Anyone actually seen "Zabriskie Point" (the film) ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by toptentwist, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently discovered that Roy Orbison recorded a "love theme" for the film "Zabriskie Point" ... a track called "So Young"

I own the soundtrack, and it has tracks by Pink Floyd, Jerry Garcia, and The Grateful Dead - but I was previously unaware Roy Orbison had anything to do with the film (in part because his music is missing from the soundtrack album).

Much to my surprised, the Roy Orbison song even MENTIONS "a Zabriskie point of view"...

My ears were surprised to catch those words for two reasons...

1.) It's two words that don't seem to fit into a song lyric
    2.) He said "point of view" - and I always guessed it was like a mountain peak, like you might hike to "Zabriskie Point" for something to do on a weekend.

Or is it both? Namely, a "point of view" one might see from the top of Zabriskie Point ? (wiki shows what is presumably a location with that name)

I have no clue about the film... wikipedia gives a summary - but it also mentions its a famous flop.

Anyone actually seen it ?

Did it end up on the "midnight movie" circuit in the 70s ?

Wiki also mentions something about Rolling Stones music in the film (again, NOT on the soundtrack album) and suggests that the Doors almost donated a film to the project ("L'America").

I've also seen mention that a Roy Orbison song called "Zig Zag" might have also been used in the film, but I've seen a conflicting source say that song was for a different film (so I'm not sure)

Orbison was on the MGM label at the time so his involvement seems to have been a simple commercial reason.

John B Good likes this.
  2. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

I saw part of it many years ago (TV in the '80s I think). It was so boring I gave up on it. However the two young stars made a classicly awkward appearance on The Dick Cavett Show with Mel Brooks and movie reviewer/gossip columnist Rex Reed. It may still be on YT.

IIRC an Orbsion song played over the end credits.

And if I'm not mistaken Zabriskie Point in Death Valley is the lowest point in the US, symbolizing how much America has declined into decadent barbarism or barbaric decadence or whatever etc etc etc...

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I just watched it a few weeks ago, not having seen it since it was released. I had forgotten (if I'd even noticed) Roy's track was in the film, because I have the soundtrack cd, which as you say, doesn't include the song :(

The ending is dynamite.

Old Rusty likes this.
  4. toptentwist

IMDB says the Stones song "You Got The Silver" is in the film too (and not on the soundtrack).

I like the fact that David Lindley's Kaleidoscope has two songs on the soundtrack.

5. John B Good

I didn't notice the Stones, but some of the music is in the background. The soundtrack album is none-the-less a great period piece.

6. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Yes, Zabriskie Point is in Death Valley. However, it is not the lowest point in the US. That is also in Death Valley but it is at Badwater (about half an hour away by car).

7. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

Great movie!

Hall Cat likes this.
  8. Thwacko

Thwacko Forum Resident

I remember it being at a mom and pop video rental place in the 90s, but I never got around to watching it.

9. Worth watching for the big bang at the end and some cool visuals throughout but it's one of those 60's art movies that moves very, very, very slowly. And the main actors can't act. Still worth watching, imho, if you're into that sort of thing.

P(orF) likes this.
  10. toptentwist

I listened to the Roy Orbison song again today after posting this...

He doesn't say "Zabriskie point of view".... I guess I need my ears cleaned. LOL

But he does say "Zabriskie Point is anywhere" and refers to a "a place in time,
    a state of mind, too late I find"

I think my big problem with viewing this on DVD is I'm not too sure the film to
    video transfer would look worthwhile...

And "Zig Zag" is from a movie with the name "Zig Zag" (same studio, MGM, but completely
    different film)

I also read that the Orbison song over the end title credits was added "after the film was
    complete".... it wasn't part of the first set of prints, but I'm confused who may have seen
    a version without it.

I just went and bought a CD retrospective of Kaleidoscope and was surprised to
    discover I was correct to call it "David Lindley's Kaleidoscope" (above) since there
    was a group with the same name from the UK (that apparently is more of
    a prog rock sound than Lindley's band)

11. toptentwist

I've read enough where I'm willing to give it a try.

kevywevy likes this.
  12. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I own a copy and have seen it several times. The politics are pretty dated and are hard to get through. The scenes in Death Valley are the most interesting and the explosion at the end is awesome.

John B Good likes this.
  13. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

Saw it a few decades ago. Not quite the worst movie ever made.

Baby Driver likes this.
  14. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I saw it when it had a cinema re-release in the UK a couple of years ago - very much a film of its time, but I enjoyed it rather more than I remembered doing when having seen a TV screening many years back.

15. Good one! I've seen it, unfortunately. If you dig 'art-movies' then this one might be for you. If you dig entertaining popcorn movies then it will bore you to tears, much like the rest of Antonioni's movies. Or do what I & my buddies used to do: roll a doobie, skip to the last 10 minutes, crank your audio to 11, light your doobie & enjoy the Pink Floydian fireworks!

Zabriskie Point Movie Review & Film Summary (1970) | Roger Ebert »

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

17. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Quite groovy, a bit awkward, but worthwhile

18. John B Good

Great review. I guess as student age at the time of the original movie, probably near to seeing Easy Rider, it was easy to identify with the characters and the POV. I still have the soundtracks of both movies, tho on CD now, compared to the LPs I had way back then.

19. John B Good

As I said, I just recently watched this DVD, the first time seeing the movie since it was released in my student days. At the time I'm sure I had no idea who Antonioni was, but now, when I watched it, it couldn't help but occur to me that BLOW UP would have worked as the title to Zabriskie Point :)

20. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

I wouldn't say that about Blow Up.

21. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I own the film on DVD, and the expanded soundtrack on CD.

22. Most people probably would, though - it is a loosely structured plod that doesn't resolve itself.

23. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

I found it dull, pretentious and clichéd.
    Oh those poor, self righteous hippies railing against the materialistic obstinate man.
    And slow, and plodding, and poorly acted.

But that was years ago.
    I may see it again with fresh eyes.

It did seem more like and excuse for a midnight stoner movie than an actual "art" film.

Mike from NYC likes this.
  24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah, kinda underrated.
    Antonioni is a very visual director. Imagery speaks louder than words.

25. Johnny66

Johnny66 Laird of Boleskine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.