Anyone buy the new Aerosmith SACD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dean De Furia, Aug 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member Thread Starter

Saw it in the store today, Anyone hear it or can comment. Usually I would just take a shot and buy it but it was a little pricey at $30.00. Thanks!

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

What new Aerosmith SACD?

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I bought it Thursday. Now understand that these aren't audiophile recordings. With that said, I forgot how great some of these mixes are. Michael Fraser mixed Pump and Permanent Vacation. Sure they're hyped and reverbed but I never knew how great they were from the CD versions until I heard this greatest hits SACD. The Brendan O'Brien, Kevin Shirley and Bob Clearmountain mixes are astoundingly good too. However the radio remix of Just Push Play is lame compared to the album mix done by Mike Shipley (also on SACD) which has been inspiring the mixes I've been doing for the last month and the South Beach Mix of Pink is really lame compared to the album version too. What were they thinking with that awful sampled snare drum? Lots of squish on the more recent mixes which makes it powerful. They just jump out at you. The older tunes are far, far, far superior than any other version released. They're big, full and wide. I'm not really a fan of Aerosmith but these discs are full of absolutely amazing tunes. Hmmm, maybe I am an Aerosmith fan.

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

By the way, the disc I bought had a multichannel sticker and plastic sleeve but the disc is only stereo. Don't know if that matters to anyone.

5. Dean De Furia

Jamie, Thanks I purchased the disc and am listening to it now. It does sound great although It is mastered louder than past CD's. The 90's stuff sounds amazing (no pun intended). I have a slight preference for the mastering of the Columbia stuff from Pandora's Box. It seems smoother. For example, on "Last Child" on the SACD the guitar seems to be more upfront where on the older mastering the mix seems well balanced and smooth. I think some EQ was used. "Dream On" is fantastic on SACD. You can almost hear Steven's breath between words! All in all a nice 2 disc set.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

As a rabid SACD fan I bought this one too. At Fry's they are $24.99.

I've never really liked Aerosmith and I've certainly never owned any of their stuff. I think I judged them pretty harshly by what I saw on TV.

So - I can draw no real comparisons. But I must say, I like this double SACD. I'm surprised that I know many of these songs - given that I didn't think I was a fan. I guess they must have slipped in sideways. The band does know how to keep the beat, that's for sure. I don't think I'll be buying any more by Steve Tyler and the lads (I hope I have the name right) but I certainly won't sell this SACD. It's a lot of fun and it sounds great.

I'm not sure if I would have paid $30 though.

Regards,
    Metralla

7. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I think the older stuff on Pandora's Box was remixed. An old girlfriend of mine had that box (AHEM) and I think I recall seeing a remix credit. If that's true I would be curious to know how it was.

8. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

I don't know, but I always thought that some of the songs were redone from the multitracks, when that percussion instrument on "sweet emotion" comes on at the beginning of the track, it spins me around in my chair. I never compared it to any other source, however.

9. Dean De Furia

As far as I can tell, The only stuff that was remixed for Pandora's Box was the unreleased stuff and a promo single of Sweet Emotion that was used in the video. That single mix was not on the box set, though. They used the LP version. "Last Child" was from the from the 1st gen master and it is longer than the LP version as it is not faded out at the end (it has a cold ending). I must say that as I revisit this box the content AND sound are really first rate on most of the songs.

10. AliMorid

AliMorid New Member

So, how's the Run DMC track on there? I can only imagine how awesome it would be to hear them in SACD!

11. axis

axis New Member

I did an A/B/C comparison on the SACD, CD and original US LP. I thought the LP still sounded best and that the CD and SACD were pretty equal. I used 'Last Child' from 'Rocks' as my reference. Right now the rest of my system is better than my SACD player (Sony NS500V) so it may not be a fair comparison.

Could someone with a better SACD player and a good turntable do an A/B and post the results? If most reissues on SACD aren't going to surpass the original vinyl, I may be able to save some money.

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Aerosmith was mastered to 20-bit. They could easilly bring the Hi-Res masters to SACD, unless they feel it needs to be done over again. The Don DeVito/Vic Anesini CDs are where people will find the best. The debut never sounded as good.

But please stay away from the "Oh Yeah" POS. Your original CDs on your SACD player will sound infinately better, and will be the NORMAL versions.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

20 bit isn't really that Hi-Res anymore. Even 24 bit is Low-Res when compared to DSD. I even feel that my 24/96 masters are inadequate now but since I don't have a DSD recorder yet they'll have to make do. DSD is just a whole new ball game, hell, it's a whole new sport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.