DCC Archive Anyone bought Who: Instant Party yet?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sckott, Sep 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only. Thread Starter

I might go buy the Who Instant Party, but it's like $70 and 3 discs.. but I'm not sure if it's really worth it.... Any feedback? I know we talked about the ICE article. Any 1st hand accounts?

Who's buying? Aaahh!

-Sckott

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Garbage. All dubs from commercial CDs.

3. Unknown

Unknown Guest

Luke -- Is this information first-hand?

4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Here is a thorough first-hand review from alt.music.who. Don't waste your money on this one:

Subject: "Instant Party" (new boot review)
    Newsgroups: alt.music.who
    Date: 2001-09-08 04:12:22 PST

Liars, cheats and thieves! `;-() ("Don't you get fooled again!")

The back cover of the newest Who release on the HIWATT label says:

"Featuring the original 45 mixes sourced from the original masters including
    the "lost" TALMY tapes"

Which is *not* true as anyone can quickly realize after a quick listen... (more
    on that below)

[The full title of this new release is, "The Who Instant Party: The Complete UK
    & USA Singles Collection"]

What we do have here is the *nicest* packaged Who CD boot that has ever been
    released (to date). Featuring glossy, *very* rare, high quality pictures,
    including 3 books (which are stuffed into this odd multi-multi-fold out cover)
    that contain some very unusual content ranging from a large pictorial of Who
    picture sleeves (some/many of which are from the same collection or just lifted
    off of the 2000 tour book), another book which features the 1967 USA tour book
    and another with various articles... all that with several mini-postcard pix
    loosely stuffed in with the books as well...

As for the content on the CDs... that's another story entirely...

As I suspected (after reading a review of the same on alt.music.who), this
    collection consists primarily of dubs off of other CDs, which is noticeable
    immediately upon hearing the common simulated stereo versions of "I Can't
    Explain" and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere". They used the *stereo* mix of "Daddy
    Rolling Stone, which appears on "Two's Missing" and the "30 Years... Box
    Set"... as well as the stereo mix of "I've Been Away". They did however, use
    the correct mono mix of "I Can See For Miles" (as opposed to the CD mono
    version with the overdubbed bass).

Sadly, there are quite a few songs on here which suffer from "chopped" starts,
    which was just careless dubbing since the <obvious> source discs don't have
    that problem. They also goofed and used the UK "Rarities Volume 1&2" CD, which
    chops off the ends of "Baby Don't You Do It" (live) and "Water" (the subsequent
    German release of the same doesn't have these "space saving edits"). Some of
    the Shel Talmy tracks were taken from the "Who Sings My Generation" CD, which
    is apparent by their very tinny sound...

Missing from this "complete" collection, is the 1966 USA ATCO version of
    "Substitute" and "Waltz For A Pig" (which really isn't a Who song, but was
    featured as part of the original single releases) as well as the singles which
    include: "I'm Free", "We're Not Gonna Take It", "See Me, Feel Me", "Overture",
    "Won't Get Fooled Again", "Behind Blue Eyes", "My Wife". And what happened to
    the singles past the September, 1973 UK release of "5:15" (i.e the USA "Quad"
    tracks, "Post Card", "Squeeze Box", etc... Technically, they were correct to
    leave off the "Ready Steady Who" tracks of "Disguises" and "Batman" since that
    release was officially an EP. Perhaps they didn't offer a 3rd disc to complete
    the set due to certain country's copywrite laws on material over 18 years???

Then of course there are the "bonus" tracks (which are not only incorrect
    versions, but also out of track order). As listed on the packaging, they are:

"I'm A Boy" (Long version from Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy)
    "Magic Bus" (Long version from Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy)
    "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" (French E.P. version with alt. vocals)

However, the correct order (and description of the same) are:

"Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" (French EP version)
    "I'm A Boy" (Long version from Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy)
    "Magic Bus" (*Short true stereo version* from Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy CD)

Kinda funny how they got careless here, but accidentally included something
    that is sort of rare now (the stereo version of "Magic Bus").

The price tag (the going price seems to be between $75 & $90) is very high on
    this release for a 2 CD boot. Especially true, when the music tracks are
    basically pirated from legitimate releases. However, the packaging *is*
    extraordinary--but I'm not sure worth the price tag. Anyway, here's the
    <uncorrected> track listing below:

Disc 1: I Can't Explain, Bald Headed Woman, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Daddy
    Rolling Stone, Anytime You Want Me, My Generation, Shout And Shimmy, A Legal
    Matter, Instant Party (Talmy Version), The Kids Are Alright, The Ox, La La La
    Lies, The Good's Gone, Substitute, Circles, (Who Version), I'm A Boy, In The
    City, Happy Jack, I've Been Away, Pictures Of Lily, Doctor, Doctor, The Last
    Time, Under My Thumb, I Can See For Miles, Someone's Coming, Maryanne With The
    Shaky Hand, Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde (US version).

Disc 2: Dogs, Call Me Lightning, Magic Bus, Dr. Jeckyl & Mr. Hyde (UK version),
    Pinball Wizard, Dogs Part 2, The Seeker, Here For More, Summertime Blues,
    Heaven And Hell, I Don't Even Know Myself, Let's See Action, When I Was A Boy,
    Join Together, Baby, Don't Do It, Relay, Waspman, 5:15, Water, I'm A Boy (Long
    version from Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy), Magic Bus (Long version from Meaty
    Beaty Big And Bouncy), Anyway Anyhow Anywhere (French E.P. version with alt.
    vocals)

-wf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.