening sometimes, and my Sennheiser HD650 headphones are on year 21.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

My main integrated amp is a 1979 Hitachi.

Old Rusty likes this.
  8. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

And they don't sound as good.

gregorya likes this.
  9. 4_everyman

4_everyman The Sexual Intellectual

I'm still using this monster (Pioneer SX-5590) on a near-daily basis...

[​IMG]

Jrr, snowman872, slowhand1964 and 3 others like this.
  10. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I have a Voice of Music console record player from 1959 that is still running strong...both the amplifier and the turntable are original and have had no restoration (other than a new cartridge and a little lubrciation). The amplifier is tube-rectified and the circuitry is so darn simple, so that's probably why it's still running. I rarely use it...just running it a few times a year to keep it exercised. (When stuff sits unused for too long, that seems to bring on problems.)

I've been meaning to get it re-capped someday, but other things seem to get in the way. At the first sign of trouble, I'll restore it.

snowman872 and EasterEverywhere like this.
  11. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

My TT is a Technics SL-D2. Built in 1979. Everything still works including the auto return.

12. chirhonix

chirhonix Forum Resident

I use a Thorens TD320, only changed the belt and the spindle oil.

13. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

My Thorens needed a little work,as it had sat unused for nearly fifty years.Often the amount of work needed on this older gear is minimal.

14. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

My Scotts still have all the original Scott branded tubes.Who made these tubes for Scott? I love my X-101,but I have been wanting to try the LK-48.I have been worried about running it for a while,because it has never been worked on.If the amp works,would it be OK to put the Scott into full time service,if it has never been worked on?

389 Tripower likes this.
  15. DaveyF

DaveyF Forum Resident

My ARC D70Mk2 is now about 30+ years old. Completely stock, down to the hard-wired power cord.
    She's ( are amps female...??) still kicking --- on several other highly touted amps that have come and visited:wantsome:.
    WZJ got it VERY right when he came out with this amp..IMHO.

16. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

I assume so, that's why my wife gets upset if I spend too much time with her (the amp, that is..) ;)

gojira likes this.
  17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

All Sansui:

1970 spkrs (4 pair - 2 pair sound fine. 3rd pair: one cab needs an impossible to find woofer. That's what happens when you get 'really rare' speakers. 4th pair needs restoration.)

1980: TT (new gold leads), NOS cart, NOS cables, NOS TT rack, tuner (tuner not restored but all 'tuned up' and 2 parts replaced.)

1987 amp (not even touching it!)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  18. Peacekeepr73

Peacekeepr73 Digitally Remastered Member

My Sansui SR-2050C purchased from Electronic Sound of Grand Rapids in 1974 is still running strong today at 40 years of age without any more than a yearly cleaning. I've had it for about 5-6 years and I'm only 23 myself. It looks and sounds fantastic with the Ortofom 2M Red I have for it.

Old Rusty and bluesky like this.
  19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I've got an unrestored Denon DP-37F turntable from circa 1982 that runs like a champ.

snowman872 and Old Rusty like this.
  20. 389 Tripower

389 Tripower Just a little south of Moline

- Scott Branded Tubes?
    I think it was Westinghouse, IIRC... An expert may chime in.

- If the amp works, would it be OK to put the Scott into full time service?
    I do not recommend it - even though I've been using mine on & off for a while. The expert technicians that work on these for a living will tell you to at least re-cap and stabilize the power supply. The weak links are the selenium rectifier, and the filter can-capacitors due to age. If a cap shorts, you could lose a power or audio output transformer, and those are big bucks to replace. I've been lucky. Mine is still dead quiet, with beatiful sonics, but the more I learn, the more cautious I become.

Dino and EasterEverywhere like this.
  21. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Aside from replacing belts and styli, my Thorens TD160c (purchased 1977) is 100% original.

22. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Some gear just seems to always function fine no matter how old it is or no matter what it's been through. Just Lucky gear!

I got a 26 year old Technics EQ that even went through a volcano (Pinatubo). Ash was everywhere, inside, outside, in your mouth and eyes... everywhere. Noon was pitch black. The EQ still works perfect! Use it all the time. It's hooked up to my wife's family room system.

Now the rest of the stereo got trashed, but the EQ just "keeps on keepin on!" Doesn't skip a beat.

23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Sounds like some voltage was leaking from the amp cooking the more fragile tweeters.

24. sami

sami Mono still rules

I've got a Marantz 2238B bought off Craigslist about four years ago that I've done nothing to but a bit of deox-it, and a circa 1980 JVC QL-Y5F turntable that has just been modded a bit (modeling clay in the plinth, new feet).

My New Large Advents were completely restored before I bought them.

25. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Ive got a BeoMaster receiver 4400 from 74 still going strong
    An EMI L2 tape machine from the 50s that runs and vintage mics from that period and earlier, all work

ggergm and MLutthans like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.